Is Harvard really this douchie?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SpaceDawg

Re: Is Harvard really this douchie?

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 am

r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
im sry to hear this, but at the same time, i wonder if this will be my experience there as well; yet the thing that worries me the most is just northeasterners being mean -- im from the south and generally everyone is nice and polite down here...my friends' and my own interactions w/ northeners havent led to the same results haha

I can't speak for Harvard. But as for the northeast ... I spend a lot of time in the south, I enjoy my interactions with strangers in the south. Rarely feel the same way about the northeast. People are a lot more laid back, pleasant, cordial, and courteous in the south.

I think southerners are just more subtle with their hate. I'd rather have it right in my face.

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 am

SpaceDawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
im sry to hear this, but at the same time, i wonder if this will be my experience there as well; yet the thing that worries me the most is just northeasterners being mean -- im from the south and generally everyone is nice and polite down here...my friends' and my own interactions w/ northeners havent led to the same results haha

I can't speak for Harvard. But as for the northeast ... I spend a lot of time in the south, I enjoy my interactions with strangers in the south. Rarely feel the same way about the northeast. People are a lot more laid back, pleasant, cordial, and courteous in the south.

I think southerners are just more subtle with their hate. I'd rather have it right in my face.

No, northerners are generally impolite and unnecessarily curt. I really don't know what that has to do with hate.

Philly had it right. Southerners are nice to strangers. If I'm in a strange town in the south, I can walk into almost any bar in and talk college football and make friends. This generally isn't true in the north. I've traveled the states quite a bit in my time.

Also, the women are hotter in the south.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:52 am

$1.99 wrote:yes most people who got into yale got into harvard but this doesn't apply to stanford

actually i find it funny that this forum is douchy enough to douche on a school like harvard

it's pretty obvious that we're all douches for douching on people we don't even really know based on small samples, and general impressions

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:54 am

HBK wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

No, northerners are generally impolite and unnecessarily curt. I really don't know what that has to do with hate.

Philly had it right. Southerners are nice to strangers. If I'm in a strange town in the south, I can walk into almost any bar in and talk college football and make friends. This generally isn't true in the north. I've traveled the states quite a bit in my time.

I was actually being silly. And I do not agree that women are hotter in the south. Well, at least not in the places that I've lived in/been to. And I found that Southerners aren't as nice to strangers if you're a minority.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 am

HBK wrote:No, northerners are generally impolite and unnecessarily curt. I really don't know what that has to do with hate.

It's a cultural difference between the NE and South. If you want to be around people who are "nice" and "polite", which to me is another way of saying that you want to be around people who don't directly challenge your opinions and why you hold them (albeit at times unnecessarily), then you may want to reconsider your decision to attend law school. The culture of law school is inquiry and at times that spills over into douchiness. Northerners are more used to this kind of thing, and see it as a kind of edgy charm, whereas southerners see it as them being assholes. If you're going to law school, you should probably get used to it.

Also, everyone is lying to themselves if they think girls aren't hotter in the south.

e: fwiw, I see the south's "Southern Hospitality" as pathetic hypocrisy... wasn't it only a few years ago you guys were running around lynching people for voting? I'm sure you see it differently.

Sorry for going off topic.... I would expect harvard to be slightly more douchey, but not so much moreso than other T14 schools.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 am

PDaddy wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:it's been my experience that when I've felt that most of the people around me were offputting, it was me. I don't say this to be facetious. it really was me. I tend to feel this way when I walk into an environment where I'm in the minority. like being the only URM in the class...every class. or coming into a school off the waitlist. for me, it was about needing more self-confidence.

So URM's who feel uncomfortable in an environment are to blame for their own discomfort? Sorry Charlie but u walked into that one and I just had to pounce. Furthermore, you are obviously not a so-called URM, so how would you know what it's like being a URM or dealing with any environment in the skin of one?

Besides presenting the obvious questions, you appear to make some unwarranted assumptions. Are all URM's created and/or perceived equally? Are all "URM gender groups" (ex: Black male vs. Mexican Female) created and/or perceived equally? Don't perceptions affect experiences? And for the record, healthy confidence is what allows URM's to survive in a system that was not created with them in mind. We possess it. Our daily world is one designed to make us uncomfortable.

You stepped in it.

So as not to appear flame-ish, I will stay on topic. I do agree with the proposition that people sometimes must adjust to their environments. But the Harvard environment is a snobish one. Must one be a snob to survive it? I don't think that's necessarily so. But one must face and be prepared to deal with that reality.

