Is Harvard really this douchie?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
OneKnight

Re: Is Harvard really this douchie?

Postby OneKnight » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
Lol, I'm curious to see how southern the accent can get.

Actually, there is a difference between the accent in SW VA and elsewhere in the South. There is a difference between the appalachian "twang", if you will, and the general Southern "drawl". (Appalachians monophthongize EVERYTHING, whereas other Southerners only do so in certain contexts. The appalachian (whether Virginian or otherwise) accent is often stigmatized as working class or "white trash" in the rest of the South.

/TMI

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 pm

daesonesb wrote:
OneKnight wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
I live in one of the deep southern states. No, neither DC or Maryland is considered south here. When I tell people I would be still staying in the south when I go to UVA, people's reactions are always "well, sort of".

It has always seemed strange to me that Deep Southerners think of Virginia as "semi-Southern". Although the first capital of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama, the city that held that role the longest was Richmond, Virginia. Even after Richmond fell, the capital was Danville, Virginia. Historical arguments aside, the culture throughout most of the state (save NoVa and Beach) comports well with the socially conservative culture of the South.

That said, and more on topic, every law school has its share of douchebags. You can't avoid it. Even at "Disneyland" and other schools that claim otherwise.

Parts of Virginia aren't very southern. Virginia Beach reminded me more of Orlando than it did the actual Deep South.

NoVa and Beach, as I said, are exceptions to this (NoVa moreso than Beach)

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm

PDaddy wrote:Ok. Even if you are URM, my statements above still apply. I think adjustments need to be made on both sides. That's what dioversity is about, and that is what fitting in is about. And you read that i acknowledged prejudices that can exist in given environments...no need to rehash those. FWIW, I can't see a black female writing that way. Your "voice' does not read black female.

Everybody's just going to let this slide? Okay then.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Shlonster wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Ok. Even if you are URM, my statements above still apply. I think adjustments need to be made on both sides. That's what dioversity is about, and that is what fitting in is about. And you read that i acknowledged prejudices that can exist in given environments...no need to rehash those. FWIW, I can't see a black female writing that way. Your "voice' does not read black female.

I found that odd as well. wtf.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:19 pm

Shlonster wrote:

Talking about states in the South is so much more pleasant than trying to argue with someone who has said something so stupid and offensive ("I can't see a black female writing that way..")

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:32 pm

stratocophic wrote:Can vouch, having lived in both. No turn signal at 55 mph before slamming to a stop and turning into hidden roads. That and turning their turn signal on because the person in front of them is turning. Just... WTF?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:12 am

What did you really expect from incoming HARVARD law students? IMO, putting up with arrogant pricks for 3 years to graduate from a school like Harvard is worth it if Stanford or Yale isn't an option.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 am

Shlonster wrote:

lol. I totally missed this. thanks shlonster.

PD,

Your statements still apply to what? to whom? And who refuted that adjustments need to be made on both sides? I'm concerned, first and foremost, about how I adjust, and it is my hope that others will do the same as is appropriate in their situations, but realize I wasn't talking about everyone else. Insofar as you continue to believe that your statements are well-informed and appropriate responses to my statement about myself, I would hope that yours would at least touch on something of substance that I didn't consider. But your responses suggest that you're more interested in defining who I should be and what my experiences should have been based on your own preconceptions.

My response was addressed to you to point out that you've made (and continue to make) some sweeping generalizations, which is ironic considering you accused me of doing this.

And about this last one in particular....(and maybe I'm being too generous in this assumption) I'm thinking this is an allusion to the often perceived confidence of black women? Okay. But once again, you'd be making the mistake of attributing the characteristics of the whole to the part. And I'm sure you'd know this going into it, so the true intention appears to have been to take a dig at me for being honest about my experiences with self-confidence.

If this is the case, make a more blatant dig, despite the fact that it wouldn't have accomplished much. But it would have, at least, saved you from making a sweeping generalization about what defines the black woman. It's not getting you very far. If this is not the case, and you intended to define for us, who we are, I'm sure some black women on this forum with some extra time on their hands have some words for you...And anyone else who isn't especially keen on being categorized.

