Cornell or Cardozo for free Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cardozo vs. Cornell

Cardozo w/ guaranteed 3yr full ride
30%
Cornell at Sticker
70%

Total votes: 115

dgb87

New

Cornell or Cardozo for free

Post by dgb87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 pm

Prefer to live in the city, but not sure what to do still. Thoughts?

kommatas

New

Re: Cornell or Cardozo for free

Post by kommatas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Cornell. If it were me, there would be no question. The difference in opportunities and education between the two are too great for financial concerns. Plus graduating from Cornell gives you a better opportunity to land a higher earning job right off the bat and thereby washing the debt you would pile up during your attendance.

goingtolawschool

New

Post by goingtolawschool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:48 pm

Unless you're planning on being poor after law school, go to Cornell.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14 am

I'm shocked ten people voted for 'dozo.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 am

TipTravHoot wrote:I'm shocked ten people voted for 'dozo.
Bozos...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am

Is it worth ~$200,000 to increase your chances of ever landing a big firm job or prestigious PI/Gov work by roughly an order of magnitude?

If yes, Cornell.

If no, Cardozo.

All depends on your goals, but if they are lofty and unspecific, you would be a fool to turn down Cornell - so that was my vote in the poll.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 am

goingtolawschool wrote:Unless you're planning on being poor after law school, go to Cornell.
Are you kidding? Cornell's tuition is ridiculous.

OP, go to Cornell if you want biglaw/prestigious PI work, and if you're comfortable with IBR and Cornell's LRAP. If not, take the free ride.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 am

Cornell.... 'Dozo is Tee-Ball and Cornell is the major leagues.

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Whoaaaaa, I visited Cardozo and almost ran out! Cornell all the way! What's a little bit :wink: of debt for a big-time pay day post-grad (eventually!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 pm

LegalGENius wrote:{obnoxious color tag}Whoaaaaa, I visited Cardozo and almost ran out! Cornell all the way! What's a little bit :wink: of debt for a big-time pay day post-grad (eventually!){/color}
Mother of God. This post and poster really combines it all. What hath TLS wrought?

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:53 pm

disco_barred wrote:
LegalGENius wrote:{obnoxious color tag}Whoaaaaa, I visited Cardozo and almost ran out! Cornell all the way! What's a little bit :wink: of debt for a big-time pay day post-grad (eventually!){/color}
Mother of God. This post and poster really combines it all. What hath TLS wrought?
Okay, so I should just go through life "mad at the world" like you? No thanks!

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:56 pm

i'd take cardozo free ride over cornell because i would just be totally unwilling to live in ithaca for 3 years. i didn't apply to cornell for precisely that reason. OP did apply, so i guess it's not as bad an option for him/her. so i guess i'll vote cornell.

OP- is Fordham in the mix?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:18 pm

hannah87 wrote:i'd take cardozo free ride over cornell because i would just be totally unwilling to live in ithaca for 3 years. i didn't apply to cornell for precisely that reason. OP did apply, so i guess it's not as bad an option for him/her. so i guess i'll vote cornell.

3 years for a lifetime of better opportunity? uh.... thats not rational. I can understand being adverse to paying sticker, but severely diminishing your earning potential because 3 years out of your entire life to live in a city where you will vacate during the summer and while you're there not have much free time anyway is too much of a price is silly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
hannah87 wrote:i'd take cardozo free ride over cornell because i would just be totally unwilling to live in ithaca for 3 years. i didn't apply to cornell for precisely that reason. OP did apply, so i guess it's not as bad an option for him/her. so i guess i'll vote cornell.

3 years for a lifetime of better opportunity? uh.... thats not rational. I can understand being adverse to paying sticker, but severely diminishing your earning potential because 3 years out of your entire life to live in a city where you will vacate during the summer and while you're there not have much free time anyway is too much of a price is silly.
not really. also, i'm married, which complicates things to the nth degree. but i still wouldn't have applied there if i were single. you didn't rule out applications to schools you're just...not interested in?

also, i'm guessing you're not from nyc?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Blindmelon wrote:...to live in a city where you will vacate during the summer and while you're there not have much free time anyway is too much of a price is silly.
[quote="hannah87"

also, i'm guessing you're not from nyc?[/quote]

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Renzo wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:...to live in a city where you will vacate during the summer and while you're there not have much free time anyway is too much of a price is silly.
[quote="hannah87"

also, i'm guessing you're not from nyc?
[/quote]

i don't get it. i'm still not interested in spending 9 months a year in ithaca. just my opinion!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:20 pm

hannah87 wrote: i don't get it. i'm still not interested in spending 9 months a year in ithaca. just my opinion!
I effed up my quotes; I was trying to agree with you. I'd go to Cornell, personally, but Ithaca sucks and Blindmelon's not from NYC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Renzo wrote:
hannah87 wrote: i don't get it. i'm still not interested in spending 9 months a year in ithaca. just my opinion!
I effed up my quotes; I was trying to agree with you. I'd go to Cornell, personally, but Ithaca sucks and Blindmelon's not from NYC.
:) HA ok i get it now! thanks for clearing it up, sir.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Renzo wrote:
Huh? I grew up in NYC, thats exactly why I say Cornell. Cornell has a great name in NYC, Dozo really doesn't. NY is a hard market to succeed in.... I'm at BU so if I wanted to, I could go back to NYC.

Dozo is at best the 20 something-ish best school for NYC. Thats not exactly a good place to be in. All the T14 and most of the T30 would beat it in its own home market.

There has to be an inbetween - why not Fordham?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 am

I'd go with cardozo.

1, nobody knows where the economy will be 3 years from now--there are grads from good schools without jobs--not sure why people believe that going to cornell will be a ticket to great employment 3 yrs from now. truth is, nobody knows.

2, you'll be in the city. I am sure it doesnt completely close the gap, but what you lose in rank you can certainly try to make up with networking.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 am

goosey wrote:I'd go with cardozo.

1, nobody knows where the economy will be 3 years from now--there are grads from good schools without jobs--not sure why people believe that going to cornell will be a ticket to great employment 3 yrs from now. truth is, nobody knows.

2, you'll be in the city. I am sure it doesnt completely close the gap, but what you lose in rank you can certainly try to make up with networking.
#1: Yes, no one knows what the economy will be like in three years. What we do know, however, is that it will continue to be better for Cornell grads than for Cardozo grads, relatively.

#2: This is virtually meaningless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 am

If you're a prestige whore (understandable in this scenario), go to Cornell.

If you're debt averse (understandable in any scenario), go to Cardozo.

Both are good schools and provide access to the New York market, albeit in respectively varying degrees.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:18 am

Cornell

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Huh? I grew up in NYC, thats exactly why I say Cornell. Cornell has a great name in NYC, Dozo really doesn't. NY is a hard market to succeed in.... I'm at BU so if I wanted to, I could go back to NYC.

Dozo is at best the 20 something-ish best school for NYC. Thats not exactly a good place to be in. All the T14 and most of the T30 would beat it in its own home market.

There has to be an inbetween - why not Fordham?
Because Fordham gives out very, very little in merit aid. The cost of attendance at Fordham would probably be comparable, if not higher, than COA at Cornell.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:24 am

Cardozo's like right up the street from NYU. From the outside their building looks pretty nice....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”