Southern Illinois University

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hundorama

Southern Illinois University

Postby hundorama » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Has anyone on here gone to SIU law or know anyone that has? I am really considering SIU over SLU. I got into both schools but going to SIU would be so so much cheaper. How well does SIU place in St Louis?

thank you so much

patrickd139

Re: Southern Illinois University

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

hundorama wrote:Has anyone on here gone to SIU law or know anyone that has? I am really considering SIU over SLU. I got into both schools but going to SIU would be so so much cheaper. How well does SIU place in St Louis?

thank you so much

Just a guess, but I would wager that SLU places better in St. Louis, based on its higher rank and actual location in the city.

hundorama

Postby hundorama » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:51 pm

I can make that same assumption myself simply from looking at rankings and locations. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge or experience as to how well SIU places in St Louis or how much better SLU places.

Thank you

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 pm

:?:
Last edited by oldtimer on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:24 am

I'd take SLU over SIU, especially if you want to end up in STL. I'm a 0L, but from what I've been told on these forums and by some attorneys that I work with, SLU has an excellent reputation in and around STL. You brought up SLU's drop in rankings, but that ranking doesn't really matter. If you're going to get a job from SLU, chances are you'll rely on SLU's strong alumni, who could care less about whether or not SLU dropped down to a TTT.

Plus, have you ever been to Cardondale? It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and is definitely not somewhere I would want to attend law school. I mean there is absolutely nothing to do in Carbondale but party. I'm not lying. Seriously, even with $$$, what do you plan on doing with a law degree from Carbondale? Wasting 3 years in order to obtain a $40k a year job in rural southern Illinois does not sound appealing to me at all. Just my 2 cents though, and take them with a grain of salt. But if you do need any information about Carbondale, I can help you out with housing and shit. I don't go to school there, but I know quite a few people who do, so just let me know if you need anything.

oldtimer wrote:I'd be interested in some information on this topic as well.
I'm in at SIU with money, but I LIVE in STL and I'm really hoping for SLU. However, even at SLU with SOME money, I'm not sure of the true value factor anymore.
SLU is TTT now, so TECHNICALLY, it's only marginally more attractive on the surface, but clearly, being in ST. Louis is going to have benefits.
I have some personal connections in STL as far as attorneys and in fact my brother in law graduated from SLU LAW and has quite an impressive network, but I'm not sure how much any of that will help me when I graduate... on the other hand, WITH those potential connections, I'm not sure how much SIU would really HURT at graduation and to be honest, the lack of a debt load, especially at my ripe old age (36) is pretty tempting.

Also, don't forget that being a state school, there are a plethora of other scholarship options at SIU from different state organizations that can potentially widen that gap even more.

Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for outside scholarships at SLU as well, but the competition for them in STL will be MUCH more severe IMO.

I'm hoping someone from STL Big Law or even Mid Law might have some insight for those of us considering staying in the midwest for school.

Downside for me is I got my undergrad from SIU many moons ago.. and I think it would be nice to have another University on my Resume'. I do have a Master's from Kettering, but it would be nice to have even more diversity on my resume'... of course, whether or not that matters is beyond me.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 am

bearsfan1 wrote:Plus, have you ever been to Cardondale? It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and is definitely not somewhere I would want to attend law school. I mean there is absolutely nothing to do in Carbondale but party. I'm not lying. Seriously, even with $$$, what do you plan on doing with a law degree from Carbondale? Wasting 3 years in order to obtain a $40k a year job in rural southern Illinois does not sound appealing to me at all. Just my 2 cents though, and take them with a grain of salt. But if you do need any information about Carbondale, I can help you out with housing and shit. I don't go to school there, but I know quite a few people who do, so just let me know if you need anything.

Did you even read his post? He clearly said he did his undergrad at SIU

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:09 pm

RockyIII wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:Plus, have you ever been to Cardondale? It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and is definitely not somewhere I would want to attend law school. I mean there is absolutely nothing to do in Carbondale but party. I'm not lying. Seriously, even with $$$, what do you plan on doing with a law degree from Carbondale? Wasting 3 years in order to obtain a $40k a year job in rural southern Illinois does not sound appealing to me at all. Just my 2 cents though, and take them with a grain of salt. But if you do need any information about Carbondale, I can help you out with housing and shit. I don't go to school there, but I know quite a few people who do, so just let me know if you need anything.

Did you even read his post? He clearly said he did his undergrad at SIU

Thanks for pointing that out dick. I obviously didn't read it clearly enough. Did you have anything to add that might help the OP or were you just randomly reading through threads to point out simple mistakes made by people trying to give advice?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”