My turn: OSU or MSU(full) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me decide a school

OSU
62%
MSU (full scholly)
38%

Total votes: 50

TTH

Diamond

Re: My turn: OSU or MSU(full)

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 am

Hey, guess what I'm gonna recommend?

I haven't done any exhaustive analysis, but the C/C/C offices of Jones Day, Baker and Hostetler, Squire Sanders Dempsey, Schottenstein, Vorys Sater, etc have bunches of Moritz grads. Will OSU get you to Chicago or New York? Probably not? Does any other school give you a better shot at BIGOHIOLAW? Also, probably not.

Srsly, though, if you move from Ohio to Michigan, you may qualify for the biggest fail evar award.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Hey, guess what I'm gonna recommend?

I haven't done any exhaustive analysis, but the C/C/C offices of Jones Day, Baker and Hostetler, Squire Sanders Dempsey, Schottenstein, Vorys Sater, etc have bunches of Moritz grads. Will OSU get you to Chicago or New York? Probably not? Does any other school give you a better shot at BIGOHIOLAW? Also, probably not.

Srsly, though, if you move from Ohio to Michigan, you may qualify for the biggest fail evar award.
That is what I have been considering, Trav. I have no desire to work in Chi or NY, at least right out of law school. I def want to stay in Ohio, and maybe Michigan. I agree, OSU gives its grads a better chance oh Ohio BigLaw than anything else.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:45 pm

baboon309 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:[

Also, I have no idea where this clown comes up with this “1k for loan payment every month with 120k debt coming out of law school” thing. That is just absurd. Just run the numbers. 120K /year will leave you with roughly an aggregate interest rate of 8% (with Stafford + gradPLUS). 120K * 8% = $9.6K in interest your first year out of law school alone. I just ran this through my financial calculator and your exact payments on a $120K loan at 8% interest with a 10 year repayment schedule comes out to: $17,883.54 per year.
lol. Now you are talking like a TTT financial advisor. If you wanna learn more about finance, just PM me.
Btw, I was talking about 25 years repayment plan.
Not really. That's the pretty close to the exact annual payments a person with a 120K student debt would be required to make if they want to repay their loans under a typical 10 year repayment. However, one thing I did miss was I didn't count interest for the 3 years. OP's total debt would be closer to $140K at graduation (ballpark #) and the payments would actually be higher.

For a 25 year repayment without IBR, you were probably close with that “1k for loan payment every month with 120k debt coming out of law school” thing. However, that is not a typical repayment at all (I mean who goes to law school with plans to repay their student debt in their 50?), and I'm not completely sure why you wouldn't want to utilize IBR if you were okay with the idea of getting robbed by that interest rate across 25 years. It'd be one thing if you were talking about 2006 federal loans that people managed to consolidate and lock in around 2.5% interest and then doing a 25 year repayment because that's like free money, but at 8% it doesn't make any sense to repay across 25 years, except if you have to because you can't meet your debt obligations (it's possible you could make more then 8% interest across 25 years, but the marginal gains would be so low that this just doesn't make a lot of sense to take on that kind of risk). Additionally, if you are making $70K+ /year (which was your assumption) right out of law school, then it really doesn't make any sense to do a 25 year repayment, which is why I assumed you must have been talking about the 10 year repayment (I guess wrongly I gave you the benefit of the doubt). Just think about how much more money you will have paid across 25 years at 8% interest on a mortgage size loan, which makes absolutely no sense if you are making $70K right out of law school (and presumably around $100K+ within 5-7 years).
sarlis wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Hey, guess what I'm gonna recommend?

That is what I have been considering, Trav. I have no desire to work in Chi or NY, at least right out of law school. I def want to stay in Ohio, and maybe Michigan. I agree, OSU gives its grads a better chance oh Ohio BigLaw than anything else.
It you want to work in Ohio, then OSU would be the best (outside of a national school). Try to get a full-tuition (or close to it) from them.

bleu_dog

New

Post by bleu_dog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Sarlis...I've already shared with you my opinion of MSU vis-a-vis tOSU. Did they discuss the curve with you during your visit? Just reviewed the MSU Law website...read the grading policy but no mention of the first year curve. If the curve is to a 2.5, then a 3.0 GPA is challenging. Should you lose your scholarship, MSU is not cheap.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Sarlis,

I also attended last weekend's Michigan State ASD, and was very impressed about a few things. First, their student body was very friendly and welcoming; second, their facility was very nice; third, the atmosphere in East Lansing is pretty awesome and revolves around MSU (for better or worse). Background: I am from Michigan and had the majority of my friends do UG in EL, so I've made plenty of trips up there.

But as we both expressed in another thread, the main concern about MSU is its career placement. I got this eerie feeling when I was up there that their graduates weren't doing well AT ALL. Most 2Ls and 3Ls said they didn't have offers yet and although I imagine that is common across the board ITE, their career services seemed less than impressive. Did you notice that the highlight of their out of state placement was a giant map? I mean it's great to have alumni across the country but when your most impressive feat is a map, you're in trouble.

I am not too familiar with Ohio, and while I know that tOSU is a great law school (best in state), I also know that Ohio's economy is similar to Michigan's. Combined with the fact that Ohio has three very good law schools (and at least five mediocre ones), and it doesn't make sense to take that risk. Unless attending OSU can guarantee you a great job, it's tough to justify an additional $75K in debt.

Honestly, it's a tough call. I'm sure you're bright enough to do fine at both schools, and it just boils down to a personal preference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks for the great input guys. keep them coming!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 am

sarlis wrote:Thanks for the great input guys. keep them coming!
One or both of us has been involved in every Moritz discussion for the past six months. If you wind up at MSU, I'm gonna be pissed. :P

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
sarlis wrote:Thanks for the great input guys. keep them coming!
One or both of us has been involved in every Moritz discussion for the past six months. If you wind up at MSU, I'm gonna be pissed.
Haha yeah.

And it's looking like tOSU.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 am

To update: I picked OSU!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 am

sarlis wrote:To update: I picked OSU!
Congratulations. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”