I think given that unknownscholar turned out to actually be an URM, and had a pretty great response to what you said, you came across as a pretty big douche. Which is ironic, given that this is a thread about people being douchie... do you go to Harvard by any chance?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22 am

ughOSU wrote:
HBK wrote:No, northerners are generally impolite and unnecessarily curt. I really don't know what that has to do with hate.

It's a cultural difference between the NE and South. If you want to be around people who are "nice" and "polite", which to me is another way of saying that you want to be around people who don't directly challenge your opinions and why you hold them (albeit at times unnecessarily), then you may want to reconsider your decision to attend law school. The culture of law school is inquiry and at times that spills over into douchiness. Northerners are more used to this kind of thing, and see it as a kind of edgy charm, whereas southerners see it as them being assholes. If you're going to law school, you should probably get used to it.

Also, everyone is lying to themselves if they think girls aren't hotter in the south.

e: fwiw, I see the south's "Southern Hospitality" as pathetic hypocrisy... wasn't it only a few years ago you guys were running around lynching people for voting? I'm sure you see it differently.

Sorry for going off topic.... I would expect harvard to be slightly more douchey, but not so much moreso than other T14 schools.

lol im simply talking about making new friends, acquaintances, and strangers -- ppl my friends and i have met/spoken to from the north didnt have much patience for strangers. they didnt really say hi or care. hell, i was even cussed out once or twice (for really really stupid reasons).

sure you can talk about southern hypocrisy w/ the lynchings of the past and how minorities arent treated as fairly, but to be honest, those are moot points because 1) it was in the past and im talking about the now; 2) if that were a prob, it'd only be a problem in the rural areas, which i dont live in and am not comparing lol

as far as my interactions go, on a practical lvl, i think im going to need to change my mindset
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 am

Drew2010 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:it's been my experience that when I've felt that most of the people around me were offputting, it was me. I don't say this to be facetious. it really was me. I tend to feel this way when I walk into an environment where I'm in the minority. like being the only URM in the class...every class. or coming into a school off the waitlist. for me, it was about needing more self-confidence.

So URM's who feel uncomfortable in an environment are to blame for their own discomfort? Sorry Charlie but u walked into that one and I just had to pounce. Furthermore, you are obviously not a so-called URM, so how would you know what it's like being a URM or dealing with any environment in the skin of one?

Besides presenting the obvious questions, you appear to make some unwarranted assumptions. Are all URM's created and/or perceived equally? Are all "URM gender groups" (ex: Black male vs. Mexican Female) created and/or perceived equally? Don't perceptions affect experiences? And for the record, healthy confidence is what allows URM's to survive in a system that was not created with them in mind. We possess it. Our daily world is one designed to make us uncomfortable.

You stepped in it.

So as not to appear flame-ish, I will stay on topic. I do agree with the proposition that people sometimes must adjust to their environments. But the Harvard environment is a snobish one. Must one be a snob to survive it? I don't think that's necessarily so. But one must face and be prepared to deal with that reality.

I think given that unknownscholar turned out to actually be an URM, and had a pretty great response to what you said, you came across as a pretty big douche. Which is ironic, given that this is a thread about people being douchie... do you go to Harvard by any chance?

no way he'd go -- im pretty sure he's a die-hard SLS fan...

...speaking of SLS fans, where the hell is crackberry?! ive been waiting on him to regale us w/ tales about the "non-douchieness" of SLS students lol

/turns on crackberry bat signal

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:25 am

I've found strangers in the south to be snobby and judgmental towards me, on the basis that I am not the type of dude who talks to strangers about football or compares the regional hotness of women. This has never been a problem in the north.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 am

skynet wrote:

I've found strangers in the south to be snobby and judgmental towards me, on the basis that I am not the type of dude who talks to strangers about football or compares the regional hotness of women. This has never been a problem in the north.

really? id just be baffled, why wouldnt you want to talk to strangers about football? :P

haha and no one here compares the regional hotness of women (thought south having the hottest was fact :wink: )

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 am

All this north/south bickering aside, I think we can all agree that the south does, unquestionalby, have the the most attractive women in the country.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 am

DoubleChecks wrote:as far as my interactions go, on a practical lvl, i think im going to need to change my mindset

This is all I was trying to communicate. Southerners tend to take things more personally than northerners (see: your defensive reaction when I brought up the civil rights movement). You should be aware of that, or you'll probably have a miserable time in the northeast.

re: southern hypocrisy, you see it your way and I see it mine. The past is the past, but it matters.