I never knew that being honest about my experiences could or should define my place (or lack thereof) in my race. If anything at all, I thought it'd suggest something about my character. But I'm not going to lose sleep over this one. Ah well. 8)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:
Shlonster wrote:

Talking about states in the South is so much more pleasant than trying to argue with someone who has said something so stupid and offensive ("I can't see a black female writing that way..")

lol i was surprised that that was glazed over as well -- i found it to be an incredibly racist and offensive thing to say

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
lol i was surprised that that was glazed over as well -- i found it to be an incredibly racist and offensive thing to say

Mmm, donuts....

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:44 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:
Shlonster wrote:

He was stating, perhaps somewhat less eloquently, that he didn't believe her statements reflected the point of view of the vast majority of black females. He's correct but he should of course keep in mind that Justice Thomas doesn't reflect the point of view of most black males... he's still black.

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:16 am

Drake014 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol i was surprised that that was glazed over as well -- i found it to be an incredibly racist and offensive thing to say

He was stating, perhaps somewhat less eloquently, that he didn't believe her statements reflected the point of view of the vast majority of black females. He's correct but he should of course keep in mind that Justice Thomas doesn't reflect the point of view of most black males... he's still black.

Even if that's true, it's still racist.

Moving on, I really appreciated the person above who appreciated glazed donuts. Because, honestly, I love donuts.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:29 am

Shlonster wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol i was surprised that that was glazed over as well -- i found it to be an incredibly racist and offensive thing to say

Even if that's true, it's still racist.

Moving on, I really appreciated the person above who appreciated glazed donuts. Because, honestly, I love donuts.

mmmmmmmm....donut wedding caaaake....

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:32 am

And honestly, there's a good chance I'm going to Harvard, and can someone who loves glazed donuts really be a snobby douche?

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:57 am

I have a good idea of where he's going with it, and your interpretation, Drake, isn't much better. It makes it sound like you actually know the individual point of view of most black women when in fact you do not. That is impossible to know. And even if you have a general idea of our perception on the whole (and I'm definitely skeptical as to how you could acquire this), that gives no indication of what to expect on an individual level. You're removing a person's agency by doing this, which is in line with why this particular sub-discussion was launched in the first place, if I understand it correctly. This is no less a preconception than is someone who forms an opinion of you based on prejudice, as is alluded to here:

"So URM's who feel uncomfortable in an environment are to blame for their own discomfort?... how would you know what it's like being a URM or dealing with any environment in the skin of one...Don't perceptions affect experiences?"

If there is any merit at all to what you're saying, there's got to be a better way to get it across. For now, I'm not convinced that either of you knows exactly what you're talking about, much less the implications behind it. It is very difficult to have meaningful dialogue under these circumstances. Whether or not I reflect the attitude or voice of a black woman is irrelevant, as I am not speaking on anyone's behalf but my own. And I'm done with that too.

/end hijack.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:16 am

unknownscholar wrote:I have a good idea of where he's going with it, and your interpretation, Drake, isn't much better. It makes it sound like you actually know the individual point of view of most black women when in fact you do not. That is impossible to know. And even if you have a general idea of our perception on the whole (and I'm definitely skeptical as to how you could acquire this), that gives no indication of what to expect on an individual level. You're removing a person's agency by doing this, which is in line with why this particular sub-discussion was launched in the first place, if I understand it correctly. This is no less a preconception than is someone who forms an opinion of you based on prejudice, as is alluded to here:

"So URM's who feel uncomfortable in an environment are to blame for their own discomfort?... how would you know what it's like being a URM or dealing with any environment in the skin of one...Don't perceptions affect experiences?"

If there is any merit at all to what you're saying, there's got to be a better way to get it across. For now, I'm not convinced that either of you knows exactly what you're talking about, much less the implications behind it. It is very difficult to have meaningful dialogue under these circumstances. Whether or not I reflect the attitude or voice of a black woman is irrelevant, as I am not speaking on anyone's behalf but my own. And I'm done with that too.

