LSU vs. Oklahoma

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cemoore4

LSU vs. Oklahoma

Postby Cemoore4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 am

My situation:

I am a Louisiana resident. I received a 50% scholarship to LSU with a top 1/2 stipulation which makes tuition pretty low per year (I think around 7k/yr). I have also been accepted to OU with a Out-of-state fee waiver. I would be paying roughly 16k/yr.

ALSO, I really want to get into the Dallas market when I graduate. To clarify, I would be fine if I graduated and had to work in Baton Rouge or Oklahoma City.

So, which school do you think would give the best chance for the Dallas market, AND if that answer is OU, is it worth the extra tuition??

Thanks in advance

maxpayne

Re: LSU vs. Oklahoma

Postby maxpayne » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 am

Did you apply to SMU? The general concensus is that if you want Dallas, then UT or SMU. You will be struggling to land a job in Dallas right out of law school if you go to LSU.

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:34 am

Ah, I just sent you a PM. Yes, I did apply to SMU, but I have been application complete since 2/3 and haven't heard anything. My numbers are 161, 3.28. I think I have a small shot at FT and a decent shot at PT (applied to both). So, I am still waiting, but seat deposit deadlines are nearing and I don't have the cash to be throwing at multiple schools haha.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 am

College football?

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 am

If based on football, then I'd be at LSU in a minute. Nothing like a Saturday in Death Valley.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 am

Yeah SEC football is a beautiful thing. For some reason I give a slight edge to Oklahoma if you want to work in Texas over LSU. But don't take this to the bank. If I were you I'd probably take the money, and less debt, and go to LSU. Plus I'd rather live in Baton Rouge than Oklahoma City.

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Darknight, that is basically what I was thinking. OU might be better because of its closer proximity to Dallas, but I somehow don't think that warrants the extra tuition I would be paying at OU.

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Optimistic next-day bump

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah I doubt you will get much more then what has already been given. Unless you are partial to either state I'd go with which ever one saves you the most money, in this cas LA. At least with LSU you will have gulf shores near by.

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:08 pm

darkknight, what makes you say Baton Rouge > OKC?

NBA basketball is in town, Bricktown area/revitalized downtown, the city is doing fine economically, the state is growing. OKC is doing well in a ton of national rankings. It was just named top 5 for young professionals.

I understand his preference for LSU/Louisiana as he is from there and it makes financial sense, but I think OKC is the better city.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Cemoore4 wrote:If based on football, then I'd be at LSU in a minute. Nothing like a Saturday in Death Valley.

If you are basing the decision in any part on college football, then OU is the obvious choice.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 pm

brocklanders12 wrote:darkknight, what makes you say Baton Rouge > OKC?

NBA basketball is in town, Bricktown area/revitalized downtown, the city is doing fine economically, the state is growing. OKC is doing well in a ton of national rankings. It was just named top 5 for young professionals.

I understand his preference for LSU/Louisiana as he is from there and it makes financial sense, but I think OKC is the better city.

Well New Orleans has NBA Basketball and the Super Bowl champions. Baton Rouge has SEC football. You have Gulf Shores that are near by and I personally think the food is better....also there is Mardi Gras which LSU students get off for. How are those for reasons?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:02 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Cemoore4 wrote:If based on football, then I'd be at LSU in a minute. Nothing like a Saturday in Death Valley.

If you are basing the decision in any part on college football, then OU is the obvious choice.

You must be kidding. SEC football is king.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:48 am

darknightbegins wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

I am certainly not kidding. OU has 42 conference championships and seven national championships. LSU has thirteen conference championships and a paltry three national titles. You will be hard-pressed to find any meaningful statistic that indicates LSU has a better program than OU (all-time winning percentage, winning percentage during 2000s, total games won, Heisman winners, all-time top 25 appearances/weeks in the top ten).

Which conference is the dominant one varies throughout the decades. Some argue that the Big XII was actually the best conference of the 2000s, but I do agree that the SEC has been tough to beat. However, the last time I checked, the SEC didn't have a law school. We're comparing OU and LSU. No comparison.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:04 pm

chrisokc wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

I am certainly not kidding. OU has 42 conference championships and seven national championships. LSU has thirteen conference championships and a paltry three national titles. You will be hard-pressed to find any meaningful statistic that indicates LSU has a better program than OU (all-time winning percentage, winning percentage during 2000s, total games won, Heisman winners, all-time top 25 appearances/weeks in the top ten).

Which conference is the dominant one varies throughout the decades. Some argue that the Big XII was actually the best conference of the 2000s, but I do agree that the SEC has been tough to beat. However, the last time I checked, the SEC didn't have a law school. We're comparing OU and LSU. No comparison.

Yes OU has the more historic franchise but how have they performed in the 2000s? Sooners have one title, in the year 2000, and that is it. LSU punked the Sooners in 2003 in national title game. LSU has won 2 championships this decade. If you want the history of college football, go to the Sooners, if you want to actually WATCH where the best football is played go to a major SEC program, Bama, LSU, Florida etc.

Who argues that the Big 12 was the better conference in the 2000s? Just look at the national championships during the 2000s.

SEC: LSU 2003, 2007
Florida 2006, 2008
Alabama 2009

Big 12: OU 2000
Texas 2005

Since the BCS system was put into affect in 1998 the SEC has won the most championships and is undefeated when appearing in the BCS National Championship Game. The Big 12 has the worst record of any conference in this era at 2-5.

No, the SEC doesn't have a law school, but going to one of the schools in the SEC means you will be watching College Football's best conference week in and week out and the best quality football.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:32 pm

You have a good point - there have been some great games in Baton Rouge in recent years. Choosing between law schools in Norman and Baton Rouge is a pretty good situation for a college football fan.

tkolax

Postby tkolax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

well if OU could play their national championships in their home state, they probably would have won a couple more of those NC games that they lost. I would be amazed if LSU won a NC when it wasn't in the Sugar Bowl.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:40 pm

It is hardly LSU's fault that they happened to be playing near home in those games. Besides its not like Oklahoma fans really had to travel far to see the game.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”