American Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cp19

American Law School

Postby cp19 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm considering attending American Law School. Does anyone have any opinions about their overall reputation?

General Tso

Re: American Law School

Postby General Tso » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

it tends to have a negative reputation on TLS

people think it is overrated and located in a saturated market, somethign along the lines of Cardozo

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:35 pm

cp19 wrote:I'm considering attending American Law School. Does anyone have any opinions about their overall reputation?

Search bar will get you way more answers and useful info than you will get in this thread. There is tons of info and opinions on American from previous posters.

cp19

Postby cp19 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
cp19 wrote:I'm considering attending American Law School. Does anyone have any opinions about their overall reputation?

Search bar will get you way more answers and useful info than you will get in this thread. There is tons of info and opinions on American from previous posters.

Thanks for your help. I noticed that opinions tend to be pretty negative too. Any other insight to the reputation and quality of American Law School?

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:00 pm

by "American Law School" do you mean American University, Washington College of Law?

If so, it plays third fiddle in DC after Gtown and GW, has fairly little pull in Maryland and Virginia as each of those states has their own local law schools, and is VERY expensive as they give little to no scholarships.

On the plus side, the suburban location is serene, facilities are decent, and the student body is pleasantly liberal.

Are they offering you anything significant? What is your draw to American U?

cp19

Postby cp19 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:25 pm

monkey85 wrote:by "American Law School" do you mean American University, Washington College of Law?

If so, it plays third fiddle in DC after Gtown and GW, has fairly little pull in Maryland and Virginia as each of those states has their own local law schools, and is VERY expensive as they give little to no scholarships.

On the plus side, the suburban location is serene, facilities are decent, and the student body is pleasantly liberal.

Are they offering you anything significant? What is your draw to American U?

Yes, I'm referring to Washington College of Law. I currently live in Washington, DC and feel like I would have more opportunities available to me as a law student in DC than in other cities. It's also one of the best law schools that has admitted me. No money offers though.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 pm

FWIW from a 0L; from what I've researched I think its a great school with a good reputation, but I could never justify paying sticker to go there when comparing it to my other options and how it holds up in the region against other schools.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Between your three options: Pepperdine, American, and Tulane, I'd probably choose AU. No relocation cost.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”