ALBANY LAW vs. NEW ENGLAND LAW BOSTON??!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rose711

Re: ALBANY LAW vs. NEW ENGLAND LAW BOSTON??!!

Postby rose711 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

My advice is to not go to either of these schools. Figure out something else to do while you improve your chances of admission at a better school. If you can't improve your chances at a better school, I would still take another year and figure out something else. At least wait until the legal market stabilizes a bit and the economy improves. Even if you were number 1 in your class at these schools, ITE I don't know what job you could get. Honestly, I'm not saying that the number 1 student doesn't get a job, I just don't know who it would be with. The state government here in NY is in financial crises, even worse than people generally think. That will drastically affect jobs in Albany.

I do not want you to wake up in a few years with a lot of debt that you are going to have to carry your entire life.

Please try to step away and think about what I am saying here.
Last edited by rose711 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

Emma1 wrote:
Informative wrote:This has to be flame. No one would actually consider attending these schools, especially at cost. Maybe on a full ride, but there is absolutely no reason to actually PAY for either of these schools.

You are an idiot for the above remarks!
I would go to Albany Law school. Their tuition is high but they have a corner on the market and it is in the capitol of New York State. The building is very nice and close to the medical center and pharmacy schools.The govenor Andrew Cuomo is also an alumni.

You realize that Andrew Cuomo is the son of a former governor and was also a staff member to his father? Might is occur to you that Mr. Cuomo might be absurdly politically connected already?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:33 am

Northwood,

You think Albany is worth sticker price?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 am

northwood wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
Informative wrote:This has to be flame. No one would actually consider attending these schools, especially at cost. Maybe on a full ride, but there is absolutely no reason to actually PAY for either of these schools.

You are an idiot for the above remarks!
I would go to Albany Law school. Their tuition is high but they have a corner on the market and it is in the capitol of New York State. The building is very nice and close to the medical center and pharmacy schools.The govenor Andrew Cuomo is also an alumni.

albany law is a 2 building private school. Albany pharm and medical has nothing to do with albany law. The school consists of classrooms and a library, and another building for administrative stuff. At 44k a year, plus col, it is very expensive. Yes, Cuomo is a grad, and albany is the only school in the capitol, but there is a lot of competition for jobs there. There is not a whole lot else going on at the school besides classes. Have you visited the school? check it out for yourself, and see how it fits. It may be for you, but i would not call anyone an idiot on here for saying that its not worth the sticker price.

He is an idiot for being so rude to call a legitimate post a flame. I never said that Albany Pharmacy and Albany Medical Center were part of the law school. I was letting OP know about some of the surroundings. The law school is a nice building in my opinion. I think the price of tuition is high but I know that many of the local law firms are very loyal to ALS students and there are government opportunities as it is located in Albany near the capitol. Albany law school does not share their main building ( the actual law school) with Albany Med or Pharmacy. I believe they share the dorm and bookstore with the Pharmacy. Employment opportunities are not what they use to be in most law schools and Albany is no exception. It is alot of money to borrow to get a law degree in an oversaturated market. I think you might want to take the LSAT again, apply next year and get some scholarship money

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 am

I think it is great that you explain the school to the OP. My concern about this school is that any graduate of it will be lucky to find a job. And no one will find a job out of school that justifies taking on huge debt to pay for it.

As for state government jobs: Can you find a list of those opportunities? Right now, there is a hiring freeze, wage reductions and cuts will be imposed on top of that. Before you think of going to Albany, you should be convinced there are a reasonable number of jobs for newly graduating lawyers. Also you should be aware that there may be competition for jobs from other, more prestigious schools in NY -where students are also interested in working in PI.

I am telling you directly that ITE there are no jobs for inexperienced attorneys graduating from Albany in NYS government. If you go to school there it is unlikely you will find a job. So look around the job market and read about NY state government. If I'm wrong, then you will have lost nothing, but you will have gained knowledge in the job market, you will be able to make a good decision.

Also, do not expect to do exceptionally well in law school. Do not make huge financial decisions based on being the top of the class. It is simply too risky.

