Tell me why Philly is awesome

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jack duluoz

Re: Tell me why Philly is awesome

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:49 pm

because not only is it one of the largest cities in the US, it is also one of the poorest!

yes, blatant anti-philly trolling. :mrgreen:

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:51 pm

feel like its super dirty and there is a lack of green in walking distance from downtown sure there are a few squares...

Fairmount seems like a hike from most downtown spots..

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:But let's be honest - that sign, just like all the bumper stickers and T-shirts to the same effect, isn't coming from a good place.

Yeah, I think the place it's coming from is: If we're gonna keep this union together, we all need to be speaking the same language. Literally.

In case you guys haven't noticed, but our society is literally crumbling before our very eyes. To think it's not in some way due to the lack of social (and yes, linguistic) cohesion of our citizens is myopic.

Everyone keeps forgetting that the sign is going to discriminate mostly against people who shouldn't be here in the FIRST place. Most legitimate/legal hispanics in the Philly area are bilingual, at least enough to order a cheesesteak.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:Most of us legal immigrants are required to speak English in order to enter the country. And most of us spend years trying to master it. I don't see why illegals can't, especially it would help them greatly. And what sense does it make to go up to a caucasion American and try to order something in Spanish?

Most people who are attempting to learn English still speak their native language in the parts they don't know the English for yet. Things like this are used to discriminate against people, not just who can't speak English, but who can't speak English well, or even who speak with a thick accent (which often happens to people who learn English as a second language). The language argument is really used as a way to target such people (selectively) without being called racist.

Which is why I don't let them get away with it and still call them racists.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Headybrah wrote:feel like its super dirty and there is a lack of green in walking distance from downtown sure there are a few squares...

Fairmount seems like a hike from most downtown spots..

More greens than NYC unfortunately. Ben Franklin Parkway starts 2 blocks south of city hall, and Art Musuem is about 1 mile away on the parkway. If you are coming from Penn, Art Musuem is 5 blocks away. You just have to go North on 32nd for 3 blocks, then go east across the Spring Garden bridge and you are right there. Many Penn apartments really are within walking distance to Art Musuem if you go that way.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:But let's be honest - that sign, just like all the bumper stickers and T-shirts to the same effect, isn't coming from a good place.

Yeah, I think the place it's coming from is: If we're gonna keep this union together, we all need to be speaking the same language. Literally.

In case you guys haven't noticed, but our society is literally crumbling before our very eyes. To think it's not in some way due to the lack of social (and yes, linguistic) cohesion of our citizens is myopic.

Ok guy. Cause there have never been any immigrants in America since the English arrived. Except for the Irish.

And wtf language is myopic? This thread is in English. Not Affectating Douche.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:00 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Most of us legal immigrants are required to speak English in order to enter the country. And most of us spend years trying to master it. I don't see why illegals can't, especially it would help them greatly. And what sense does it make to go up to a caucasion American and try to order something in Spanish?

Most people who are attempting to learn English still speak their native language in the parts they don't know the English for yet. Things like this are used to discriminate against people, not just who can't speak English, but who can't speak English well, or even who speak with a thick accent (which often happens to people who learn English as a second language). The language argument is really used as a way to target such people (selectively) without being called racist.

Which is why I don't let them get away with it and still call them racists.

I am not arguing that the motivation is not racist, I am simply saying the language argument can stand on its own. As I am a supporter of English mastery, yet I am not racist.

I had to pass a language test to be naturalized. I had to learn English before I received a visa to come here.

I don't construe the sign to read "speak perfect/anglo/native English", I read it as "don't speak Spanish" (this was his reason BTW).

If you want to aruge that language arguement could be racist in disguise, then maybe we shouldn't ask anyone who isn't native born to take the LSAT? :wink: I don't really think it represent my potential and abilities.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:05 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:

Ok guy. Cause there have never been any immigrants in America since the English arrived. Except for the Irish.

+1. I consider myself pretty conservative, but if I hear one more idiot Limbaugh warshipping right winger say that our country is crumbling before our eyes, that our baby eating communist president from Kenya is going to sell us to the Muslims, etc. etc., I'm just going to . . . oh, I don't know, fart in their general direction or something. Don't think I'm taking the ultra Lefty Loopy side, though. They are equally annoying, and deserve an equal amount of flatulance. Use your head people - don't just jump on bandwagons.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm

You can get in and out of the city in a reasonable amount of time, unlike NYC, which I really like. The worst part about New York to me is the sense that you're pretty much trapped there and moving around is a big hassle. People in Brooklyn think New Jersey is practically on another planet, despite it being maybe 2-3 miles away across the river.

