Tell me why Philly is awesome Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Tell me why Philly is awesome

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:24 pm

HBK wrote:
Puffy wrote:Are people seriously arguing that the sign that was posted earlier is just some business owner letting his customers know that he does not understand languages other than English?
I am not from Philly and have only visited a handful of times. Is there some subtext to this sign/restaurant that only a Philly resident would understand? Cultural tension, or a history of the restaurant discriminating?

It looks like a patriotic sign meant to inform customers to order in English.
The current "speak English" movement is a part of the history of discrimination in this country.

Aristone

New

Post by Aristone » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Let's get back to the question at hand rather than a sign that Joey Vento put up in his establishment.

There's lots to love about Philadelphia:
1. The culture and history is second to none (perhaps Boston has a shot at this as well). Olde City boasts everything from the Constitution Center to the Betsy Ross House to Independence Hall and so forth. On top of this, you could spend days in the museums, like the Museum of Natural Sceinces, the Art Museum (please don't do the Rocky thing...it screams tourist) and the Franklin Institute.
2. For a second-rate Northeast city (as a native, I know this and own it), the food is surprisingly good. Morimoto, Buddakhan, El Vez, Alma de Cuba, Rouge, Devon, 500 degrees, Whiskey Bar and so forth are merely some of the options. University City has good and cheaper places to eat as well. The Starr Group does a good job at diversifying and feeding our appetite.
3. The cost of living is CONSIDERABLY lower than New York and lower than DC, Boston and so forth. A 1 bedroom on Rittenhouse Square (arguably the nicest area in Philly) would run perhaps $1500+. You could not even touch that in the UES, UWS or Back Bay. Furthermore, parking is also much more reasonable...even in Center City.
4. Proximity to New York, Baltimore, DC and even shore points allows you to take trips to get out of the city often. The Bolt Bus can get you to NY or DC in about 2 hours and (from what I hear) is a pretty good experience. 30th Street station is also an option.
5. The Neighborhoods are pretty distinct. Take a walk through Elfryth's Alley in Olde City, head to a tour of Eastern State in fairmount, student watch in University City or experience the hipsters on South Street. There really is omething for everyone and, unlike NYC, everything is pretty walkable.
6. Cheese steaks and Tasty Kakes. Really enough said. If you want a good cheese steak...head to South Philly for either Pat's or Geno's. The northeast has Ishkabibbles (spelling?) and South Street has Jim's. Also Tony Luke's is on Oregon Ave and is worth a try. If you're not a native, I suggest not getting the cheese whiz...I am a native and am not partial to it. Tasty Kakes are a joy you need to experience for yourself...check em out at any Wawa or 711.
7. Cabs are so much less expensive than NYC or Boston. You can never underestimate this...especially after a night out. A cab from the stadiums (South Philly) to Center City could run as little as $15 if you get the right driver.
8. Shopping: for high-end shopping hit up Rittenhouse. Walk down Walnut Street and you'll find everything you need from Burberry to AX and Lacoste. Boutiques and even Condom Kingdom line South Street. University City also has a nice shopping area for the students at Penn. We have basically everything New York does, just smaller and scaled-down.
9. The parks are also nice. Fairmount park is MUCH larger than Central Park and anything really available in Boston. Be careful though, portions can be a little seedy and I try and not head in there too much after dark. Wissahickon Park is close by...as is Cooper River Park, which is nice for running (although is in NJ).

That being said, do not venture into North Philly, far West Philly and even portions of Northern Liberties (besides the Piazza). Crime is rampant in some of those areas and it's best to just stay away. I guess every city has that area. Stick mainly to University City, Center City, Olde City and so forth and you'll be totally fine. Philly has a bad rep, but I have never really felt unsafe at all in those areas.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Weather sucks and the people are Assholes. Other than that I hear its a great town.
Sounds like Boston...or NYC...

Actually, pick any city in the northeast and someone will say that...
I'd take NYC over Philly as its the largest city in the nation...but yeah...most cities in the Northeast suck.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:01 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Weather sucks and the people are Assholes. Other than that I hear its a great town.
Weather isn't so bad compare to the other parts of the NE, people I am not going to argue with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It's not Ithaca.

Also: Jim's Steaks, Tony Luke's, Pat's King of Steaks... They're pretty much all good (except Geno's which is xenophobic).
They are all bad. Yuck.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 pm

HBK wrote:Philly is NYC's dirtier, more violent little brother.

They do have Morimoto's though. If you go visit you should definitely eat at Morimoto's.

Are you talking about the part of Philly that most of you will get to know (as visiting law students) or the parts of Philly I know? The part of Philly that most of you who are not natives will ever get to know are wonderful. It is the rest of the city that is bad. I don't know about dirtier/more violent though if you compare to the right parts of NYC.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Puffy wrote:Apparently you now have 30% greater chance of not being gunned-down in Philadelphia:

---------
The city's homicide rate has fallen 30 percent from the grim total it had registered by this point in 2007, when the constant deluge of murders led to the loathsome local nickname "Killadelphia."

According to police statistics, 162 homicides have been recorded so far this year, compared with 183 a year ago, and 234 in 2007.

