Help me choose!!!! Arizona v. Arizona State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Arizona ($$) v. Arizona State ($)

Arizona ($$)
80%
Arizona State ($)
20%

Total votes: 55

RVP11

Gold

Re: Help me choose!!!! Arizona v. Arizona State

Post by RVP11 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 pm

tucsonwildcat412 wrote:An Arizona degree travels MUCH BETTER THAN AN ASU DEGREE, and places much better overall in clerkships. I would venture to say that the higher-acceptance rate would be due to the much smaller undergrad student body the U of A pulls from. I would not be inclined to say that U of A is on the decline due to the strength of the faculty there; among civil litigation, torts, juvenile law, natural resources and Native American Law, it offers much more prestige than its northern neighbor. If you want a stong legal education with lots more lay as well as professional expertise, choose Arizona; if you would like to contract an STD, then ASU would probably be your best choice.
:roll: at most of this. Holy hyperbole.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 pm

tucsonwildcat412 wrote:An Arizona degree travels MUCH BETTER THAN AN ASU DEGREE, and places much better overall in clerkships. I would venture to say that the higher-acceptance rate would be due to the much smaller undergrad student body the U of A pulls from. I would not be inclined to say that U of A is on the decline due to the strength of the faculty there; among civil litigation, torts, juvenile law, natural resources and Native American Law, it offers much more prestige than its northern neighbor. If you want a stong legal education with lots more lay as well as professional expertise, choose Arizona; if you would like to contract an STD, then ASU would probably be your best choice.
Homer much?

Also I'd like to see some evidence that Arizona travels MUCH BETTER than ASU, especially in Phoneix.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 pm

I went back and forth over this. I still haven't committed to a school but if I do end up in Arizona I will be attending ASU. The relocation was a factor, the city was a factor, and I know that ASU is moving up, although I do not think it will pass UA in the next 2-3 years. There is talk of long-term the law school moving to downtown Phoenix which will help. There are also things being done by the dean to improve their reputation and broaden the national base for ASU. In my visits to both schools there is excitement at ASU and same ol' "we are better than ASU, here are the rankings" talk at U of A. I was offered a little more money to go U of A but will likely end up at ASU if I don't attend William and Mary.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

tucsonwildcat412 wrote:if you would like to contract an STD, then ASU would probably be your best choice.
My friend got chlamydia at U of A. Just saying.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:20 am

cLams wrote:
Thank you! :D Though I'm assuming you're biased by looking at your author name, this is what I needed to hear! Are you a UA undergrad/law student?
If you were at all persuaded by this, I feel bad for you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 am

Note: I only voted for U of A because I haven't heard back from ASU yet : )

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:06 am

pugalicious wrote:Note: I only voted for U of A because I haven't heard back from ASU yet : )
I also still have yet to hear from ASU.

mepg

New

Post by mepg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:36 pm

cLams wrote:
mepg wrote:To the OP,

I am an ASU 1L. I had the choice between both schools. You can't go wrong either way. I just wanted to add that if you are interested in clerkships in Phoenix, the issue with UA is relocating for summer. The idea of constantly relocating did not appeal to me. Regarding externships, many judges reserve most of their summer externships for UA students because ASU students get to monopolize the judges during the school year.
Thanks so much for the insider info! This is really good to know. How have you liked your experience at ASU?

I have enjoyed it so far. I do not at all regret my decision to pick ASU over UA. I will say that I have a couple of 1L friends at UA, and they like it. However, they have spent every break in Phoenix and will be relocating for summer. I was not a huge fan of Tucson but could have done it for three years. More significantly, I am not at all a fan of constantly re-locating (went out of state for college so I did I went back and forth quite a bit).

In my opinion, anyone who says one school is extremely better than the other is wrong. While each school might have small advantages over the other, they are pretty equal (especially placing in Phoenix). In Phoenix, when it comes to externship and job placements, everything seems equal.

My best advice is to go with whichever school and location feels better to you. While I liked both law schools equally, I like Phoenix much better than Tuscon and believe that being the only established law school in Phoenix is invaluable. It seems like networking would be much easier during the school year at ASU since the school is within 20 minutes to most major firms. It is also nice to live in a place you enjoy. Yet many people like Tucson so that might be a better fit for you.

One other thought if you do end up leaning toward ASU is to see if they can match UA's $$. I hope this helps, and let me know if you have other questions regarding the schools.

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Same question here. Can you help me out, too http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=112773

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yellowcard

New

Post by Yellowcard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

So ASU just passed U of A in the rankings...why did this have to happen? Now my decision is even harder. Anyone have an answer for why ASU jumped so high?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Yellowcard wrote:So ASU just passed U of A in the rankings...why did this have to happen? Now my decision is even harder. Anyone have an answer for why ASU jumped so high?
This shouldn't change your decision at all.

Anyone with wisdom has been telling you all along to A) go to the one that costs less, and failing that, B) go to the one whose location you like more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”