I feared it wud happen, and it did. Could really use advice.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
onetimeonly95

I feared it wud happen, and it did. Could really use advice.

Postby onetimeonly95 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:37 pm

So, my cycle has gone as such so far:

IN: IU-B 90k

Waitlists:
BC
Emory
Nova'
Maryland

Rejected:
Duke
Gtown
BU
Fordham

The problem is I really want NYC and maybe Boston Biglaw (NYC>>>BOS) for a least a few years after I graduate. Right now the only offer on the table is iu-b and a BC waitlist and neither are really conducive to obtaining a big law gig in the NYC area. So I guess what I want to know is should I take the money and/or ride the waitlist or reapply next cycle? It pains me to let my parents and other friends down by reapplying next cycle but I really can't see myself not working in the NYC area. I also can't see myself living in Indiana for three years, let alone working there. I have apps pending at Cornell and Vandy but, realistically speaking, I highly doubt I will get in.

For the record I am an AA male finishing up my last semester of undergrad and my numbers are roughly 3.5 155. I know I should have expected this, but I just wanted to take the chance. Thanks in advance for all replies.

chitown825

Re: I feared it wud happen, and it did. Could really use advice.

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 pm

onetimeonly95 wrote:So, my cycle has gone as such so far:

Waitlists:
BC
Emory
Nova'
Maryland

Rejected:
Duke
Gtown
BU
Fordham

The problem is I really want NYC and maybe Boston Biglaw (NYC>>>BOS) for a least a few years after I graduate. Right now the only offer on the table is iu-b and a BC waitlist and neither are really conducive to obtaining a big law gig in the NYC area. So I guess what I want to know is should I take the money and/or ride the waitlist or reapply next cycle? It pains me to let my parents and other friends down by reapplying next cycle but I really can't see myself not working in the NYC area. I also can't see myself living in Indiana for three years, let alone working there. I have apps pending at Cornell and Vandy but, realistically speaking, I highly doubt I will get in.

For the record I am an AA male finishing up my last semester of undergrad and my numbers are roughly 3.5 155. I know I should have expected this, but I just wanted to take the chance. Thanks in advance for all replies.

I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who was able to get a $90k scholarship at my school (Indiana) with MUCH lower numbers than me. Even worse, your hubris. You didn't apply to ANY realistic schools you would be happy at?

jkh

Postby jkh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Retake and apply next year

AsylumPB

Postby AsylumPB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:42 pm

i am calling shens on getting into iu-b with those numbers, let alone with that much of a scholly

edit: didn't see the URM status-- now it makes sense
Last edited by AsylumPB on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:51 pm

After re-reading this post it really, truly infuriates me.

As an aside, I think there's one option you should still consider: not going to law school.

onetimeonly95

Postby onetimeonly95 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:52 pm

No, I'm actually serious. Several other urms with my numbers received the same offer.

To chitown: I applied with the distant thought that I may have to sit out the cycle for a year. I applied to more realistic schools but I made visits and did not feel a vibe. I'm seriously grateful for the offer but after checking out iu-b's oci list...northeast firms seem to be scarce.

onetimeonly95

Postby onetimeonly95 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:53 pm

chitown825 wrote:After re-reading this post it really, truly infuriates me.

As an aside, I think there's one option you should still consider: not going to law school.

and here we go..I was looking for mere advice..please, i'd rather you not post out of spite.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 pm

chitown825 wrote:

Waitlists:
BC
Emory
Nova'
Maryland

Rejected:
Duke
Gtown
BU
Fordham

I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who was able to get a $90k scholarship at my school (Indiana) with MUCH lower numbers than me. Even worse, your hubris. You didn't apply to ANY realistic schools you would be happy at?

He didn't ask you to feel bad for him. Your jealousy is showing.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Why didn't you apply to more NY schools? Cardozo, Brooklyn, or even University at Buffalo.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

To actually answer your question, how much prep did you do for your ~155? If it wasn't much, then I would say definitely wait, retake, and apply next cycle. If you prepared pretty well and don't feel like you could raise your score that much, then I don't think your options would improve all that much.