The city had 333 homicides all of last year, a 15 percent drop from the 392 slayings in '07.

The homicide rate - which soared at a time earlier this decade when homicides in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were reaching record lows - is now among other signs of progress in the city's crime-fighting efforts.

The number of shootings has dropped 30 percent, to 781 thus far, police said.

Five hundred rapes have been reported so far for the year, a 13 percent drop from a year ago, while the number of gunpoint robberies and aggravated assaults involving guns have dropped 3 percent and 8 percent, respectively. Overall, violent crime in the city has decreased by 5 percent.
+1

Now it's not the most dangerous city in America, just one of the top 5.

The Pen Is Mightier

Bronze

Post by The Pen Is Mightier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:-There's lots of amazing cheap food (the aforementioned food trucks, lots of awesome restaurants around the campus, and let's not forget Rita's)
-The shopping ranges from high end to dirt cheap
-It's completely walkable, from University City to Old City and back again
-It has lots of fun neighborhoods: a Chinatown that beats DC's and Boston's, South Street, Old City, etc.
-Frankly, NYC is fucking filthy, too. There may not be as much visible trash on the ground, but when you get inside and wash your hands, just as much grime comes off (probably more, actually).

Philadelphia is just really comfy. Lots of people trash it because that's the cool thing to do, but there are people who love it, too.

Thanks for this post.

I know that I'm gonna be locked in a library so I care much less, but like I said in OP, I need to sell the city (assuming I get in...).

Now I know that my audience loves Boston and NYC and one of the main reasons is their walkability. This will be a major selling point. Does a walk from University City to Old City traversw bad neighborhoods? My experiences in Philly have pretty much been the train stations... don't you have to go by 30th st station to get to the rest of the city? Is that part sketchy?

All I know is that when I got to Suburban Station to take the subway to basketball games, there are more homeless people than homed people there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Also: Jim's Steaks, Tony Luke's, Pat's King of Steaks... They're pretty much all good (except Geno's which is xenophobic).
They are all bad. Yuck.
You've gotta be kidding me. Every time I'm near Philly I make a point to head down South Street and go to Jim's. Are you a vegetarian or something?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Puffy wrote:Are people seriously arguing that the sign that was posted earlier is just some business owner letting his customers know that he does not understand languages other than English?
It is his "passionate" way of showing his disgust for illegal immigration.

FWIW I am both immigrant and minority and I am not the least bit offended by it. Most of us legal immigrants are required to speak English in order to enter the country. And most of us spend years trying to master it. I don't see why illegals can't, especially it would help them greatly. And what sense does it make to go up to a caucasion American and try to order something in Spanish?

If you went to a foreign country, and a local business only offer a menu in the local language, would you be offended and call them racist?

If you didn't speak English, how can you read the sign that says "speak English"??? :idea:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

They are all bad. Yuck.
You've gotta be kidding me. Every time I'm near Philly I make a point to head down South Street and go to Jim's. Are you a vegetarian or something?
Cheese steak good. Pat's, Geno's, Jim's bad. Tony Luke ok. Local stores great :) most natives don't touch those stores, over priced and not that great.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:19 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote: I know that I'm gonna be locked in a library so I care much less, but like I said in OP, I need to sell the city (assuming I get in...).

Now I know that my audience loves Boston and NYC and one of the main reasons is their walkability. This will be a major selling point. Does a walk from University City to Old City traversw bad neighborhoods? My experiences in Philly have pretty much been the train stations... don't you have to go by 30th st station to get to the rest of the city? Is that part sketchy?
Penn is on 34th - 38th street. You walk down chestnut/Walnut to old city. 32 blocks is a long way since our blocks are square not like NYC. You walk by some trendy bars, then nice pricey eateries, then some stores, independence mall, then to old city. You can find great places (bar, lounges) around 16th - 22nd, no need to go all the way down to the river.

They have done a lot to the center city area, anything between spring garden (north) to South street (South), Penns Landing (east) to 42nd (west) is pretty safe. I would get a bicycle/scooter though, much nicer than walking all the time. You can then go to the Parkway, to the nicer parts of Fairmont Park (behind Art Museum).

If you drive, Philly is also in the middle of everything. You can get to all places easily. Atlantic city/jersey shore 60 miles. NYC 100 miles. Baltimore 100 miles. DC 130 miles. Skiing 60 miles (closest). Poconos 100 miles. Everything within 2 hours.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Pen Is Mightier

Bronze

Post by The Pen Is Mightier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Aristone wrote:Let's get back to the question at hand rather than a sign that Joey Vento put up in his establishment.
Thanks a lot!

My audience and I have lived in NYC and Boston so the comparisons are really helpful!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:24 pm

fortissimo wrote:
That is true for cities larger than 500k I think. But most crimes happen in areas you will never even know that existed. There are no reasons why you would even get near those parts because going in and out of the city doesn't require you to traverse through any of those parts. (North, Northwest, West past 52nd and southwest).