I know this sounds harsh, but it reflects reality. Please take time and research the job markets and learn about how difficult it is right now. I am trying to help you avoid making a mistake that isn't easy to rectify. (if you go you can always drop out if you don't do well, but I think very few people actually drop out when, for financial reasons, they should . Once you start school, it is easier to slog along and finish and hope for the best.)
Last edited by rose711 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:52 am

Miracle wrote:Northwood,

You think Albany is worth sticker price?

no

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 am

Emma1 wrote: He is an idiot for being so rude to call a legitimate post a flame. I never said that Albany Pharmacy and Albany Medical Center were part of the law school. I was letting OP know about some of the surroundings. The law school is a nice building in my opinion. I think the price of tuition is high but I know that many of the local law firms are very loyal to ALS students and there are government opportunities as it is located in Albany near the capitol. Albany law school does not share their main building ( the actual law school) with Albany Med or Pharmacy. I believe they share the dorm and bookstore with the Pharmacy. Employment opportunities are not what they use to be in most law schools and Albany is no exception. It is alot of money to borrow to get a law degree in an oversaturated market. I think you might want to take the LSAT again, apply next year and get some scholarship money

No one really is quibbling with the fact that the campus may or may not be nice. It's the job prospects.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am

[/quote] You realize that Andrew Cuomo is the son of a former governor and was also a staff member to his father? Might is occur to you that Mr. Cuomo might be absurdly politically connected already?[/quote]

He is the son of former Governor Mario Coumo and was the Attorney General for the Sate of New York until recently elected to the govenorship. He is an alumni of Albany Law School and is connected to the school.
Last edited by Emma1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 am

Emma1 wrote:

You realize that Andrew Cuomo is the son of a former governor and was also a staff member to his father? Might is occur to you that Mr. Cuomo might be absurdly politically connected already?[/quote]

He is the son of former Governor Mario Coumo and was the Attorney General for the Sate of New York until recently elected to the govenorship. He is an alumni of Albany Law School and is connected to the school.[/quote]

but nys government is a huge mess right now. One alumni is not going to hire the entire graduating class from albanylaw every year that hes in office. Its a nice selling feature for the school, but its not going to help that much for studetns

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 am

Well said northwood! All Mr. Cuomo needed was a JD-he had a job lined up before he entered law school. If Albany Law was such a great school, and its graduates had such bright future as Mr. Cuomo it wouldn't be ranked as low as it is.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 am

[quote] One alumni is not going to hire the entire graduating class from albanylaw every year that hes in office[quote]

LOL! I quess we can all agree with that statement. Alot of jobs even with law firms depend on connections. The economy is not doing well nationally either and too many people are applying to law school. It is all about supply and demand. As I said I would wait a year and retake the LSAT. However if I was going to pick between the two schools as original poster stated I would go to Albany Law School. There will still be opportunities to build your resume in Albany and the economy may be in better shape in three years when you graduate. Also many of the judges are albany law school graduates!
Last edited by Emma1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 am

Miracle wrote:Well said northwood! All Mr. Cuomo needed was a JD-he had a job lined up before he entered law school.

Exactly. If this does not apply to OP, not sure how good of a choice Albany is.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 am

rose711 wrote:I think it is great that you explain the school to the OP. My concern about this school is that any graduate of it will be lucky to find a job. And no one will find a job out of school that justifies taking on huge debt to pay for it.

As for state government jobs: Can you find a list of those opportunities? Right now, there is a hiring freeze, wage reductions and cuts will be imposed on top of that. Before you think of going to Albany, you should be convinced there are a reasonable number of jobs for newly graduating lawyers. Also you should be aware that there may be competition for jobs from other, more prestigious schools in NY -where students are also interested in working in PI.

I am telling you directly that ITE there are no jobs for inexperienced attorneys graduating from Albany in NYS government. If you go to school there it is unlikely you will find a job. So look around the job market and read about NY state government. If I'm wrong, then you will have lost nothing, but you will have gained knowledge in the job market, you will be able to make a good decision.