Anyway, I reconsidered that post and was signing back on to erase it and instead write "eh, fuck it, hottest girls are in the south"...

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 am

ughOSU wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:as far as my interactions go, on a practical lvl, i think im going to need to change my mindset

This is all I was trying to communicate. Southerners tend to take things more personally than northerners (see: your defensive reaction when I brought up the civil rights movement). You should be aware of that, or you'll probably have a miserable time in the northeast.

re: southern hypocrisy, you see it your way and I see it mine. The past is the past, but it matters.

Anyway, I reconsidered that post and was signing back on to erase it and instead write "eh, fuck it, hottest girls are in the south"...

lol my defensive reaction? really? haha

and i know the past matters, i just meant in the context of this discussion and concern, this part of the past doesnt lol -- i didnt mean to get into a pissing match w/ the north, i was just worried about my environment while being there

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 am

thickfreakness wrote:All this north/south bickering aside, I think we can all agree that the south does, unquestionalby, have the the most attractive women in the country.

But can they SPELL!!?
I live in the South. Took this at work yesterday.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:59 am

thickfreakness wrote:All this north/south bickering aside, I think we can all agree that the south does, unquestionably, have the the most attractive women in the country.

Negative. Even the busted girls in NYC at least try. In the South you get the moms of 5 that just don't care anymore. I'd have to say Cali has the most attractive women in the country. This is coming from a NY'er that currently lives in VA.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ughOSU wrote:

lol my defensive reaction? really? haha

and i know the past matters, i just meant in the context of this discussion and concern, this part of the past doesnt lol -- i didnt mean to get into a pissing match w/ the north, i was just worried about my environment while being there

Eh he's just mad because the SEC routinely kicks his school's ass in everything :P

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:51 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:All this north/south bickering aside, I think we can all agree that the south does, unquestionalby, have the the most attractive women in the country.

But can they SPELL!!?
I live in the South. Took this at work yesterday.

No, no they cannot. Nor can they drive. Nashville's a hazardous place on the road, as is Atlanta.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 pm

stratocophic wrote:No, no they cannot. Nor can they drive. Nashville's a hazardous place on the road, as is Atlanta.

It was not until I moved to Tennessee that I witnessed people actually come to a dead stop on the highway intead of using the shoulder for emergencies/to turn off. 2nd worst drivers in the country behind Florida. And no vehicle inspection.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
stratocophic wrote:No, no they cannot. Nor can they drive. Nashville's a hazardous place on the road, as is Atlanta.

It was not until I moved to Tennessee that I witnessed people actually come to a dead stop on the highway intead of using the shoulder for emergencies/to turn off. 2nd worst drivers in the country behind Florida. And no vehicle inspection.

Can vouch, having lived in both. No turn signal at 55 mph before slamming to a stop and turning into hidden roads. That and turning their turn signal on because the person in front of them is turning. Just... WTF?

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:So URM's who feel uncomfortable in an environment are to blame for their own discomfort? Sorry Charlie but u walked into that one and I just had to pounce. Furthermore, you are obviously not a so-called URM, so how would you know what it's like being a URM or dealing with any environment in the skin of one?

no way he'd go -- im pretty sure he's a die-hard SLS fan...

I'm pretty sure somebody who believes this probably won't end up at Stanford or Harvard:

PDaddy wrote:No, that's what's in the interest of white men's desires. They want every woman they can get. I am just going to put it out there. This is not "new".

White men have always wanted all of the women for themselves. They want the fine black women but cannot stand the sight of a black man walking in the mall with a white hottie. Three words: Seal...Heidi...Klum!

The reason white men would often castrate/mutilate black men when they lynched them is because they had a fear of black male sexual potency. They lynched black men for just that reason. And that fear hasn't gone anywhere. White men tend to want all of the women for themselves, and that includes black women. You almost get the feeling that if they had their choice, black men wouldn't have genitals at all. They wouldn't be born with them.

I don't mean to say that every white man thinks this way, or that it is a conscious decision. I am saying that, as a collective, they tend to have a real problem with black male sexuality. From slavery, they have also wanted to see black men emasculated. Teach the black woman that the only "real man" is the man who rules. The golden rule is the man with the gold...rules. The white man had/has the "gold", therefore he rules. Reduce the black man to the status of a child. Beat the black man in front of his woman and she will not look at him as a man, and then she will obey the white man. She will submit to him in every way, especially when it come to sex. That isn't always the reality, but that is the goal.

