Life at Villanova vs. Temple

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Spinner

Life at Villanova vs. Temple

Postby Spinner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:29 am

In the process of making a final decision between Villanova & Temple and would love any input.

I've hashed out all the issues relating to job prospects, costs, etc. I'm actually mostly looking for input on lifestyle questions. Temple would be an hour train ride each way every day while Villanova would be a local drive. And obviously the schools are very different in urban vs. suburban.

I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference--but looking for any impressions that others had on these factors. Anyone else facing a long commute? Is an hour long commute reasonable for what will already be busy days? Anyone have any thoughts on the culture/actual students/feel at these schools?

As I said, I know this is about personal preference and I have visited each school, but I'm struggling to make a final decision so any input would be great.

x47point6

Re: Life at Villanova vs. Temple

Postby x47point6 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:20 am

Anecdotally, everyone I know who went to Temple for UG has at least one good mugging or car burglary story. And by good I mean bad.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 am

also septa is a bit unreliable and strikes are not uncommon

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 am

Good hell. Everytime I read something about Philadelphia, it pushes me more and more into the Pitt column when the question is Pitt vs. Villanova.

I'm a native of the DC area, who, for some reason, rarely made it north of Baltimore -- and when I did, it was to NY, not Philly. How would you compare Philly to DC, and Philly to Baltimore? In other words, which does Philly resemble more?

I know that Villanova is in the burbs ... but if I go there, there's a good chance that my first job will be in Philly if I don't make it to DC, or elsewhere in the East, and I'd like to not loathe the city I'm in.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:08 am

FunkyJD wrote:Good hell. Everytime I read something about Philadelphia, it pushes me more and more into the Pitt column when the question is Pitt vs. Villanova.

I'm a native of the DC area, who, for some reason, rarely made it north of Baltimore -- and when I did, it was to NY, not Philly. How would you compare Philly to DC, and Philly to Baltimore? In other words, which does Philly resemble more?

I know that Villanova is in the burbs ... but if I go there, there's a good chance that my first job will be in Philly if I don't make it to DC, or elsewhere in the East, and I'd like to not loathe the city I'm in.

there's a huge amount of people at nova that came from the DC area. i would say philly resembles DC more than baltimore, but that could just be because i hate baltimore...lots of bad experiences.

every city has its bad areas, and unfortunately temple is situated in such an area. but there is SO much about philly that is NOT crime ridden. its actually an incredibly beautiful city with priceless history. to say philly is generally a dangerous city is to say you can't walk in times square without getting shot.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:09 am

bitlrc wrote:also septa is a bit unreliable and strikes are not uncommon

+1 septa blows

Spinner wrote:In the process of making a final decision between Villanova & Temple and would love any input.

I've hashed out all the issues relating to job prospects, costs, etc. I'm actually mostly looking for input on lifestyle questions. Temple would be an hour train ride each way every day while Villanova would be a local drive. And obviously the schools are very different in urban vs. suburban.

I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference--but looking for any impressions that others had on these factors. Anyone else facing a long commute? Is an hour long commute reasonable for what will already be busy days? Anyone have any thoughts on the culture/actual students/feel at these schools?

As I said, I know this is about personal preference and I have visited each school, but I'm struggling to make a final decision so any input would be great.

i'm a 1L at nova and i live 1/2 mile from the campus, so i don't have a commute. a lot of people commute from philly here and take septa. the general consensus seems to be that its not that bad, but that's because the commute is only 20 minutes. honestly, if i had to commute an hour i would be pissed. but some people can use that commute on a train and get some work done. i am not one of those people.

the students at nova are great. everyone is super friendly and excited to meet new people.

my theory is this: the people at villanova are generally friendlier and more excited to be there than the people at temple. this is because there is a large number of people that attend temple over villanova because they want to be in a city, not so much that they want to be at temple. you can't say the same for suburban schools. i'm sure there are a number of people that attend villanova because of being suburban, but i can say with confidence that its not as many as their counterpart. so logically you end up with a lot more that attend villanova because they want to attend villanova. that makes for a better environment.

again, i attend villanova, so i'm probably biased, but this is my theory and what i've gathered in my experience here. but like you said, OP, it comes down to personal preference.

Spinner

Postby Spinner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks all and another question to Mikeyp--

When I visited Temple I did like the commitment to public interest law that they seemed to have. Do you think students are service minded at Villanova? I don't want to go into public service after law school & would like to be at a firm, but expect pro bono work to be important to me and to maybe eventually get into something more public interest minded after time.

