Am I Crazy? I Need Input - UVA $$$ vs. Mich $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I choose?

Michigan
72%
Virginia
28%

Total votes: 89

Amelie

Silver

Am I Crazy? I Need Input - UVA $$$ vs. Mich $$

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 am

I'm assuming that the silence from H & S means I'm heading for the WL, so it's about time for me to make a decision. I've narrowed my options down to UVA with $30k per year, and Michigan with $22.5k per year. I've visited both schools, and liked both of them, though Michigan was definitely my favorite. I feel like I should go with the UVA money as it's definitely the cheaper option, but I'm am just drawn to Michigan for some reason, and I'm afraid if I don't go there I'll regret it.

I was equally impressed by the academics at both schools. In terms of location and school feel, I like everything I saw about Michigan, and I think I'd love spending three years in Ann Arbor. I also like UVA and thought C-Ville was a great town, but it seemed a bit too rural for me (I don't like that everything is spread out making a car almost essential). I'm also not sure I'd like living in the South and in a more conservative environment.

I think I want to end up in DC (definitely not NY), or maybe Chicago as a "backup" market. My head's telling my UVA, but my gut feeling is still Michigan.

Any input is appreciated!!

PopCopyManager

New

Re: Am I Crazy? I Need Input - UVA $$$ vs. Mich $$

Post by PopCopyManager » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Amelie wrote:I'm assuming that the silence from H & S means I'm heading for the WL, so it's about time for me to make a decision. I've narrowed my options down to UVA with $30k per year, and Michigan with $22.5k per year. I've visited both schools, and liked both of them, though Michigan was definitely my favorite. I feel like I should go with the UVA money as it's definitely the cheaper option, but I'm am just drawn to Michigan for some reason, and I'm afraid if I don't go there I'll regret it.

I was equally impressed by the academics at both schools. In terms of location and school feel, I like everything I saw about Michigan, and I think I'd love spending three years in Ann Arbor. I also like UVA and thought C-Ville was a great town, but it seemed a bit too rural for me (I don't like that everything is spread out making a car almost essential). I'm also not sure I'd like living in the South and in a more conservative environment.

I think I want to end up in DC (definitely not NY), or maybe Chicago as a "backup" market. My head's telling my UVA, but my gut feeling is still Michigan.

Any input is appreciated!!

Either one would be fine I'm sure. Would you be out of state at both schools?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 pm

I don't think the advantages of UVA (slightly cheaper, debatably a little more access to the D.C. market) are enough to counterbalance your strong preference for Michigan. Go to Ann Arbor, and don't look back!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:02 pm

They're peer schools. UVA places more people in DC, but a lot of this is self selection. Michigan certainly places more in Chicago. There is a cost difference, but it's not a huge difference. I would try to negotiate with Michigan to match UVA's offer, but if you like Michigan more and would be happier there, I can't see why the slight difference in cost should make you pick UVA over Michigan.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:02 pm

If a car is necessary at UVA, the cost of keeping a car softens the scholly difference and cost of living consideration.

That said, though you can probably still get DC out of Mich, you'd have a better shot out of UVA (you already know that). No right answer here, I think. The numbers point to UVA, but much like you, I would rather live in Ann Arbor (never visited either one).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Both are in wonderful places. They were my top two choices as well. Realistically neither has a huge edge over the other.

I am heading to UVA so you ought to take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you are planning on D.C., and as long as that uncomfortable feeling in your stomach is worth getting over for a few grand, then you ought to pick UVA. As long as you don't end up developing a serious case of depression regretting your decision to go to UVA (which would be nearly impossible at such a laid back, pretty, enjoyable place like Charlottesville and UVA law) and damage your performance in school, then UVA takes the cake. If you would perform better at Michigan, then maybe that is the place for you to go.

It sounds like you want Michigan though...

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks for the input so far! I am out of state for both, so no boost either way, there.

And I know that UVA has a slight DC boost, but I wonder if the fact that fewer people go there from Michigan could be beneficial in terms of competition? Plus I'm also under the impression the Michigan still has a bit more prestige among lawyers (especially older ones).

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I say go with your gut. I grew up in Ann Arbor and stuck around and went to undergrad at UofM and absolutely love Ann Arbor. I'm living out west in Arizona and while I do love it here, nothing beats the people and small town (but incredibly progressive) feel of A2. It's a great place to go to school for three years and just about any niche you're looking to get involved with, you can find at Michigan.

Not sure if you're a URM, but if so, even more of a reason to choose Ann Arbor. As a warning: I've never been to Charlottesville, so I'm obviously biased. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 pm

out of curiosity, why did you decide against CLS? Especially since I'd be willing to bet that you'll get some decent money there.
also, with your numbers don't count out sls and hls yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

went to michigan undergrad, going to uva for LS. I did not want to be in michigan another 3 years and it as still a hard choice deciding not to ED to michigan, thats how good and gorgeous the school is. You cannot go wrong here, UVA is a little better for DC and michgian is a little better for chicago. Both are great, the money isnt that much of a difference, if you liked michigan, go there.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:out of curiosity, why did you decide against CLS? Especially since I'd be willing to bet that you'll get some decent money there.
I'm not expecting any money out of CLS, and if I got some that would change things a bit. But I just think I'd be happier at either UVA or Mich, and I do want to limit my debt. However if H or S came calling this discussion would be moot as I'd go there... but I don't think I can handle hoping for it anymore haha

Also re UVA, I posited this question on another board and didn't get much of a response, but I am concerned about it's generally more southern and conservative students. I'm pretty progressive (though not outspoken) and I feel like I'd prefer a more progressive environment. Anyone have thoughts on this?