/end hijack.

Its very clear from the 3 paragraphs you wrote responding to my 2 sentences that you don't understand my interpretation. Just like you, I'm a unique little snowflake and no one can understand the vast intricacies of my existence nor the existence or point of views of any of the other millions of unique little snowflakes in the country. This is why political campaigns, advertising campaigns, and sociological studies are all endeavors that amount to nothing. The fact that about 90% of blacks consistently vote Democrat (when they vote), Catholicism is the most popular religion amongst hispanics, and whites fled to the suburbs are all just coincidences and in no way support the theory that people from similar demographics often have similar viewpoints on things.

Edit: And just in case you can't detect the sarcasm dripping from my post, allow me to add: :roll:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:15 am

DoubleChecks wrote:...speaking of SLS fans, where the hell is crackberry?! ive been waiting on him to regale us w/ tales about the "non-douchieness" of SLS students lol

/turns on crackberry bat signal

Harvard: all your cool, non-douchey admits are belong to Stanford and Yale!

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:51 am

Drake014 wrote:

wtf, that's not what that means at all.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:18 am

thickfreakness wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Really? Isn't Duke considered Harvard of the south? :D Our states are probably next to each other.

I think in my state my UG is considered the Harvard of the South, lol. (Alabama)

I'm on your left. :D

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 pm

td6624 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

i took it as a racist and offensive comment because...well, who is he to say how black women should be "sounding" like? i wont even get into the group vs. individual part

im asian, so ill have to flip this to my culture to make more sense of it: it is as if i wrote a passage and someone said, "i cant see a chinese guy writing that way. your "voice" does not read chinese male." so then what is a chinese male supposed to sound like? endearing? determined? submissive? nerdy?

should i be offended that i dont sound like a chinese male even though i am one? (seems that way)

am i missing something that makes me an integral part of my culture? making me less than?

it isnt like the comment was, "oh most chinese guys do not have this view" -- where drake's argument about similar cultures/people usually having a similar perspective or opinion on x would be of more use -- but rather that i dont "sound" like one. are chinese guys supposed to be pigeonholed into having one particular voice? should we also assume chinese guys all share this perspective and voice? it's insulting, at least to me, but i could have easily 'read' his statement incorrectly; he tends to write in an inflammatory "voice" that makes me read more negative comments from it than good

getting back to the actual statement at hand: for chrissakes, he's telling a black female that her voice is not black female! this seems intuitively wrong to me on so many levels (id even feel the same way, to a lesser degree, if a black female told another black female this)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 pm

DC - I am OFFENDED you didn't respond to my post.

Clearly this means Harvard admits are douchey/douchie (I can't decide how to spell it).

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

i took it as a racist and offensive comment because...well, who is he to say how black women should be "sounding" like? i wont even get into the group vs. individual part

im asian, so ill have to flip this to my culture to make more sense of it: it is as if i wrote a passage and someone said, "i cant see a chinese guy writing that way. your "voice" does not read chinese male." so then what is a chinese male supposed to sound like? endearing? determined? submissive? nerdy?

should i be offended that i dont sound like a chinese male even though i am one? (seems that way)

am i missing something that makes me an integral part of my culture? making me less than?

clearly!

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm late to this party but people have met slickback right? Cause this just answers itself then....

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 pm

calicocat wrote:I'm late to this party but people have met slickback right? Cause this just answers itself then....

Good point.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:24 pm

crackberry wrote:DC - I am OFFENDED you didn't respond to my post.

Clearly this means Harvard admits are douchey/douchie (I can't decide how to spell it).

oh i didnt because i thought it was fact!

but that isnt a fair fight -- we should compare an aspect of the schools that would not be so tainted by our personal biases: for example, i say "All Stanford's campus are belong to us (Harvard)" because cambridge > palo alto any day of the week (except M-Sun), esp. for someone coming from the sunny south...like me...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”