Also, do not expect to do exceptionally well in law school. Do not make huge financial decisions based on being the top of the class. It is simply too risky.

I know this sounds harsh, but it reflects reality. Please take time and research the job markets and learn about how difficult it is right now. I am trying to help you avoid making a mistake that isn't easy to rectify. (if you go you can always drop out if you don't do well, but I think very few people actually drop out when, for financial reasons, they should . Once you start school, it is easier to slog along and finish and hope for the best.)

+1

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 am

rad law wrote:
Miracle wrote:Well said northwood! All Mr. Cuomo needed was a JD-he had a job lined up before he entered law school.

A lot of people like OP and myself, and most likely you do not have those connections which is the reason why we need to put ourselves in the best position possible. If we can't unlock doors through connections, the only way we can unlock those doors is by attending Top ranked law schools.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 am

rad law wrote:

Doesn't matter who employed him, it matters who he employs! That being said there is a hiring freeze in effect for many jobs until the economic crisis is alleviated.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 am

Emma1 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Doesn't matter who employed him, it matters who he employs! That being said there is a hiring freeze in effect for many jobs until the economic crisis is alleviated.

What makes you think that Mr. Cuomo will employ 5-10-20-30% of AL class every year-freeze or no freeze? He's slashing student aid-cutting work force, and you're trying to construct an argument claiming that he will hire AL graduates. You're argument is very flawed.
Last edited by Miracle on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:17 am

Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:

A lot of people like OP and myself, and most likely you do not have those connections which is the reason why we need to put ourselves in the best position possible. If we can't unlock doors through connections, the only way we can unlock those doors is by attending Top ranked law schools.

I would say I'm a lot more connected than most of the TLS regulars (short of the people with jobs lined up). I'm going a little less than $100k in at UCLA/Vandy/Tex and I'm scared.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:18 am

Actually I think many people have connections in the geographical area they are from. Not everyone can go to "Top ranked " law schools.
Last edited by Emma1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:24 am

What makes you think that Mr. Cuomo will employ 5-10-20-30% of AL class every year-freeze or no freeze? He's slashing student aid-cutting work force, and you're trying to construct an argument claiming that he will hire AL graduates. You're argument is very flawed.

Never said that because it is a ridiculous statement. Just said that he is connected to Albany Law school. One factor. Certainly doesnt hurt that he is the Governor. He has hired ALS students while he was Attorney General. The point is to compare this to the other law school the OP is considering.

lawstudent102

Postby lawstudent102 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am

Probably late on this, but don't listen to these jerkoffs as most of them probably live in their mother's basement and have nothing better to do than to discourage people because it helps them feel better about their pathetic, cockroach-like existance. It is an achievement in itself of scoring above the curve on the LSATs and I congratulate you on being admitted to both these schools. I would say Albany law sounds like a better college than NELS even though they offer you no money. You can always take out loans and repay them if necessary.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

lawstudent102 wrote:Probably late on this, but don't listen to these jerkoffs as most of them probably live in their mother's basement and have nothing better to do than to discourage people because it helps them feel better about their pathetic, cockroach-like existance. It is an achievement in itself of scoring above the curve on the LSATs and I congratulate you on being admitted to both these schools. I would say Albany law sounds like a better college than NELS even though they offer you no money. You can always take out loans and repay them if necessary.

LOL.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 am

lawstudent102 wrote:Probably late on this, but don't listen to these jerkoffs as most of them probably live in their mother's basement and have nothing better to do than to discourage people because it helps them feel better about their pathetic, cockroach-like existance. It is an achievement in itself of scoring above the curve on the LSATs and I congratulate you on being admitted to both these schools. I would say Albany law sounds like a better college than NELS even though they offer you no money. You can always take out loans and repay them if necessary.

My favorite part of an awesome post. What unconscionable advice

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 am

This part was best for me. Classic post.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:25 am

This thread has potential.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 am

Robespierre wrote:

This part was best for me. Classic post.

I didn't know where to start, so I just LOLed the whole thing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”