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

If your LSN is correct, I would take Chicago with $60k in a heartbeat.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:15 pm

gossipgirl wrote:If your LSN is correct, I would take Chicago with $60k in a heartbeat.
Haha I really didn't like Chicago. Hyde Park isn't for me. Plus they have no environmental clinic, which is what I think I want to go into.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Amelie wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:out of curiosity, why did you decide against CLS? Especially since I'd be willing to bet that you'll get some decent money there.
I'm not expecting any money out of CLS, and if I got some that would change things a bit. But I just think I'd be happier at either UVA or Mich, and I do want to limit my debt. However if H or S came calling this discussion would be moot as I'd go there... but I don't think I can handle hoping for it anymore haha

Also re UVA, I posited this question on another board and didn't get much of a response, but I am concerned about it's generally more southern and conservative students. I'm pretty progressive (though not outspoken) and I feel like I'd prefer a more progressive environment. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Ideological diversity, what a scary thing!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:18 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Amelie wrote:

I don't mind diversity, I mean I have a lot of conservative friends. But UVA seems to have a majority... plus there are aspects of southern culture I'm not too fond of.

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Amelie wrote: Also re UVA, I posited this question on another board and didn't get much of a response, but I am concerned about it's generally more southern and conservative students. I'm pretty progressive (though not outspoken) and I feel like I'd prefer a more progressive environment. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I did my BA there and absolutely hated the place. It's like if TNN made a spring break video and that tape was on an infinite loop, except you have to add some caricature of pretentiousness to it, such as people in hideous blazers and huge orange neckties, ludicrous "traditions" people make up so it feels like UVA is an ancient, elite university, and lot of bad music.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:27 pm

don't give up hope on SLS, last year me and a couple of my friends got in mid-April. Admissions is on spring break this week so maybe early April you might hear from them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Puffy wrote:
Amelie wrote: Also re UVA, I posited this question on another board and didn't get much of a response, but I am concerned about it's generally more southern and conservative students. I'm pretty progressive (though not outspoken) and I feel like I'd prefer a more progressive environment. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I did my BA there and absolutely hated the place. It's like if TNN made a spring break video and that tape was on an infinite loop, except you have to add some caricature of pretentiousness to it, such as people in hideous blazers and huge orange neckties, ludicrous "traditions" people make up so it feels like UVA is an ancient, elite university, and lot of bad music.
I have a friend who didn't like it either, I think that's where some of my fear comes from. Plus at a party I was at while there, there were some girls trying wayyy to hard to fit a certain look (or at least that's the way it seemed to me) in their Lily Pulitzer dresses. Idk, it's just something that's been nagging me, and I'm even a somewhat preppy person.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm

legends159 wrote:don't give up hope on SLS, last year me and a couple of my friends got in mid-April. Admissions is on spring break this week so maybe early April you might hear from them.
I'm still too scared to hope :oops: Haha it would be a miracle

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm

I see problems with both the DC advice and the worry about conservatives mindset you have. The big schools are going to attract inteligent people who are willing to move to attend them. They have their own gravitational pull if you will. Sure there may be slight numbers skewed in certain directions, but I think you needn't worry. If you were deciding between Liberty and Wayne State, then yes there is a regional factor at play, as most regional schools draw from their region and not the nation as the T14 do.

Secondly, and very related, both UVA and Michigan will have similar transferability into DC. I'm not a lawyer, but when I do encounter lawyers in DC I can't say I've met one from either UVA or Michigan. Most that I've met are from American, GULC, Harvard and Stanford. Still take that with a grain of salt, I work in lobbying not law.

I am from Michigan and Ann Arbor is a pretty cool place, U of M is gorgeous, but since I haven't seen UVA I don't think I can compare.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I would just like to add that the "conservative" thing for me isn't a huge deal or anything (my whole family is made up of staunch Republicans, and most people who don't know me would probably assume I'm one too)... but simply in the context that Michigan seems a bit more progressive than UVA, I think I may like it more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:35 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
As someone who's spent four years in a place where large numbers of students (and the administration, coincidentally) feel as though the school has a right to discriminate against me and that my "lifestyle"
is likely sending me to hell (and somewhere where sex is treated as though it doesn't exist and gender relations are terrible and strained), I feel comfortable in saying that everyone has a limit to the amount of "diversity" that won't negatively effect his or her educational experience.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Puffy wrote:
Like none of that applies to the law school, you know. And if you can't stand being in the same city as obnoxious undergrads, that rules out most of the T14.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:36 pm

td6624 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
As someone who's spent four years in a place where large numbers of students (and the administration, coincidentally) feel as though the school has a right to discriminate against me and that my "lifestyle"
is likely sending me to hell (and somewhere where sex is treated as though it doesn't exist and gender relations are terrible and strained), I feel comfortable in saying that everyone has a limit to the amount of "diversity" that won't negatively effect his or her educational experience.
Extreme example that I don't think anyone was arguing against...

jakeoooh

New

Post by jakeoooh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:38 pm

I say Michigan. You seem to have a preference for it, and the difference in cost isn't big enough to make UVA a no-brainer. If it was $20 or $30k a year then it'd be obvious to follow the money, but $8k isn't a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. Plus, not that it's worth anything, but I think Michigan has a bit more lay-prestige.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”