Is Harvard really this douchie?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nax425

Re: Is Harvard really this douchie?

Postby nax425 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:18 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
stratocophic wrote:No, no they cannot. Nor can they drive. Nashville's a hazardous place on the road, as is Atlanta.

It was not until I moved to Tennessee that I witnessed people actually come to a dead stop on the highway intead of using the shoulder for emergencies/to turn off. 2nd worst drivers in the country behind Florida. And no vehicle inspection.

after 20 years of lovely, spacious, grid-patterned roads...I moved to Nashville and realized what a cluster it is in the south to drive anywhere. and I thought the Missourians were bad... Nobody obeys the lights in Nashville. Of course that may be because the druggies come tap on your window while you're stopped.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:22 pm

td6624 wrote:He may have worded his argument more forcefully and overtly, but this is all pretty commonly held/discussed stuff. I don't know why everyone is just dismissing it outright.

Yea, I have no problem with it until he starts saying "It's all in the plan....". That's insane. The rest of it is forcefully stated (perhaps overly-so), but is not terribly out of the mainstream. I mean I thought it was pretty obvious that white guys don't like it when black guys bang white girls, and that white guys go after asian chicks a lot.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 pm

ughOSU wrote:It's a cultural difference between the NE and South. If you want to be around people who are "nice" and "polite", which to me is another way of saying that you want to be around people who don't directly challenge your opinions and why you hold them (albeit at times unnecessarily), then you may want to reconsider your decision to attend law school.

I hate how people on this site always tell others to reconsider their decision to attend law school because of some minor personality preference. I see it all the time and can't stand it.

I prefer to be around people who are nice, and therefore I shouldn't go to law school. Great reasoning.

fucking dumbass.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:It's a cultural difference between the NE and South. If you want to be around people who are "nice" and "polite", which to me is another way of saying that you want to be around people who don't directly challenge your opinions and why you hold them (albeit at times unnecessarily), then you may want to reconsider your decision to attend law school.

I hate how people on this site always tell others to reconsider their decision to attend law school because of some minor personality preference. I see it all the time and can't stand it.

I prefer to be around people who are nice, and therefore I shouldn't go to law school. Great reasoning.

fucking dumbass.

well you're a cunt.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm

thickfreakness wrote:All this north/south bickering aside, I think we can all agree that the south does, unquestionalby, have the the most attractive women in the country.

Do people consider DC/Maryland the South? I know that we are technically south of the Mason-Dixon, but I've never actually heard of any DC-area natives refer to themselves as Southern.

Just moved to Chicago from the Baltimore-DC-area, where I grew up (along with the Philly area,) and I've noticed that there are a lot more hot girls here in the Midwest, and people in general are way more friendly. I actually have conservations in public all the time. Back home people only talked to strangers if they wanted to cuss them out.

Also, to get back on topic, the one guy I knew that went to Harvard was extremely nice and humble. Great guy. Hope he didn't turn into a douche.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

ughOSU wrote:well you're a cunt.

harsh.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:41 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:All this north/south bickering aside, I think we can all agree that the south does, unquestionalby, have the the most attractive women in the country.

Do people consider DC/Maryland the South? I know that we are technically south of the Mason-Dixon, but I've never actually heard of any DC-area natives refer to themselves as Southern.

Just moved to Chicago from the Baltimore-DC-area, where I grew up (along with the Philly area,) and I've noticed that there are a lot more hot girls here in the Midwest, and people in general are way more friendly. I actually have conservations in public all the time. Back home people only talked to strangers if they wanted to cuss them out.

Also, to get back on topic, the one guy I knew that went to Harvard was extremely nice and humble. Great guy. Hope he didn't turn into a douche.

DC and Maryland aren't the south, hth.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 pm

I would think most law school (top and TTT) students are that way. I mean, law is a snobbish field itself, so you can't get away from snobbish people.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:

I live in one of the deep southern states. No, neither DC or Maryland is considered south here. When I tell people I would be still staying in the south when I go to UVA, people's reactions are always "well, sort of".

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

I live in one of the deep southern states. No, neither DC or Maryland is considered south here. When I tell people I would be still staying in the south when I go to UVA, people's reactions are always "well, sort of".

Haha alright. A lot of people from Massachusetts and New York came to my college (U. of Maryland) and would sometimes call us Marylanders Southern (and it usually wasn't a compliment.) Plus, we kind of pronounce our Os with a Southern accent.

We definitely consider UVA the South, though. Northern VA (NorVa) is typically considered more Northern because it's all DC suburbs, but anything below that is Dixieland. I guess it's all relative, though.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

Besides NOVA and the beach, the rest of Virginia really is southern. You won't find much deeper of a southern accent than in the SW corner of VA.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

When I tell people around here I'm thinking about going to Duke they don't consider it the south, which seems a little crazy.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 pm

ughOSU wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

fucking dumbass.

well you're a cunt.

I really enjoy this exchange.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 pm

RDU is not quite "southern" anymore since so many transplanted in the last decade or so.

South to me starts around Fredricksburg or so. I enjoy my trips from VA down to about Jacksonville or so. Florida is a wholenother thing.

I know the South has a bad reputation from the past, but... I seriously feel more racial tension and discontent in Philly than I have ever felt in the south, well in public places in bigger towns. I have had some hairy run ins with small towns in SC and klansmen in TN but that's not really representativie of the South in general.

If you say hi to a stranger in the south, it is normal. If you say hi to a stranger around these parts, they feel uneasy and uncomfortable. If they are not the same race as you, the tension increases 1000%.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:Florida is a wholenother thing.

How so?