As for safety, certain parts of the city are more dangerous than others, but any large city is gonna have it's sketchy areas. I've never felt at all uneasy walking around in Center City or the Historic/Society Hill area, but once you get north of Temple I wouldn't recommend wandering around by yourself after dark...

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 pm

- UPenn has a gorgeous campus
- the city has amazing history including independence hall, first congressional meetinghouse, and the first supreme court building
- It's more affordable than other big cities
- Great places to eat

...basically, if you like big cities, but don't want to be broke, then Philly is the place for you

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 pm

I will probably be headed to Michigan in the fall, but I live in Philly currently. I love Philly and will miss it. I'm a musician, and I live on Ave of the Arts, which is pretty much perfect. Its affordable and center city is great.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Plus, as others have mentioned, you get the thrill of watching It's Always Sunny and saying "Hey, I know where that is!"

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Agreed. I live in New Mexico and I know all too well about this issue. If you don't think this could turn into a problem look to Canada with Quebec. Those fuckers are always trying to seperate from the country.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:14 am

scionb4 wrote:
The Pen Is Mightier wrote:

+1. I consider myself pretty conservative, but if I hear one more idiot Limbaugh warshipping right winger say that our country is crumbling before our eyes, that our baby eating communist president from Kenya is going to sell us to the Muslims, etc. etc., I'm just going to . . . oh, I don't know, fart in their general direction or something. Don't think I'm taking the ultra Lefty Loopy side, though. They are equally annoying, and deserve an equal amount of flatulance. Use your head people - don't just jump on bandwagons.

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down. Baby eating communist? Rush Limbaugh?

Look, just so you know who you're talking to, I think George Bush and Dick Cheney should be publicly executed, sooner rather than later. Luckily there's no statute of limitation for murder. Our country has been going through a 5 spiral crash (to borrow a phrase from W) since the completely irrational and continued response to 9/11. I go so far as to claim that the downfall began with Watergate, where "too big to go to jail" culminated in "too big to fail."

And when I say our nation is crumbling before our very eyes...I'm referring to unchecked greed which led to a colossal home mortgage fraud, a lack of national political interest in ethical standards or pursuit of justice, which led to handing hundreds of billions of dollars to people who just lost hundreds of billions of dollars through fraud and corruption.

All of this...comes from a lack of social cohesion and rational political discourse. This stems from a lack of unification around what our country's morals and ethical standards are. And certainly some of that comes from an inability to communicate with each other. Has there in the past, and will there be going forward, been a transitional phase for immigrants, a period where they don't speak English? Of course!!!! But we live in a different world today, where our fucking publicly funded government schools accommodate people who can't speak English by teaching them in their native tongue. Because if you don't support this, you're a racist asshole. Do you really think that we're helping them?? Of course not. The way you learn a language is through brutal immersion and struggle. If you thought about this for one goddam second you would realize I'm right but apparently you don't seem to care enough about the actual outcomes of these people.

I'll have you know, that immigrants bring 'old world' ethical standards and moral values to this country. Unfortunately, this aspect of immigration never benefits our nation, when these same immigrants simply choose to live amongst themselves, go to school in their native language and not become part of the melting pot. Oh wait, because of this, we now have to call it a FUCKING tossed salad. End rant.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:18 am

Time to get this thread back on track!

Cheesesteaks. Campo's on Market and 2nd. You can thank me later.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:18 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:And when I say our nation is crumbling before our very eyes...I'm referring to unchecked greed which led to a colossal home mortgage fraud, a lack of national political interest in ethical standards or pursuit of justice, which led to handing hundreds of billions of dollars to people who just lost hundreds of billions of dollars through fraud and corruption.

All of this...comes from a lack of social cohesion and rational political discourse. This stems from a lack of unification around what our country's morals and ethical standards are.

--ImageRemoved--

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 am

r6_philly wrote:
HBK wrote:Philly is NYC's dirtier, more violent little brother.

They do have Morimoto's though. If you go visit you should definitely eat at Morimoto's.

Are you talking about the part of Philly that most of you will get to know (as visiting law students) or the parts of Philly I know? The part of Philly that most of you who are not natives will ever get to know are wonderful. It is the rest of the city that is bad. I don't know about dirtier/more violent though if you compare to the right parts of NYC.

I don't really remember where I stayed. It was within walking distance of Morimoto- I remember that much. It wasn't pretty, but didn't feel unsafe. I did drive by some iffy areas- and accidentally drove into Camden.

My trips to Philly were a couple years ago, when I had clients in the area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”