Today, it's "arrest/terminate/degrade the black man in front of his woman enough times and she will only have confidence in white men". It's the same old song, and some black women fall for it.

Some white men seek to benefit from the negative conditions they have created for black men over the last four centuries. We are mostly broke (or broken) by institutional racism (schools, Corporate America), incarcerated by a racist criminal justice system, driven crazy, selling drugs or on them, lost, or dead from guns and drugs floated into our communities by the men who want our women. Many of the good black men are being ignored by the black woman simply because they cannot match her earning power. You heard Gaia say she has certain requirements in her men. On its face, this is not an unusual or unfair policy.

But given the conditions that afflict our community, educated black women making six figure salaries should be happy to have husbands making $50-85K if they work hard, are good fathers and are leaders in the community.

But the system is set to let black women through the gate and keep black men out. It's all in the plan: divide the black male and female, and conquer the black female.

I know these views seem strong or "extreme" to some people, but I only know how to serve it up one way...REAL TALK.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Don't go to Harvard, instead, opt for a full ride at Berkeley or the like.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:19 pm

PDaddy wrote:No, that's what's in the interest of white men's desires. They want every woman they can get. I am just going to put it out there. This is not "new".

White men have always wanted all of the women for themselves. They want the fine black women but cannot stand the sight of a black man walking in the mall with a white hottie. Three words: Seal...Heidi...Klum!

The reason white men would often castrate/mutilate black men when they lynched them is because they had a fear of black male sexual potency. They lynched black men for just that reason. And that fear hasn't gone anywhere. White men tend to want all of the women for themselves, and that includes black women. You almost get the feeling that if they had their choice, black men wouldn't have genitals at all. They wouldn't be born with them.

I don't mean to say that every white man thinks this way, or that it is a conscious decision. I am saying that, as a collective, they tend to have a real problem with black male sexuality. From slavery, they have also wanted to see black men emasculated. Teach the black woman that the only "real man" is the man who rules. The golden rule is the man with the gold...rules. The white man had/has the "gold", therefore he rules. Reduce the black man to the status of a child. Beat the black man in front of his woman and she will not look at him as a man, and then she will obey the white man. She will submit to him in every way, especially when it come to sex. That isn't always the reality, but that is the goal.

Today, it's "arrest/terminate/degrade the black man in front of his woman enough times and she will only have confidence in white men". It's the same old song, and some black women fall for it.

Some white men seek to benefit from the negative conditions they have created for black men over the last four centuries. We are mostly broke (or broken) by institutional racism (schools, Corporate America), incarcerated by a racist criminal justice system, driven crazy, selling drugs or on them, lost, or dead from guns and drugs floated into our communities by the men who want our women. Many of the good black men are being ignored by the black woman simply because they cannot match her earning power. You heard Gaia say she has certain requirements in her men. On its face, this is not an unusual or unfair policy.

But given the conditions that afflict our community, educated black women making six figure salaries should be happy to have husbands making $50-85K if they work hard, are good fathers and are leaders in the community.

But the system is set to let black women through the gate and keep black men out. It's all in the plan: divide the black male and female, and conquer the black female.

I know these views seem strong or "extreme" to some people, but I only know how to serve it up one way...REAL TALK.

--ImageRemoved--

ali & ali

Postby ali & ali » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 pm

I find it hilarious that the TLS culture has such contempt for Harvard. Even on the TLS description page for Harvard, the first thing you read is a thought on the potential negative aspects (the size) of Harvard. I mean, we all know Stanford and Yale are good schools, with their own pluses and minuses, but is it really necessary to always try to rip on Harvard?

Everywhere you go throughout the T-14, you're going to meet pompous douches because, sadly, that's a self-selecting group that trends towards becoming lawyers. I think that Harvard's lay prestige fuels at least some of the contempt. Yale and Stanford grads know they're just as good but do not get recognized for it by the general population. Don't worry, guys, we know you're cool!

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:46 pm

Yale would take him though. Sounds like he has a promising future as a critical legal studies academic.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm

thickfreakness wrote:

Yale would take him though. Sounds like he has a promising future as a critical legal studies academic.

He may have worded his argument more forcefully and overtly, but this is all pretty commonly held/discussed stuff. I don't know why everyone is just dismissing it outright.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”