Also, not to be totally simplistic but I sometimes hear about Villanova being snobby, etc. When I visited I thought everyone was really nice and inclusive, but as an undergrad I did end up transferring from a school that was similar in demographics to Villanova. I found the people to mostly be entitled and out for themselves. Obviously you go to Villanova & I'm sure you obviously are having a good experience, but I'm just curious what you think of that characterization by some.

At the end of the day these things aren't going to decide what is an important professional decision for me, but since I will be spending 3 years of my life at whichever school I go to I do want to think through the factors that are going to make me happy on a daily basis.

keemos

Postby keemos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 pm

mikeyp wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Good hell. Everytime I read something about Philadelphia, it pushes me more and more into the Pitt column when the question is Pitt vs. Villanova.

there's a huge amount of people at nova that came from the DC area. i would say philly resembles DC more than baltimore, but that could just be because i hate baltimore...lots of bad experiences.

every city has its bad areas, and unfortunately temple is situated in such an area. but there is SO much about philly that is NOT crime ridden. its actually an incredibly beautiful city with priceless history. to say philly is generally a dangerous city is to say you can't walk in times square without getting shot.

+1 I have gone from being all about Temple to all about Pittsburgh (or Winston Salem)

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm

I've been to Pitt (actually there now on a visit) and Philly many times, and although I really enjoy Pitt I dont think it holds a candle to Philly, but of course that is subjective. I have also visited W-S, though only for a day I would say city wise it doesn't hold a candle to either Pitt of Philly. Though Wake's campus was amazing! Any extra advice from current students would be great because I am also in the same dilemma (Villanova $$ v. Temple $$ v. Wake )

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Spinner wrote:Thanks all and another question to Mikeyp--

When I visited Temple I did like the commitment to public interest law that they seemed to have. Do you think students are service minded at Villanova? I don't want to go into public service after law school & would like to be at a firm, but expect pro bono work to be important to me and to maybe eventually get into something more public interest minded after time.

Also, not to be totally simplistic but I sometimes hear about Villanova being snobby, etc. When I visited I thought everyone was really nice and inclusive, but as an undergrad I did end up transferring from a school that was similar in demographics to Villanova. I found the people to mostly be entitled and out for themselves. Obviously you go to Villanova & I'm sure you obviously are having a good experience, but I'm just curious what you think of that characterization by some.

At the end of the day these things aren't going to decide what is an important professional decision for me, but since I will be spending 3 years of my life at whichever school I go to I do want to think through the factors that are going to make me happy on a daily basis.

Villanova is HUGE on pro bono, community service, etc. that kind of stuff. So yes, I would say people are "service minded" in that regard, because the school fosters that kind of environment. The faculty and admin push really hard to do all sorts of community service things. BUT that is not to say that everyone who goes here wants to go into public service, because that couldn't be further from the truth. There is a balance. If it helps, I also have no interest in going into public service as a career.

As far as snobby, its completely untrue as far as the law school goes. I've heard that the undergrads have developed that kind of reputation, and I wouldn't have a hard time believing it. They sneak into the law school at times and they are incredibly obnoxious, but I've rarely had an encounter with any. But there are no snobby attitudes amongst the law students; no one has a chip on their shoulder...well, ok maybe there's one person I can think of.

It is true, there are some students here that come from some money. I am not one of them ( :( ), but its no different than any other school you go to. Law school is not like some undergrad institutions, where they attract people in the immediate area, i.e., Villanova undergrad. There are a fair amount of people from the area, but none are snobby. And the vast majority of the students are from outside the area, too. According to the website, 66% are from out of state.

keemos

Postby keemos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:I've been to Pitt (actually there now on a visit) and Philly many times, and although I really enjoy Pitt I dont think it holds a candle to Philly, but of course that is subjective. I have also visited W-S, though only for a day I would say city wise it doesn't hold a candle to either Pitt of Philly. Though Wake's campus was amazing! Any extra advice from current students would be great because I am also in the same dilemma (Villanova $$ v. Temple $$ v. Wake )

In the end it is probably more about Philly vs. Pitt vs. Charlotte, not W-S. I know Philly has a better legal market but personally I would enjoy living in Pittsburgh or NC which is what my decision probably will come down to

Return to “Choosing a Law School”