Is Harvard really this douchie? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mike7174

New

Is Harvard really this douchie?

Post by mike7174 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Just came back from a visit that I had arranged with the admissions office at HLS and I cannot tell you how incredibly douchey/snobby/arrogant the students I met were. I sat in on a class and talked to a few people…they were very nice don’t get me wrong, but they are just HUGE snobs. You could just sense it from the way they talked, walked, everything. They were all like, “I go to Harvard, I’m the shit.” I mean, I expected a little arrogance (it is Harvard Law after all), but this just exceeded my expectations by a mile.

Huge rant, I know, but this was something that concerned me a bit because Harvard was by far my top choice before this visit, but now I’m having second thoughts….Did anyone else get this sense, especially people who went to the ASW?
Last edited by mike7174 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Re: Is Harvard really this douchie?

Post by EijiMiyake » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Eh, I got it from some but not others (including, sadly, from people that I had previously known to be awesome).

I don't think this is going to be substantially different at any of the top schools, FWIW.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:39 pm

maybe it's your perception? We need details.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 pm

mike7174 wrote:Just came back from a visit that I had arranged with the admissions office at HLS and I cannot tell you how incredibly douchey/snobby/arrogant the students I met were. I sat in on a class and talked to a few people…they were very nice don’t get me wrong, but they are just HUGE snobs. You could just sense it from the way they talked, walked, everything. They were all like, “I go to Harvard, I’m the shit.” I mean, I expected a little arrogance (it is Harvard Law after all), but this just exceeded my expectations by a mile.

Huge rant, I know, but this was something that concerned me a bit because Harvard was by far my top choice before this visit, but now I’m having second thoughts….Did anyone else get this sense, especially people who went to the ASW?
go to Stanford
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 pm

mike7174 wrote:Just came back from a visit that I had arranged with the admissions office at HLS and I cannot tell you how incredibly douchey/snobby/arrogant the students I met were. I sat in on a class and talked to a few people…they were very nice don’t get me wrong, but they are just HUGE snobs. You could just sense it from the way they talked, walked, everything. They were all like, “I go to Harvard, I’m the shit.” I mean, I expected a little arrogance (it is Harvard Law after all), but this just exceeded my expectations by a mile.

Go to Stanford or Yale. The students at those schools don't have anything to prove and they are so "above it all". To them, being at an elite school seems to be more par for the course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 pm

uhhh..

1. Go to Harvard
2. Don't hang out with HLS kids
3. ?????
4. Profit

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 am

pleasetryagain wrote:uhhh..

1. Go to Harvard
3. Transfer to Stanford
4. Profit
:idea: :idea:
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:02 am

1. Go to Harvard
3. ?????
4. Profit
Not everybody has hoes in different area codes.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 am

im sry to hear this, but at the same time, i wonder if this will be my experience there as well; yet the thing that worries me the most is just northeasterners being mean -- im from the south and generally everyone is nice and polite down here...my friends' and my own interactions w/ northeners havent led to the same results haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:08 am

Bronte wrote:

1. Go to Harvard
3. ?????
4. Profit
Not everybody has hoes in different area codes.
I lol'd. But seriously, if you don't have friends at other law schools in your city, you're doing it wrong.

Just for the record, not everyone at HLS is like that. I couldn't say for certain whether I know a representative sample, but my friends up there are very cool, thoughtful people.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:14 am

mike7174 wrote:“I go to Harvard, I’m the shit.”
Put them in a room filled with YLS kids and watch 'em quiver. They're not "the" shit, they're just plain old shit.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Put them in a room filled with YLS kids and watch 'em quiver. They're not "the" shit, they're just plain old shit.

"awwww wassamatta?? couldn't get into Yale?"

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:

"awwww wassamatta?? couldn't get into Yale?"
try again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 am

You were having a bit of a culture shock, but you would get used to it (or, most likely, join them).

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 am

i didn't get that impression at all. seemed to be quite a mixed bag of people.

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 am

Just to pile on the H-bomb a little, one of the hiring partners I met during this OCI season actually told me he was tired of interviewing median students from Harvard who walked in the door like their sh*t didn't stink (he put it more politely, but just barely). I also met a bunch of associates who were recent Harvard grads. Some were great, some were douchie. No big surprise. Disclaimer: I go to NYU and didn't apply to Harvard.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Yes
Saw you had the last post ITT, and came to make sure you did exactly what you did. I shouldn't have doubted you brohiem.

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 am

it's been my experience that when I've felt that most of the people around me were offputting, it was me. I don't say this to be facetious. it really was me. I tend to feel this way when I walk into an environment where I'm in the minority. like being the only URM in the class...every class. or coming into a school off the waitlist. for me, it was about needing more self-confidence.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 am

unknownscholar wrote:it's been my experience that when I've felt that most of the people around me were offputting, it was me. I don't say this to be facetious. it really was me. I tend to feel this way when I walk into an environment where I'm in the minority. like being the only URM in the class...every class. or coming into a school off the waitlist. for me, it was about needing more self-confidence.
refreshingly honest, though in OP's case, i actually believe he met a lot of stuck up ppl

not saying HLS is full of them, but im sure they certainly have their fair share -- guess OP was unfortunate enough to only meet the stuck up ones? lol

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
im sry to hear this, but at the same time, i wonder if this will be my experience there as well; yet the thing that worries me the most is just northeasterners being mean -- im from the south and generally everyone is nice and polite down here...my friends' and my own interactions w/ northeners havent led to the same results haha
I can't speak for Harvard. But as for the northeast ... I spend a lot of time in the south, I enjoy my interactions with strangers in the south. Rarely feel the same way about the northeast. People are a lot more laid back, pleasant, cordial, and courteous in the south.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ali & ali

New

Post by ali & ali » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 am

Crazy. I had a very different experience when I visited HLS. What I liked was that there wasn't a tension there about trying to be something else. They know they're not Yale, nor do they really want to be Yale. The kids I talked to mostly seemed really down to earth, ready to share the pluses and minuses of the HLS experience, and surprisingly relaxed about grades and life. Sorry you ran into some douchebags...then again, out of the 1,500 students at HLS, I'm sure you'd find at least a couple of kids that were bearable!

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:23 am

Law students are generally pretty douchey. I have a couple buddies who have become insufferable. And these are kids not even at T14 schools.

Attending law school seems to give some people an inflated sense of self-worth. I think this is most common among direct UG->LS students or kids who graduated college and didn't have a real career job prior to going to LS.

I am sure this is magnified by Harvard law. I bet they probably sniff their own farts.

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 am

ali & ali wrote:Crazy. I had a very different experience when I visited HLS. What I liked was that there wasn't a tension there about trying to be something else. They know they're not Yale, nor do they really want to be Yale. The kids I talked to mostly seemed really down to earth, ready to share the pluses and minuses of the HLS experience, and surprisingly relaxed about grades and life. Sorry you ran into some douchebags...then again, out of the 1,500 students at HLS, I'm sure you'd find at least a couple of kids that were bearable!
they aren't yale...but I mean, they're harvard. lol. #2 isn't too shabby.

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 am

As a foreign friend in the LLM program at H once asked me: "Have you met any JDs who is not a complete tosser?"

IMO H kids are the most insecure breed. People who go to Y and S all got into H, but not everyone who goes to Harvard also got into Stanford and Yale. Put someone from Harvard in a room with a Yalie and the smell of insecurity becomes so thick, you can cut it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”