Wash U $$$..Berkeley ???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
allstarballer22

Wash U $$$..Berkeley ???

Postby allstarballer22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Hey All.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and very helpful candid advice. I received the Scholars in Law Award at Wash U for 3 years totaling 130k. I have yet to hear back from Berkeley regarding financial aid or any scholarships. What do you think at this point?

ndpfn

Re: Wash U $$$..Berkeley ???

Postby ndpfn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Location preference?

Goals after graduation?

How important is the moeny issue?

thegrandinquisitor

Postby thegrandinquisitor » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Last edited by thegrandinquisitor on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:40 pm

I currently live in California and went to Berkeley for undergrad. I am thinking big law..corporate maybe eventually entertainment as well. I am in debt about 40k already but I am not too debt averse. I am leaning towards Berkeley..but it's a bit daunting with almost a full ride being offered...

ndpfn

Postby ndpfn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:44 pm

If you're ok with the debt, given you're desire to try to crack entertainment law, it's Berkeley no contest.

WUSTL won't get you as far in CA as it would in the midwest or east coast.

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Ok. Thanks for the quick responses! Much appreciated..

Emboss

Postby Emboss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 pm

I am currently going to Wash U. I'm someone who turned down the T14 for the high aid offer. However, I agree with the above poster. Only 8% of 2008 Wash U graduates went to California. This is likely self-selection to some extent, since people probably choose to go to USC instead of Wash U if they wish to end up in California. However, it might NOT be self-selection because Wash U has relatively few alumni in the region. You would be wise to go to Berkeley for California until Wash U improves its placement there.

However, I have found that my career prospects are quite good. I was nervous about the prospects due to TLS flamers who, for whatever reason, don't like Wash U. But anecdotally, I'm doing quite well and haven't had to stress about jobs in the least. There are, of course, many towards the bottom of our class who will not get jobs this summer. However, note that there are 10 people in our career services office. This increase in staff members is a recent development as of 2008. 10 CSO people offer way, way more personal attention than other law schools are able to provide, and these CSO members, as part of their jobs, fly around the country to up the prestige of our school while passing around your resume--yes, they do this quite frequently, and yes our CSO staff makes an effort to get to know us personally--to employers they think would like you. I can confidently say that it is thanks to the new CSO staff that I received several job offers for this summer. Mike Spivey, the CSO dean, is exceptional.

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Wow. The caliber and quality of your response is very impressive and thoughtful. I can only hope to follow in these footsteps. The job prospects in CA do seem a bit bleak..I am leaning towards the Berk option (fingers crossed on reserve at Columbia..) but the career center at WASh U seems amazing with 10 full time staff. Wow. Thanks once again for your response.

arden

Postby arden » Mon May 24, 2010 8:09 pm

As you are probably aware, WUSTL garners little respect in California, while Berkeley commands more respect than all but the t-3, maybe t-4. I suspect that WUSTL's lack of presence in California may be a form of self selection, but it is a form of self selection that occurs in deciding where to attend law school, not after graduation. Most applicants from California are aware of the fact that WUSTL is unknown here and wisely choose other schools that will provide better opportunities when they return.

ck3

Postby ck3 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Emboss wrote:I am currently going to Wash U. I'm someone who turned down the T14 for the high aid offer. However, I agree with the above poster. Only 8% of 2008 Wash U graduates went to California. This is likely self-selection to some extent, since people probably choose to go to USC instead of Wash U if they wish to end up in California. However, it might NOT be self-selection because Wash U has relatively few alumni in the region. You would be wise to go to Berkeley for California until Wash U improves its placement there.

However, I have found that my career prospects are quite good. I was nervous about the prospects due to TLS flamers who, for whatever reason, don't like Wash U. But anecdotally, I'm doing quite well and haven't had to stress about jobs in the least. There are, of course, many towards the bottom of our class who will not get jobs this summer. However, note that there are 10 people in our career services office. This increase in staff members is a recent development as of 2008. 10 CSO people offer way, way more personal attention than other law schools are able to provide, and these CSO members, as part of their jobs, fly around the country to up the prestige of our school while passing around your resume--yes, they do this quite frequently, and yes our CSO staff makes an effort to get to know us personally--to employers they think would like you. I can confidently say that it is thanks to the new CSO staff that I received several job offers for this summer. Mike Spivey, the CSO dean, is exceptional.