The Pen Is Mightier

Bronze

Post by The Pen Is Mightier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Penn is on 34th - 38th street. You walk down chestnut/Walnut to old city. 32 blocks is a long way since our blocks are square not like NYC. You walk by some trendy bars, then nice pricey eateries, then some stores, independence mall, then to old city. You can find great places (bar, lounges) around 16th - 22nd, no need to go all the way down to the river.

They have done a lot to the center city area, anything between spring garden (north) to South street (South), Penns Landing (east) to 42nd (west) is pretty safe. I would get a bicycle/scooter though, much nicer than walking all the time. You can then go to the Parkway, to the nicer parts of Fairmont Park (behind Art Museum).

If you drive, Philly is also in the middle of everything. You can get to all places easily. Atlantic city/jersey shore 60 miles. NYC 100 miles. Baltimore 100 miles. DC 130 miles. Skiing 60 miles (closest). Poconos 100 miles. Everything within 2 hours.
Thanks R6.

And with the low COL, We might even be able to afford a car!

As far as cheese steaks, I've got a place in central jersey that I've heard Philadelphians say plows away anything in Philly. But I will most definitely be sampling the options. Wiz-wit and ketchup!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
Aristone wrote:Let's get back to the question at hand rather than a sign that Joey Vento put up in his establishment.
Thanks a lot!

My audience and I have lived in NYC and Boston so the comparisons are really helpful!
I don't even know how to compare NYC to Philly. I lived in Queens for some time. They are just toally imcompatible. Less people, feels much smaller, and not nearly the same pace. Cost of living is way lower if you know what to expect (and stay away from rip off places). Public transit not really convinient since subway only go two ways. Nightlife wise you run into a lot of Jersey people in the city at night which actually feel much like parts of NYC. I think city living in Philly is much less stressful, and if you want to get a lesser than city feel, you don't have to go far. You can go to King of Prussia mall in 30 minutes and it is completely not urban, and another 15 minutes you are pretty much in rural country. So drive less than 1 hour and you can get a change of scenery, then there are many more towns, places and spots to visit and explore, and it is dirt cheap out there, not like in NYC you just can't get away from the city.

I like Philly because I can drive 30 minutes and feel like I am in a huge city setting, and drive 30 minutes the other way and see cows and get a small town/country living feel.

Don't know as much about Boston but I don't remember liking it so much.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
That is true for cities larger than 500k I think. But most crimes happen in areas you will never even know that existed. There are no reasons why you would even get near those parts because going in and out of the city doesn't require you to traverse through any of those parts. (North, Northwest, West past 52nd and southwest).
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

There are a ton of cities with over 500k, many of them much, much safer, i.e. Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:37 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote: Thanks R6.

And with the low COL, We might even be able to afford a car!

As far as cheese steaks, I've got a place in central jersey that I've heard Philadelphians say plows away anything in Philly. But I will most definitely be sampling the options. Wiz-wit and ketchup!
No problem, feel free to pm me if you have specific questions. I lived here for 15 years on and off, can never say goodbye.

As for a car, you can definitely afford one. Parking may be more expensive than the car itself. Insurance is also very reasonable if your records are clean. You can always look for other parking options, I think you can get monthly parking in SEPTA lots or other private lots that's cheaper than Penn's rate.

There are several malls in the area, King of Prussia is the most expensive one, you can find many better cheaper options that are just as nice.

There are some interesting stuff to do outside of the city and not too far, I guess you have to ask the locals. I don't know what they are interested in, but you can find many cool stuff you wouldn't be able to find in a big city. Imagine where you are going to be able to find a orchard to pick fruits or go to a corn maze in NYC?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Philly cheese steaks, maybe? Thogh it would be more of a sell if the school was known for its cheese cake instead of its cheese steak. Then we'd be talking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 pm

fortissimo wrote:
There are a ton of cities with over 500k, many of them much, much safer, i.e. Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego.
No I was agreeing, the city as a whole is the 5th worst. But my point is why would anyone care? most of the crime happens in neiborhoods far away from center city and will rarely affect center city living. It is kind of not fair to people who are trying to make comparisions because they are basing off stats that are almost irrelevant in a way. You can enjoy everything Philly has to offer without ever even seeing the parts that produce the most crimes. Center City is very safe, and there is no need to go beyond it, unlike in many other major cities.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 pm

scionb4 wrote:Philly cheese steaks, maybe? Thogh it would be more of a sell if the school was known for its cheese cake instead of its cheese steak. Then we'd be talking.
Hershey is only 1 hour and half away :wink:

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:But let's be honest - that sign, just like all the bumper stickers and T-shirts to the same effect, isn't coming from a good place.
Yeah, I think the place it's coming from is: If we're gonna keep this union together, we all need to be speaking the same language. Literally.

In case you guys haven't noticed, but our society is literally crumbling before our very eyes. To think it's not in some way due to the lack of social (and yes, linguistic) cohesion of our citizens is myopic.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:47 pm

I loved Philly when I went. As someone who hasn't lived in a big city NYC is just too much for me, Philly is much more scaled down. Penn is my second choice.

I need to start one of these threads about Boston because I don't know much about it and I'm not too excited about living there..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”