Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wash U, Notre Dame or Fordham for biglaw job in NYC or Boston?

Wash U in St. Louis (ranked 19)
8
16%
Notre Dame (ranked 23)
6
12%
Fordham (ranked 30)
36
72%
 
Total votes: 50

RW21
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 am

Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby RW21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22 am

I am deciding between Wash U in St. Louis, Notre Dame and Fordham. Ideally I would like the option of working for a large firm in NYC or Boston after graduation.

Wash U and Notre Dame have better ranks and beautiful campuses, but Fordham is in my desired location. I have no clue which is more important and I really need to decide ASAP!

I would really appreciate some advice!
Last edited by RW21 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Wash U v Notre Dame v Fordham

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Fordham.

User avatar
Snowdrifter
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby Snowdrifter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Geography > rank*


* = unless the disparity rank is comparing a T14 v. non-T14

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:58 pm

If you wanna be in NYC - Fordham is the easy choice given that cost is similar.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:59 pm

If you wanted Boston OR NYC, did you apply to BC/BU? Both really strong in Boston and can definitely hold their own in NYC. Fordham is probably the best for NYC, but doesn't transfer outside out NY.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Fordham will be the most helpful of your three choices for securing law firm interviews in New York City. Attending Fordham Law School will offer many internship/clerking opportunities with NYC law firms that may result in permanent placement.
Boston is a difficult legal market if one is attending a non-Boston area or Top 14 law school.
Attending any of these three law schools, making Law Review & graduating in the top 5% - 10% of the class should be enough to enable one to get interviews at top NYC & Boston law firms.

RW21
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 am

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby RW21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:35 am

Blindmelon wrote:If you wanted Boston OR NYC, did you apply to BC/BU? Both really strong in Boston and can definitely hold their own in NYC. Fordham is probably the best for NYC, but doesn't transfer outside out NY.


BC- rejected
BU- waitlisted

Do you think that Wash U or Notre Dame give me a better shot at a Boston school, or is Boston just out of the question for me?

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am

For NYC is Cardozo > Emory? (16k/yr Dozo, sticker Emory)

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:08 pm

RW21 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:If you wanted Boston OR NYC, did you apply to BC/BU? Both really strong in Boston and can definitely hold their own in NYC. Fordham is probably the best for NYC, but doesn't transfer outside out NY.


BC- rejected
BU- waitlisted

Do you think that Wash U or Notre Dame give me a better shot at a Boston school, or is Boston just out of the question for me?


Going to be tough with any of the schools for Boston. I would just go to Fordham and aim for NYC.

RW21
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 am

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby RW21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
RW21 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:If you wanted Boston OR NYC, did you apply to BC/BU? Both really strong in Boston and can definitely hold their own in NYC. Fordham is probably the best for NYC, but doesn't transfer outside out NY.


BC- rejected
BU- waitlisted

Do you think that Wash U or Notre Dame give me a better shot at a Boston school, or is Boston just out of the question for me?


Going to be tough with any of the schools for Boston. I would just go to Fordham and aim for NYC.


Why is it so difficult to break into the Boston legal market? I was accepted to Northeastern, but wasn't considering it because of rank. Would northeastern be my best bet if I want a job in Boston?

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I feel like Notre Dame has a solid alumni base in Boston but that's just anecdotal from growing up there. I know a couple of partners at major Boston firms that went to Notre Dame.

That said, if you're indifferent to Boston or NYC, go with Fordham and focus on NYC.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Geography v Rank ??? Which is more important??

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

RW21 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
RW21 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:If you wanted Boston OR NYC, did you apply to BC/BU? Both really strong in Boston and can definitely hold their own in NYC. Fordham is probably the best for NYC, but doesn't transfer outside out NY.


BC- rejected
BU- waitlisted

Do you think that Wash U or Notre Dame give me a better shot at a Boston school, or is Boston just out of the question for me?


Going to be tough with any of the schools for Boston. I would just go to Fordham and aim for NYC.


Why is it so difficult to break into the Boston legal market? I was accepted to Northeastern, but wasn't considering it because of rank. Would northeastern be my best bet if I want a job in Boston?


Its just difficult because other than Harvard and T14 folks that can make it up here, BC/BU really do dominate.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sadieshadow and 3 guests