I feared it wud happen, and it did. Could really use advice. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
onetimeonly95

New

Re: I feared it wud happen, and it did. Could really use advice.

Post by onetimeonly95 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Thank you for the reponses thus far.

As I stated earlier, I'm extremely grateful for the offer, all that I'm worried about are job prospects. I do want to work on the east coast preferably the nyc area, but I don't mind the secondary markets(nj, philly, bos). As for retaking, I did prep rather extensivly via a kaplan course. I feel I could do better on the test and I made significant strides using my own practices than the kaplan strategies.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 pm

onetimeonly95 wrote:Thank you for the reponses thus far.

As I stated earlier, I'm extremely grateful for the offer, all that I'm worried about are job prospects. I do want to work on the east coast preferably the nyc area, but I don't mind the secondary markets(nj, philly, bos). As for retaking, I did prep rather extensivly via a kaplan course. I feel I could do better on the test and I made significant strides using my own practices than the kaplan strategies.
If you feel you can do better using your own strategies, then focus on refining these strategies through lots of Practice Tests. Make sure you get your hands on almost all of the PTs (best are probably 25 to 59 as more modern) and just go through each one, taking a break to refine your strategies and examine mistakes after each test.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:28 pm

OP, if you tested below your average or feel you have room for improvement, re-take and re-apply. If not (and you need to be completely serious about this), take IUB and ride the waitlists. Indiana is far from a bad school, but it's likely not going to help you achieve your goals (i.e. NYC/Boston BigLaw).

I do not begrudge OP at all, BTW :). He is allowed to be disappointed. He just needs to figure out if he can hit the 160's. Not everyone can and usually you can figure out where your breaking point is.

ETA: If you used Kaplan and you underperformed you can usually get them to give you free stuff. Talk to your teacher; they tend to be helpful. I honestly would NOT recommend going it alone on a re-take; you probably don't want to re-do the class that didn't help you, but you need to make sure you are "getting it". As someone who started in the low 150's there is a HUGE difference when you get to the 160 level correctly that it's hard to slip back (once I hit 160 on PT's I never dropped below there); if you get there incorrectly you can easily be PT'ing very high and still score badly (back in the 150's) on test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”