Help me choose!!!! Arizona v. Arizona State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Arizona ($$) v. Arizona State ($)

Arizona ($$)
80%
Arizona State ($)
20%

Total votes: 55

cLams

Bronze

Help me choose!!!! Arizona v. Arizona State

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Hey guys.

I'm interested in P.I. or Human Rights work, and would love to score a judicial clerkship. I received $24,000 total from Arizona and $10,000 from ASU. Location doesn't matter much to me- I live in Phoenix, but don't mind Tucson. I know both are regional schools, but of the two, I want the most portability (ideally CA). There is still a marginal chance that I could get into UC Davis, but for the sake of this poll I'm excluding it!

Where should I go?!?! Thanks :D

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Re: Help me choose!!!! Arizona v. Arizona State

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Are those numbers for in-state tuition or OOS tuition?

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:43 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:Are those numbers for in-state tuition or OOS tuition?
In-state and total 3 year amounts!

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:50 pm

The common thought on these forums seems to be that Arizona and Arizona State are largely interchangeable, with maybe a slight edge given to Arizona in terms of prestige and portability. And since Arizona is giving you more money, I'd say the choice is pretty clear.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:53 pm

I would go to Arizona. I didn't even apply, bc I don't like Tucson. But I have to imagine it is more respected in an academic/scholarly realm. The students have an edge LSAT wise, so it's possible that competition will be more fierce. The other drawback is ASU seems to be on the move up, and perhaps U of A on the way down. But I don't think that changes the outlook in the short run for clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54 pm

sluguy14 wrote:The common thought on these forums seems to be that Arizona and Arizona State are largely interchangeable, with maybe a slight edge given to Arizona in terms of prestige and portability. And since Arizona is giving you more money, I'd say the choice is pretty clear.
Thanks! I agree it's also pretty clear, but I psyched myself out a bit...it's definitely looking like Arizona. :D

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:I would go to Arizona. I didn't even apply, bc I don't like Tucson. But I have to imagine it is more respected in an academic/scholarly realm. The students have an edge LSAT wise, so it's possible that competition will be more fierce. The other drawback is ASU seems to be on the move up, and perhaps U of A on the way down. But I don't think that changes the outlook in the short run for clerkships.
Yeah, ASU's steady progression is what is making me a bit hesitant. I want those U.S. News rankings. I know it's marginal, but if UofA seems to be moving down, while ASU is moving up, I'd be a bit concerned. I'd rather be in an up and coming than at a fallen school.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 pm

cLams wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:I would go to Arizona. I didn't even apply, bc I don't like Tucson. But I have to imagine it is more respected in an academic/scholarly realm. The students have an edge LSAT wise, so it's possible that competition will be more fierce. The other drawback is ASU seems to be on the move up, and perhaps U of A on the way down. But I don't think that changes the outlook in the short run for clerkships.
Yeah, ASU's steady progression is what is making me a bit hesitant. I want those U.S. News rankings. I know it's marginal, but if UofA seems to be moving down, while ASU is moving up, I'd be a bit concerned. I'd rather be in an up and coming than at a fallen school.

:mrgreen: I almost suggested you wait for the '11 rankings to come out before deciding, but then decided that it would be sad sad sad to say that. But it's not a minor point...in addition to you getting a higher offer at U of A, I've seen a number of people on these boards get into U of A and out of ASU.

Check this out: (Arizona top, ASU bottom)

It appears that there is a very concerted effort on the part of ASU to one up U of A this year in terms of medians. There is a big gap between admits and rejects, like they're not exactly sure where their border will end up.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm

You don't mind living in Tucson, UofA gave you more money, UofA is the marginally better school, and UofA places better in California.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:56 pm

cLams wrote:
USN trends shouldn't affect your decisionmaking because they don't affect employers' short term preferences.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I'd say Arizona on this one, too. I have been researching this a lot, as ASU and U of A are my top choices, and it seems for your situation U of A is the right choice. From what I've learned, U of A places better for judicial clerkships and it travels better to CA. Plus, that is a great scholarship you have there. Everyone at U of A is great, and I think you will love it. If I had this situation, I'd go U of A. However, my situation is completely different, so I'm still stuck on this tough decision between the two...

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I got into U of A (with money), rejected at ASU :oops:

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I got into U of A (with money), rejected at ASU :oops:
From what I have read, my experience, and the experiences of my friends, it actually seems like UA was the easier one to get into/ get money from.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:04 pm

I also got into Bama, but rejected at ASU :oops:

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:11 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
From what I have read, my experience, and the experiences of my friends, it actually seems like UA was the easier one to get into/ get money from.
Even with higher median LSAT, U of A had a higher acceptance rate. I have to imagine that is due to the "big city" draw of Phoenix as opposed to the armpit stench of Tucson. But still, you would think that an individual would have a better chance at ASU...unless of course they're up to something. (please be up to letting me in...)

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:17 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
cLams wrote:
USN trends shouldn't affect your decisionmaking because they don't affect employers' short term preferences.
You're right. I need to stop thinking about those damn rankings! I just found the judicial clerkship stats on both schools, and that alone may have reconvinced me to go to UA.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Is UA still a contender for you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:21 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:
Even with higher median LSAT, U of A had a higher acceptance rate. I have to imagine that is due to the "big city" draw of Phoenix as opposed to the armpit stench of Tucson. But still, you would think that an individual would have a better chance at ASU...unless of course they're up to something. (please be up to letting me in...)
I'd be curious to see how many in-state applicants both schools take? I'm sure that would affect their selectivity. I've heard somewhere that UA is around 65% in-state, including those who have a strong affiliation with AZ.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Chicks at ASU are hotter. Other than that I doubt there is any real difference. Go to which ever one saves you the most money.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:54 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Chicks at ASU are hotter. Other than that I doubt there is any real difference. Go to which ever one saves you the most money.
Haha, thankfully I don't like chicks! I can attest for the attractive girls at ASU though. It's insane.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:57 pm

cLams wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Chicks at ASU are hotter. Other than that I doubt there is any real difference. Go to which ever one saves you the most money.
Haha, thankfully I don't like chicks! I can attest for the attractive girls at ASU though. It's insane.
only been there once, but +1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 pm

cLams wrote:
I gotta jump in on this. U of A chicks are just as hot, and are more likely to be interested in a law student. ASU chicks like dudes with barbed wire tattoos. Wildcats are just a tad brighter, and a tad less shallow.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
cLams wrote:
I gotta jump in on this. U of A chicks are just as hot, and are more likely to be interested in a law student. ASU chicks like dudes with barbed wire tattoos. Wildcats are just a tad brighter, and a tad less shallow.
I also think UA girls are hotter, but it depends what you dig I guess. To broadly sterotype, UA Girls: Tall, at least semi-intelligent brunettes with attractive faces and nice bodies. ASU girls: petite, tan, bleach blondes, with faces that become less attractive as you get closer. Again, just a MAJOR stereotype. There are plenty of intelligent, non-fake beauties at ASU as well, but you are more likely to find the former.

I'm an ASU undergrad, so I'm not just school-bashing. :D

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:13 pm

cLams wrote:UA Girls: Tall, at least semi-intelligent brunettes with attractive faces and nice bodies. ASU girls: petite, tan, bleach blondes, with faces that become less attractive as you get closer.

Dead on. I'm glad I didn't offend your sensibilities.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Clams, yes, UofA is still a contender for me. I'm visiting next week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”