Thanks for this post because it was very informative. WUSTL is high on my list.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 24, 2010 11:57 pm

If you want California, go to Berkeley. It is one of the few schools that one can be justified in paying sticker for (at least IMO), especially if you want Cali.

But if you aren't set on practicing in California, WUSTL is a great option. Berkeley is INSANELY expensive and I don't think it is worth an extra 150-180k in debt when you have a T20 school at nearly full tuition as an option. But I have to ask... why is USC not an option?

Also, +1 to everything emboss said.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Berkeley no question. I turned down Wash U's $$$ for Berkeley at sticker. Getting a biglaw gig when not in the t6 isn't guaranteed anymore (t6 may not even be guaranteed). With that in mind, t10 significantly increases your chances of a biglaw job. Moreover, Berkeley offers portability and a great name, which opens up more avenues and doors.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 12:01 am

Also +1 to ppa... If you are looking for biglaw, definitely Berk. WUSTL has never been a big law powerhouse. It can get you a good job, but your odds of biglaw diminish significantly.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 am

Berkeley no question. I got in for undergrad and decided on a different UC. While I don't regret that, I wish I could take my undergrad acceptance and redeem it for admittance to Boalt. Boalt over Wash U (regardless of cash) all day long.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 am

You guys realize this thread is two months old, don't you? :wink:

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:52 am

JCougar wrote:You guys realize this thread is two months old, don't you? :wink:

Does it matter? I'm still choosing between a T20 with scholly (now ranked 22), a T2 (with near full ride), and another T2 that has been really really nice to me. Just because it's May 24th doesn't mean we've all made decisions.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 1:04 am

lawman2010 wrote:

Does it matter? I'm still choosing between a T20 with scholly (now ranked 22), a T2 (with near full ride), and another T2 that has been really really nice to me. Just because it's May 24th doesn't mean we've all made decisions.

Good catch, JCoug. I didn't even notice that haha.

But lawman... what are the schools? Seeing as this thread is dead, I don't suppose the OP will mind the thread hijack.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:

But lawman... what are the schools? Seeing as this thread is dead, I don't suppose the OP will mind the thread hijack.

T20 is Minnesota (~$10K per year)
Near full ride is USF (~$30K per year, plus grant)
Other T2 is McGeorge (~ $20K per year)

My girlfriend is in at McG and on waitlist at USF. Fact is, we want to be at same school. So maybe my decision isn't too difficult after all...

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed May 26, 2010 1:41 pm

lawman2010 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:

My girlfriend is in at McG and on waitlist at USF. Fact is, we want to be at same school. So maybe my decision isn't too difficult after all...

Well if you guys are that serious, then you're right, I guess your decision is already made up for you haha.... :wink:

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed May 26, 2010 1:52 pm

lawman2010 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:

It's hard to offer advice without knowing more. How serious is this relationship? Unless you see yourself putting a ring on her finger sometime, I really don't think what she's doing should factor in much. Beyond the relationship, what are your location and career preferences? How debt adverse are you, and what is your expected indebtedness upon graduation from each? I'm tempted to say UMN without knowing more because of better career prospects. Note that I'm going to UMN in the fall (barring some late love from Cornell) though, so I'm probably biased, but I do think it's the best option out of what you've listed.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
It's hard to offer advice without knowing more. How serious is this relationship? Unless you see yourself putting a ring on her finger sometime, I really don't think what she's doing should factor in much. Beyond the relationship, what are your location and career preferences? How debt adverse are you, and what is your expected indebtedness upon graduation from each? I'm tempted to say UMN without knowing more because of better career prospects. Note that I'm going to UMN in the fall (barring some late love from Cornell) though, so I'm probably biased, but I do think it's the best option out of what you've listed.

Thanks for advice you guys. And to answer the question, I can absolutely see myself giving her ring. Want to work in SF eventually. And to make things even harder, I'm also waiting for some "late love" from Cornell.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 pm

lawman2010 wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Thanks for advice you guys. And to answer the question, I can absolutely see myself giving her ring. Want to work in SF eventually. And to make things even harder, I'm also waiting for some "late love" from Cornell.

Well if the relationship is that serious and you want to work in SF, then UMN is probably not the best choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”