Have you visited IU-B yet? It wouldn't be the worst place to spend three years, especially with that amount of money being offered. You might not get the ideal job out of law school, but few people do. Eventually, if you do what's necessary, you can end up where you want to be (although not necessarily doing the kind of work you want to do).

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Why didn't you apply to more NY schools? Cardozo, Brooklyn, or even University at Buffalo.

Also, this. If you didn't do that this cycle, that's another reason to wait.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm just bitter about the IU scholarship, sorry.

About the other thing, going to law school is a serious bet on yourself. If you want to practice at a NY firm, you'll need to be a superstar. Those jobs are reserved for the top spots at the top schools. If you're ONLY open to NYC biglaw, you need to realistically evaluate your decision to spend the time and money on law school, as well as what school that is and where you will rank in that class.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Retake - AA, good GPA... no reason to go to IUB for NYC. Break 160 and Fordham/BC would be knocking on your door.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Get over yourself. Don't take your self consciousness out on him/her.
Last edited by Blindmelon on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm

I would be a little hesitant to tell my family and friends I'm reapplying to law school next year also but I would be more hesitant to tell them I'm going to come home and sit on their couch because I just got a JD from a law school that offered no potential career options. Retake the LSAT. Try again next year young grasshopper.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 pm

I think part of what people are missing is that a retake is not an automatic improvement. Everyone has a ceiling, right?

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

Get over yourself. Don't take your self consciousness out on him/her.

You're right. Let's all drive our Priuses to fantasy land where facts don't matter and nobody's feelings are ever hurt.

BTW I have a unicorn I might be willing to sell

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm

:P
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm

td6624 wrote:I think part of what people are missing is that a retake is not an automatic improvement. Everyone has a ceiling, right?

Very true and in that case that person needs to be realistic about the schools they are applying to.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

merichard87 wrote:
td6624 wrote:I think part of what people are missing is that a retake is not an automatic improvement. Everyone has a ceiling, right?

Very true and in that case that person needs to be realistic about the schools they are applying to.

...And not apply somewhere, then once you get in say that you would never consider going there?

ja57047

Postby ja57047 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Go to IUB, you might like it. Make sure you dominate all of your classes and you can transfer if you don't like it. If you can't dominate your classes then your chances at biglaw might not be realistic anyway. Good luck and nice job getting that fat scholarship.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm

chitown825 wrote:
merichard87 wrote:

...And not apply somewhere, then once you get in say that you would never consider going there?

Oh jesus christ just stop posting in the thread.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Dude, Indiana is a great school. Are you REALLY sure you want to do NYC BigLaw that badly? Besides, with your numbers, it's fantastic that you got accepted at a T30 school -let alone such a great scholarship from them. If you really want to go to a T-14, you have to put up T-14 numbers.

Also at some point faced with such a situation, you have to ask yourself if it is the profession that you are pursuing -or some image you have in your head of youself working at a top law firm. Take the money from IUB and don't act so entitled, because URM status aside, there are people who are in a lot worse position who have the same numbers as you.

Another point, who cares about letting down your family and friends. If they are worth their salt, they will want what's best for you. This decision is about what will be best for your future -not living up to what people think you are.

By the way, have you lived in NYC all your life? Because there are some really NICE places to live in this country outside of New York. Expand your horizons.

Just because several other URM's got passes with numbers similar to you, it doesn't mean that you are an identical candidate as them. Besides, if you weren't an URM, you would be looking at a TTTT bro. Don't act so entitled.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:12 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

agreed. the general advice on this board is that if you do not do well (enough) on the LSAT, you should retake. but not everyone can retake and hit 170.

to the op, retaking seems to be your best shot at getting into your top choices, but only do so if you think you can dedicate time to studying and actually improve your score.

This is the correct response. If you're not sure you can do better, just sack up, go to IU-B, and make the most of it.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Waitlists:
BC
Emory
Nova'
Maryland

Rejected:
Duke
Gtown
BU
Fordham

Ignoring the rest of the URM rants, I think you should retake OP. A 155 means you definitely have a lot of room to improve, and paired with your decent 3.5 and AA status, a 165+ LSAT will open up a lot of doors.

Take an year off and devote a lot of time to the LSAT and you'd probably be looking at a guaranteed admission to one of the T14. Even with a 160+ (5 point improvement) your results could change quite drastically.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”