Seattle vs. Hofstra

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
secretasianman

Seattle vs. Hofstra

Postby secretasianman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:30 pm

have at it.
employment, cof, anything that will help me make a decision if it comes down to these two (yet to hear from majority of schools ive applied to). $15k renewable scholly from hofstra, possible scholarship in the mail from SU

patrickd139

Re: Seattle vs. Hofstra

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 pm

secretasianman wrote:have at it.
employment, cof, anything that will help me make a decision if it comes down to these two (yet to hear from majority of schools ive applied to). $15k renewable scholly from hofstra, possible scholarship in the mail from SU

NY state or Seattle? That's the only way I would personally evaluate this. Statistically, neither degree travels well at all outside those areas. Also, what are the conditions on the scholarship from HofsTTTra?

Based on the very limited information you provided in this post, I would choose SeaTTTle, knowing full-well that you're facing an uphill battle in the job market at either school.

secretasianman

Postby secretasianman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
secretasianman wrote:have at it.

NY state or Seattle? That's the only way I would personally evaluate this. Statistically, neither degree travels well at all outside those areas. Also, what are the conditions on the scholarship from HofsTTTra?

Based on the very limited information you provided in this post, I would choose SeaTTTle, knowing full-well that you're facing an uphill battle in the job market at either school.

thanks for the response. to give you a little more info, the scholly at Hofstra is renewable as long as i stay in the top 40%. I live in Seattle and so the school is pretty close but I really want to get out of the Seattle/Washington area. I definetely don't want to live here for the rest of my life. I wouldn't mind living in NY after law school. I'm just worried about how difficult it will be to get a job out of Hofstra and whether i will have a better shot of landing a decent job out of Seattle. That being said, I haven't heard back from the other 12 schools I've applied to so this is a dilemma I may be able to avoid if I get into miami or scu, etc.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Seattle University places better in Washington than Hofstra does in NY. COL is probably also much more reasonable in Seattle, which would seem to negate the value of the Hofstra scholly.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:47 am

secretasianman wrote:thanks for the response. to give you a little more info, the scholly at Hofstra is renewable as long as i stay in the top 40%. I live in Seattle and so the school is pretty close but I really want to get out of the Seattle/Washington area. I definetely don't want to live here for the rest of my life. I wouldn't mind living in NY after law school. I'm just worried about how difficult it will be to get a job out of Hofstra and whether i will have a better shot of landing a decent job out of Seattle. That being said, I haven't heard back from the other 12 schools I've applied to so this is a dilemma I may be able to avoid if I get into miami or scu, etc.

12 law schools are a lot to hear back from. Definitely don't make a decision until they're all in.

Based on the rest of the info above, go to Seattle. You're from the area (Don't ever underestimate the power this has when nailing down a job.), and you just casually say you "wouldn't mind" living in NY. Which part of NY? I ask only because you're going to have to be top of your class at Hofstra (and I don't mean top 40%, or even top third, but higher) to land a midlaw job anywhere in the state. You can statistically forget about biglaw at Hofstra (and you won't make enough in midlaw/"shitlaw" to pay off your loans and live in NYC), whereas you might have an outside shot at both from Seattle. My advice: if you want to get out of Seattle, Washington area, pick another school than HofsTTTra to leave for.

Final, general advice: I would advise against taking any conditional scholarship from a law school at which you would not be comfortable paying full tuition. It might sting the pride now, but trust me on this. There are probably 100 very legitimate ways in which you could not make the top 40%.

secretasianman

Postby secretasianman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:12 am

very helpful, thanks guys!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”