Healthcare Law and St. Louis University

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: Healthcare Law and St. Louis University

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Rando: That is due to your inexperience as you are still a law student. Don't rely on my experience & opinion, contact the law school placement offices of niche ranked law schools for tax law, patent law, environmental law, labor law & healthcare law.
I think that you are more interested in arguing than in learning.
Rando: "Sports law" is not a recognized specialty area of law to the best of my knowledge. It is primarily contract law.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 pm

USNews ranks nine specialty areas of law:
1) Dispute resolution
2) Clinical training
3) Environmental law
4) Health law
5) Intellectual (IP) property law
6) International law
7) Legal writing
8) Trial advocacy
9) Tax law

Of these nine areas, niche rankings are important in four areas: tax law, environmental law, health law, as well as for intellectual property & patent law. Additionally, labor law is a law school specialty that some employers recognize. Niche rankings are especially important for all intellectual property & patent law programs, the top three tax law programs, the top two environmental law programs, and several of the health law programs.
Additionally, clinical training is relevant to & respected by many employers.
Niche rankings in legal writing, dispute resolution, trial advocacy and, to my knowledge, international law are largely irrelevant to employers.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Interesting points, Canadian Wolf. And thank you for clarifying, Rando.

The problem I see with SLU (as it relates to national health law placement) is that St. Louis has a large and well-established health and medical system. While it may be possible to go elsewhere upon graduation, I can see many SLU grads self-selecting to remain in St. Louis. This may skew the career placement statistics.

(Just something else to take into consideration). Great discussion thus far, very helpful.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Rando: That is due to your inexperience as you are still a law student. Don't rely on my experience & opinion, contact the law school placement offices of niche ranked law schools for tax law, patent law, environmental law, labor law & healthcare law.
I think that you are more interested in arguing than in learning.
Rando: "Sports law" is not a recognized specialty area of law to the best of my knowledge. It is primarily contract law.

I specifically said that I did not know, regarding Sports Law. I don't have a particular need to argue for the sake of arguing, but you have still not credited your response. You say I don't want to learn, teach me!!!! You say to go to the carer office at schools that are niche ranked. And then you point me to the niche rankings. Are you kidding?
What do you do? Where are you located? What is it about your position in the legal world that makes your experience in seeing how employers react to rankings so much superior to mine?

To OP: Take this for what it is worth - If you are deadset on healthlaw and you know that is what you want to get into upon graduation, then find out more. DO NOT go to the career office. If anyone is biased, it is a school reliant on their niche rankings to sell admissions spots. Keep talking to lawyers in the field. Ask them specifically about niche rankings and how that should affect your decision. You mentioned that lawyers in the area find SLU and WUSTL interchangeable. I find this very hard to believe; as another poster mentioned, look through the firm listings and if an SLU grad is side by side a WUSTL grad but with latin honors, publication and law review, then you know the firm may be digging deeper at SLU. This may not help your health law career aspects if there are more specific employers that only go to SLU but it may give you an idea of school prestige if your career goals changed.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Tax Law rankings are mostly for LLMs. A number of the schools in the USNWR tax rankings don't even offer LLMs.

BU, UCLA, and Miami are ranked 6th, Michigan is 9 and Stanford is 10. Even for tax law, I would always recommend (barring geographic or scholarship considerations) somebody go to Stanford before any of those others. UF is 3, Northwestern is 4, Harvard is 5, but nobody should ever even consider UF or NU better than HLS - even for tax.

The part that's true is NYU is #1, and GULC and UF are 2 and 3. But this is for LLMs. Penn and Duke are unranked in tax law, but you'd do much better getting your JD there than UF, even for tax. UF has a very highly regarded tax faculty and offers LLM and JSD in tax. But the JD is still a UF JD.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the responses. I guess my thought was that with what I want to do with my career having the JD (from the top health law school) and a PhD in medical ethics would be better than just getting the JD from a better school.

I was thinking about maybe working for a medical school in their general counsel and then teach med. ethics as well.

I dont know...I'll keep thinking about it, but this has been helpful...but at the same time almost confusing. I guess I understand that niche rankings might not make all the difference in the world, BUT...if you are the best at a particular thing you would think that employers would know that. Furthermore, if you are receiving a JD/PhD in that field then they will see that field on your resume as soon as they pick it up and thus know you went to the best school for that focus area. Furthermore, couldn't one argue that if they are supposedly the best in that area that they have more connections in that area than other law schools do?

Thanks again...maybe someone can/will take up the above questions too.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:59 am

Get JD from best school you can, Get MHA or MPH at same time.

There is nothing that a "niche" law program can offer that having a Master's in that area won't suffice.

AttractiveNuisance

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

WUSTL is comparable to SLU in St. Louis. The superior status of WUSTL is counter-weighted by the fear of local firms that WUSTL graduates are not likely to stay in the area. It is a very real fear, as evidenced by the placement numbers. SLU graduates are far more likely to be long-term employees in the St. Louis area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”