Help! UVA ($) vs. Mich Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cant hardly wait

New

Help! UVA ($) vs. Mich

Post by cant hardly wait » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm

I realize that someone just posted a thread on these two schools today, but our situations are slightly different so I could use some TLS input on my own situation.

I got $45k total at UVA, and nothing from Mich. I really liked them both. I was slightly more impressed with the faculty and students at Mich, but to be fair, I spent about 2 days in Ann Arbor, and only 1 day in Charlottesville.

Both seemed pretty similar: awesome places to go to school in fun college towns.

I am 90% sure I want to work in DC after I graduate. The other 10% would be for NYC. I would like to pursue a clerkship, but am pretty open in terms of what I want to do after that (firm, government, etc.). I want to leave my options open. From what I have read, both schools have pretty similar placement in DC and NYC.

I think looking purely at the school, I like Mich a little bit more. However, I LOVE that UVA is on the East Coast, and I would be able to drive/bus/train to DC, NYC, etc. (where most of my family and friends are). I also need to consider the money from UVA.

I guess what I'm wondering is if I should pass up Mich for UVA's location and money, even if I liked Mich slightly more. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!!

scribelaw

Silver

Re: Help! UVA ($) vs. Mich

Post by scribelaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm

The $45,000 difference will be something like $500 a month in loan payments once you graduate. Since the two have roughly equivalent job placement, you'd have to have a pretty compelling personal reason for picking Mich over UVA. It sounds like you don't have a huge attachment to either and see pros and cons to both. Take the money.

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Have you tried asking for money from Michigan? Let them know about your offer from Virginia and your preference for Michigan and I think you would stand a solid chance of getting a scholarship of some amount.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm

I second both Jesto and scribe. Try to get money from Michigan, but in the end go with the school with the best scholarship. Period. There simply isn't enough difference between the two (in terms of job placement) to matter.

washingtonian

New

Post by washingtonian » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:15 am

I am really interested in this as well..... facing a similar dilemma.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 am

I was the person who started the other thread, and I'm choosing Michigan, but my situation does seem different (since I'll still be getting Mich aid). For me, my gut feeling is Michigan, and I think if I don't go there I'll regret it. It sounds like you maybe slightly like Michigan more, but it isn't blowing UVA out of the water. In that case I'd probably go with the money.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am

UVA is better for DC, so I'd take it even if they were the same price. But its 45K less.

I don't see the case for Michigan.

Also in before UVA fanbois.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:UVA is better for DC, so I'd take it even if they were the same price. But its 45K less.

I don't see the case for Michigan.

Ran here.

DC is UVa's primary market + scholarship. Should be a no brainer unless you really really reallyx100 hate something about UVa or if Michigan matches the scholly.

washingtonian

New

Post by washingtonian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:44 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Fanboy here ready for some trolling. Seriously though, I certainly think QOL should be a factor in the decision making process, probably more than many folks on this site. But with peer schools it would be crazy to turn down that kind of money unless you felt 3 years in C'ville would make you go nuts and 3 years in Ann Arbor would be paradise.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

I would go with UVA. I mean, you didn't hate the school or anything, right? $45k+interest would be nice not to have to pay back.

washingtonian

New

Post by washingtonian » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

ok not trying to hijack this thread, but it's been dead for a few days and my situation is very similar. i have equal $ from both Mich and UVA. liked Mich more, but want to be in DC. i have been hearing that UVA is better for DC.

thoughts on this? is there conventional wisdom that if you are set on the East Coast (DC or to a lesser extent, NYC), you should go to UVA over Mich?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:04 pm

I don't think there's a big difference in placement in DC. UVA is slightly better, but not enormously so. If you love Michigan, go to Michigan.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

washingtonian wrote:ok not trying to hijack this thread, but it's been dead for a few days and my situation is very similar. i have equal $ from both Mich and UVA. liked Mich more, but want to be in DC. i have been hearing that UVA is better for DC.

thoughts on this? is there conventional wisdom that if you are set on the East Coast (DC or to a lesser extent, NYC), you should go to UVA over Mich?
No...Mich's number 1 destination is NYC (not Chicago as a ton of people seem to think). DC is in the top 3. At equal money, just go to Mich since you like it more. COL is about the same anyway. Mich gets the vast majority of its offices from NYC, Chicago, and DC at OCI. And to be frank, if you want DC, you're going to have to graduate in the same top X amount of your class at either school.

If you get a decent amount of money from one school, go to the cheaper one. But in your situation, since it costs the same and you like it more, Mich makes more sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”