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:30 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

When I tell people around here I'm thinking about going to Duke they don't consider it the south, which seems a little crazy.

Really? Isn't Duke considered Harvard of the south? :D Our states are probably next to each other.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:31 pm

dk8 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

Besides NOVA and the beach, the rest of Virginia really is southern. You won't find much deeper of a southern accent than in the SW corner of VA.

Lol, I'm curious to see how southern the accent can get.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 pm

unknownscholar wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:it's been my experience that when I've felt that most of the people around me were offputting, it was me. I don't say this to be facetious. it really was me. I tend to feel this way when I walk into an environment where I'm in the minority. like being the only URM in the class...every class. or coming into a school off the waitlist. for me, it was about needing more self-confidence.

So URM's who feel uncomfortable in an environment are to blame for their own discomfort? Sorry Charlie but u walked into that one and I just had to pounce. Furthermore, you are obviously not a so-called URM, so how would you know what it's like being a URM or dealing with any environment in the skin of one?

Besides presenting the obvious questions, you appear to make some unwarranted assumptions. Are all URM's created and/or perceived equally? Are all "URM gender groups" (ex: Black male vs. Mexican Female) created and/or perceived equally? Don't perceptions affect experiences? And for the record, healthy confidence is what allows URM's to survive in a system that was not created with them in mind. We possess it. Our daily world is one designed to make us uncomfortable.

You stepped in it.

So as not to appear flame-ish, I will stay on topic. I do agree with the proposition that people sometimes must adjust to their environments. But the Harvard environment is a snobish one. Must one be a snob to survive it? I don't think that's necessarily so. But one must face and be prepared to deal with that reality.

lol...wtf?? I'm a black female. I've attended roman catholic schools my entire life (85+% non-minority), But that's besides the point. You underlined the wrong section. "It was me....It really was me." I'm not speaking about all URMs or all waitlisted applicants (to any program), etc. I speak on my behalf. I felt insecure about those circumstances, without regard to how comfortable or uncomfortable someone actually tried to make me feel. And I felt this way because of the perceptions you've mentioned. And because of some of my own preconceptions. I'm not sure how most people perceived me. I was so into myself, that I hadn't taken too much time to give anyone a real opportunity to get to know me in order to fully inform a perception. So whatever opinions they had about me before meeting me, were quite possibly more generous than I ultimately deserved.

We possess it? And because I have not been too confident, that necessarily means I'm not a minority? And it's me that's making unwarranted assumptions? lol. okay.

Yes, I've stepped into it, but I'm not sure what IT is yet. I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out where all these generalizations came from. Maybe I wasn't explicit enough in providing examples. those were personal experiences.

/sorry for any hijacking.

Ok. Even if you are URM, my statements above still apply. I think adjustments need to be made on both sides. That's what dioversity is about, and that is what fitting in is about. And you read that i acknowledged prejudices that can exist in given environments...no need to rehash those. FWIW, I can't see a black female writing that way. Your "voice' does not read black female.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Florida is a wholenother thing.

How so?

full of vacationers, or retirees, or northerners looking for better weather. I don't even know what the native population of FL is like. It is hard to compare to the other southern cities that I have spent time. Florida feels more north like than the rest. I have spent decent amount of time in Richmond, VA Beach, Myrtle Beach area, RDU, ATL, Augusta, Birmingham, Selma, Ashville, Danville, Knoxville. I feel like I had pretty good samples of the South and I like it over the North in general.

I do love Philly deeply, but not because it is a nicer place. I am just attached to it. I would love to live in the South eventually, probably ATL area, or near Savannah but I need to make the money first.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

DC and Maryland aren't the south, hth.

Actually Maryland is and has been considered part of the South for sometime. Even the US Census considers it part of the south.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Lol, I'm curious to see how southern the accent can get.

Danville/Blacksburg/Charlottesville have the thickest southern accent that I have come across. I think middle parts of SC is pretty strong as well.

Sweet tea, pulled pork, and virginia country ham :)

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Lol, I'm curious to see how southern the accent can get.

Danville/Blacksburg/Charlottesville have the thickest southern accent that I have come across. I think middle parts of SC is pretty strong as well.

Sweet tea, pulled pork, and virginia country ham :)

In college I roomed with some kids from Lee County VA, which is in the very corner of Virginia. Good guys, extremely thick accents.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Apple Tree wrote:

It has always seemed strange to me that Deep Southerners think of Virginia as "semi-Southern". Although the first capital of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama, the city that held that role the longest was Richmond, Virginia. Even after Richmond fell, the capital was Danville, Virginia. Historical arguments aside, the culture throughout most of the state (save NoVa and Beach) comports well with the socially conservative culture of the South.

That said, and more on topic, every law school has its share of douchebags. You can't avoid it. Even at "Disneyland" and other schools that claim otherwise.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Really? Isn't Duke considered Harvard of the south? :D Our states are probably next to each other.

I think in my state my UG is considered the Harvard of the South, lol. (Alabama)

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 pm

OneKnight wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:

It has always seemed strange to me that Deep Southerners think of Virginia as "semi-Southern". Although the first capital of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama, the city that held that role the longest was Richmond, Virginia. Even after Richmond fell, the capital was Danville, Virginia. Historical arguments aside, the culture throughout most of the state (save NoVa and Beach) comports well with the socially conservative culture of the South.

That said, and more on topic, every law school has its share of douchebags. You can't avoid it. Even at "Disneyland" and other schools that claim otherwise.

Parts of Virginia aren't very southern. Virginia Beach reminded me more of Orlando than it did the actual Deep South.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”