Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ejed09
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 am

Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby ejed09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi all,

Need some advice. I've narrowed my choices to two options: Wake Forest or University of Connecticut. I don't have a scholarship to either, but Uconn would be considerably less since i would have instate tuition.


Which school places better in DC, Boston, and NYC? Though I'm by no means 100% certain, I'm leading more towards business/corporate law at this point.

Also if any readers attend either of these schools- how would your rate the quality of life, professors and social scene at you law schools.

Thanks!!

EJJ

User avatar
afghan007
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby afghan007 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

I don't believe either school places well outside of its immediate area. Wake most likely better in DC, UConn better in NYC.. but neither very good. I'd lean toward the in-state tuition at UConn.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm

These are the two schools in choosing between at the moment as well. Interested to hear opinions.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 pm

For what it's worth, I'm choosing Wake (with money) over UConn. I got a much better feel from Wake when visiting, and they have a much more solid rep than UConn.

ejed09
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby ejed09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 am

kalvano wrote:For what it's worth, I'm choosing Wake (with money) over UConn. I got a much better feel from Wake when visiting, and they have a much more solid rep than UConn.



I'm leading towards Wake at this point as well... Did you hear about $$$ from wake when you were admitted? I have similar numbers and haven't heard a thing from them....

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:20 pm

ejed09 wrote:
kalvano wrote:For what it's worth, I'm choosing Wake (with money) over UConn. I got a much better feel from Wake when visiting, and they have a much more solid rep than UConn.



I'm leading towards Wake at this point as well... Did you hear about $$$ from wake when you were admitted? I have similar numbers and haven't heard a thing from them....



I applied very early, so I heard about $$ in the first scholarship round. It was a few weeks after admittance.

I think they are low on money, but Wake's admission office is fantastic. Just call and ask them, they will tell you.

marshalltucker
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby marshalltucker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 pm

UConn by a long shot. The debt coming out of Wake compared to instate at UConn is ridiculous. Unless Wake gives you enough to make it even I wouldn't have second thoughts. It's 52 to 42, thats not enough difference to justify anything close to full tuition at Wake and this is coming from someone who thinks Wake is vastly underrated.

goingbackeast
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby goingbackeast » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:06 pm

This must be the great UConn vs. Wake Forest year as I too have narrowed my choices down to both.

My specifics are a little different though, which makes the decision much tougher for me. I would ideally like to live in New England after law school, thus UConn at an in-state tuition rate plus 5k the first year makes immediate sense. But Wake came in with 18k/year (not just one year like UConn), making Wake actually the less expensive option. Being ranked higher, and something of a new challenge for me (lived and grew up in CT, went West Coast for undergrad, heading back east as per the user name), to go a long with the money, has me leaning Wake. I'm taking the weekend of April 8th-12th to visit both schools and get a better feel for each. Hopefully that will help me gain confidence in my decision.

But is there something major I'm missing with UConn that makes it a no brainer? I know it places better in New England and obviously Connecticut, but would I be that much worse off trying to get a job in CT coming out of Wake? I'm not 100% on returning to NE or CT after law school (though I'm pretty close) so I don't want to feel too boxed in, and still want the freedom of being able to visit a school that I fit at better regardless of geographic tendencies. Plus, in my case, Wake would be cheaper. So... I don't know. Help.

FWIW, I'm interested in Constitutional Law/politics. And not helping the matter is that I'm waitlisted at a handful of other schools, a few of which I might choose over either Wake or UConn (Vandy, BC, BU, Emory).

ejed09
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby ejed09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm

goingbackeast wrote:This must be the great UConn vs. Wake Forest year as I too have narrowed my choices down to both.

My specifics are a little different though, which makes the decision much tougher for me. I would ideally like to live in New England after law school, thus UConn at an in-state tuition rate plus 5k the first year makes immediate sense. But Wake came in with 18k/year (not just one year like UConn), making Wake actually the less expensive option. Being ranked higher, and something of a new challenge for me (lived and grew up in CT, went West Coast for undergrad, heading back east as per the user name), to go a long with the money, has me leaning Wake. I'm taking the weekend of April 8th-12th to visit both schools and get a better feel for each. Hopefully that will help me gain confidence in my decision.

But is there something major I'm missing with UConn that makes it a no brainer? I know it places better in New England and obviously Connecticut, but would I be that much worse off trying to get a job in CT coming out of Wake? I'm not 100% on returning to NE or CT after law school (though I'm pretty close) so I don't want to feel too boxed in, and still want the freedom of being able to visit a school that I fit at better regardless of geographic tendencies. Plus, in my case, Wake would be cheaper. So... I don't know. Help.

FWIW, I'm interested in Constitutional Law/politics. And not helping the matter is that I'm waitlisted at a handful of other schools, a few of which I might choose over either Wake or UConn (Vandy, BC, BU, Emory).




That makes like five of us just on this post debating between these two schools! First off, good luck with the WL schools--- I'm actually still waiting on a response from BU as well.

From what i read, reputation-wise there isn't a big difference between the two schools. At least not one that justifies paying full price at one school over a discounted price at the other. I'm not sure if I'm biased by the undergrad reputation of both schools, but i always imagined wake law to be more elite. In terms of first year salary, both seem to be the same: 115k (average 1st year), strong locally, but rather weak outside their nearby area....

I'm also trying to hit both the open houses on April 10 & 12. Perhaps i will see you there!

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

if hypothetically the cost was the same for both schools (which it currently isnt), Im going to attend the school where I can see myself living happily for the next 5-10 years. I loved WF, but loathed W-S. But since the legal scene is tiny in W-S I would probably be practicing in a different city, im not that worried about W-S. Im visiting uconn next week, so Ill be able to compare the two fairly well. However, if money is not the same (or negligible) I will probably attend the cheaper of the two options.

however, for those of you who have a preference of where you want to practice, I would 100% choose the local market if costs are equal.

User avatar
afghan007
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby afghan007 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 pm

goingbackeast wrote:But is there something major I'm missing with UConn that makes it a no brainer? I know it places better in New England and obviously Connecticut, but would I be that much worse off trying to get a job in CT coming out of Wake? I'm not 100% on returning to NE or CT after law school (though I'm pretty close) so I don't want to feel too boxed in, and still want the freedom of being able to visit a school that I fit at better regardless of geographic tendencies. Plus, in my case, Wake would be cheaper. So... I don't know. Help.

FWIW, I'm interested in Constitutional Law/politics. And not helping the matter is that I'm waitlisted at a handful of other schools, a few of which I might choose over either Wake or UConn (Vandy, BC, BU, Emory).


I think you have to balance the lower cost of Wake for you with your desire to work in CT. Wake reported placing 1 of their 2008 grads in CT. A cheaper Wake with reduced COL in North Carolina is tempting.

User avatar
CaptainSnuggleBunny
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 pm

goingbackeast wrote:T
But is there something major I'm missing with UConn that makes it a no brainer? I know it places better in New England and obviously Connecticut, but would I be that much worse off trying to get a job in CT coming out of Wake?



Yes, you would be that much worse off. Not to mention UConn's great clerkship placements, and the fact that CT has amongst the highest paying clerkships (somewhere near 70k, I believe).

Now, fight your way off one of those waitlist (I'd favor Vandy and BU) and then forget about UConn and Wake.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 pm

CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:Yes, you would be that much worse off. Not to mention UConn's great clerkship placements, and the fact that CT has amongst the highest paying clerkships (somewhere near 70k, I believe).



Wake has excellent clerkship placement as well, and it pays more in CT because it costs a lot more to live there.

For me, UConn was $10K more than Wake, and in talking with actual, real practicing attorneys, Wake has a much better rep than UConn does. Not that UConn is a bad school at all, it was a very serious contender for me. But Wake just seems to have a generally great reputation, while UConn is much more reasonable.

Another big consideration for me was the job prospects. I've visited both schools, and Wake seemed much more optimistic both from career services and from the students themselves as to opportunities available.

I'm not saying my experience is the one everyone will have, obviously, but it seems as if UConn places you squarely in New England where you are competing with quite a few excellent schools, and Wake gives you a little more mobility, and places better than higher-ranked schools in the state.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby moandersen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am

kalvano wrote:
CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:Yes, you would be that much worse off. Not to mention UConn's great clerkship placements, and the fact that CT has amongst the highest paying clerkships (somewhere near 70k, I believe).



Wake has excellent clerkship placement as well, and it pays more in CT because it costs a lot more to live there.

For me, UConn was $10K more than Wake, and in talking with actual, real practicing attorneys, Wake has a much better rep than UConn does. Not that UConn is a bad school at all, it was a very serious contender for me. But Wake just seems to have a generally great reputation, while UConn is much more reasonable.

Another big consideration for me was the job prospects. I've visited both schools, and Wake seemed much more optimistic both from career services and from the students themselves as to opportunities available.

I'm not saying my experience is the one everyone will have, obviously, but it seems as if UConn places you squarely in New England where you are competing with quite a few excellent schools, and Wake gives you a little more mobility, and places better than higher-ranked schools in the state.


You are/were in the enviable position in that you knew the cost of attendance for both schools. I got a great vibe from WF, but without any scholarship offer at the moment, I cant make a commitment. Uconn really has to 'wow' me when I visit next week to jump over WF if costs were equal. But unfortunately costs arent equal because of being able to get in-state tuition in CT after the first year. So Uconn just has to make a solid impression to take a slight lead in my mind. However, IF WF throws money at me, I would probably be there in a heartbeat - even without visiting uconn.

goingbackeast
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby goingbackeast » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Visiting both schools this upcoming weekend, should be make or break time for me. I was able to get an extension on my scholarship commitment date at Wake so that helps, but I honestly see myself depositing at both unless either one blows me away. Right now, with all the advice I'm being given, I'm leaning towards UConn if only because I think it makes the most sense for someone who wants to practice in New England. If Wake can convince me it'll keep me competitive in New England, though, I may change my mind (yet again). I've now gone from leaning UConn to leaning Wake back to leaning UConn.
And yup, still sitting on the waitlist at 6 other schools. I'll probably withdraw my acceptance from American and my spot on the waitlist at Washington & Lee soon.

lawwhat
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Wake v. Uconn (In-State Tuition)

Postby lawwhat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 pm

ejed09 wrote:Hi all,

Need some advice. I've narrowed my choices to two options: Wake Forest or University of Connecticut. I don't have a scholarship to either, but Uconn would be considerably less since i would have instate tuition.


Which school places better in DC, Boston, and NYC? Though I'm by no means 100% certain, I'm leading more towards business/corporate law at this point.

Also if any readers attend either of these schools- how would your rate the quality of life, professors and social scene at you law schools.

Thanks!!

EJJ


I am now in the same position, and I am choosing Wake. I believe that Wake is a great school, while I believe that UConn is a good school. My decision wasn't difficult before UConn offered me the in state tuition rate through a grant. But in the end, Wake is where my heart is, so I'll be in Winston-Salem this fall.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests