Any Baylor Students out there?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HBK

Bronze

Re: Any Baylor Students out there??

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 am

anthonyc350 wrote:To some of the people in here, if you got a full scholarship to a school and still aren't considering it, why waste time applying? JW
Safeties.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 pm

HBK wrote:
anthonyc350 wrote:To some of the people in here, if you got a full scholarship to a school and still aren't considering it, why waste time applying? JW
Safeties.
Exactly.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm

The area that U of H is in is no worse than Waco. Baylor does an excellent job with PR to convince people otherwise.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Bustang wrote:The area that U of H is in is no worse than Waco. Baylor does an excellent job with PR to convince people otherwise.
Why did you even go to Baylor if you hate it so much?

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm

I think you have to be a certain type of person to like Baylor Law. A friend of mine is going there on a full ride. He was so excited about going to law school beforehand. Ive talked to him recently and he said his life is hell. He hates Baylor with a passion. His classes are full of busy work and the students are straight mean, hide books, steal and throw-out peoples notes, lie about everything, etc. The job prospects are decent if you are ranked high in the class, but if you graduate in the bottom 50% you will have a very tuff time.

If you have a full ride and think you would like that atmosphere, go for it. I just cant understand working that hard for a degree that is worth so little.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:I think you have to be a certain type of person to like Baylor Law. A friend of mine is going there on a full ride. He was so excited about going to law school beforehand. Ive talked to him recently and he said his life is hell. He hates Baylor with a passion. His classes are full of busy work and the students are straight mean, hide books, steal and throw-out peoples notes, lie about everything, etc. The job prospects are decent if you are ranked high in the class, but if you graduate in the bottom 50% you will have a very tuff time.

If you have a full ride and think you would like that atmosphere, go for it. I just cant understand working that hard for a degree that is worth so little.

See I have heard things like that as well. But, I have also talked to people who say they have never experienced anything like that at all. Competitiveness, yes, but nothing to that extreme at all. So, who knows.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

The saying "where there's smoke there's fire" encapsulates Baylor law school.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 am

da87 wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote:I think you have to be a certain type of person to like Baylor Law. A friend of mine is going there on a full ride. He was so excited about going to law school beforehand. Ive talked to him recently and he said his life is hell. He hates Baylor with a passion. His classes are full of busy work and the students are straight mean, hide books, steal and throw-out peoples notes, lie about everything, etc. The job prospects are decent if you are ranked high in the class, but if you graduate in the bottom 50% you will have a very tuff time.

See I have heard things like that as well. But, I have also talked to people who say they have never experienced anything like that at all. Competitiveness, yes, but nothing to that extreme at all. So, who knows.
I'm starting to think that da87 is Baylor adcomm. Either that or he/she's just been drinking the koolaid.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 am

HBK wrote:
da87 wrote:

I'm starting to think that da87 is Baylor adcomm. Either that or he/she's just been drinking the koolaid.
I'm thinking the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:14 pm

colemf wrote:
HBK wrote:
da87 wrote:

Ha, not at all. I'm in undergrad at Baylor, and I don't even know if I want to go to law school at Baylor, which I clearly stated in my previous posts. In all my posts I never said "yes, go to Baylor, all the rumors are lies". All I have simply stated are things that other people (Baylor law students and grads) have told me and things I have heard. I have heard both the bad things and the good things about Baylor Law -- just trying to give everyone all of the information that I have acquired, and state that the best decision is for one to choose the best law school for them individually depending on their situation.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm

da87 wrote:
colemf wrote:
HBK wrote: I'm starting to think that da87 is Baylor adcomm. Either that or he/she's just been drinking the koolaid.
Ha, not at all. I'm in undergrad at Baylor, and I don't even know if I want to go to law school at Baylor, which I clearly stated in my previous posts. In all my posts I never said "yes, go to Baylor, all the rumors are lies". All I have simply stated are things that other people (Baylor law students and grads) have told me and things I have heard. I have heard both the bad things and the good things about Baylor Law -- just trying to give everyone all of the information that I have acquired, and state that the best decision is for one to choose the best law school for them individually depending on their situation.
That sounds exactly like what a admissions staffer would say if they were pretending to be a 0L.

Like a poster said above, where there's smoke, there's fire. There are too many negatives about Baylor to outweigh any positives (if there are any). Unless they're giving out a full ride + stipend, Baylor shouldn't even be a blip on the radar. I was very interested in Baylor when I started school shopping. I liked the idea that they produce "turn key attorneys," and I was not afraid of their reputation for hard work. However, the more I met with them, and the more Baylor grads I spoke with, the more dissuaded I was to go there. Former grads have told me that it was a huge mistake to go to Baylor, and to avoid that place at all costs. I've only met one a Baylor grad who was happy with his decision. He graduated in the nineties.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

HBK wrote:
da87 wrote:
colemf wrote:
HBK wrote: I'm starting to think that da87 is Baylor adcomm. Either that or he/she's just been drinking the koolaid.
That sounds exactly like what a admissions staffer would say if they were pretending to be a 0L.
Like a poster said above, where there's smoke, there's fire. There are too many negatives about Baylor to outweigh any positives (if there are any). Unless they're giving out a full ride + stipend, Baylor shouldn't even be a blip on the radar. I was very interested in Baylor when I started school shopping. I liked the idea that they produce "turn key attorneys," and I was not afraid of their reputation for hard work. However, the more I met with them, and the more Baylor grads I spoke with, the more dissuaded I was to go there. Former grads have told me that it was a huge mistake to go to Baylor, and to avoid that place at all costs. I've only met one a Baylor grad who was happy with his decision. He graduated in the nineties.

Really? Then why would I be posting on the SMU thread about hoping they release regular decisions soon, and why did I say to someone earlier in this thread that UofH would probably be a better option? I'm not an adcomm.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm thinking the same thing.[/quote]

Ha, not at all. I'm in undergrad at Baylor, and I don't even know if I want to go to law school at Baylor, which I clearly stated in my previous posts. In all my posts I never said "yes, go to Baylor, all the rumors are lies". All I have simply stated are things that other people (Baylor law students and grads) have told me and things I have heard. I have heard both the bad things and the good things about Baylor Law -- just trying to give everyone all of the information that I have acquired, and state that the best decision is for one to choose the best law school for them individually depending on their situation.[/quote]

Like a poster said above, where there's smoke, there's fire. There are too many negatives about Baylor to outweigh any positives (if there are any). Unless they're giving out a full ride + stipend, Baylor shouldn't even be a blip on the radar. I was very interested in Baylor when I started school shopping. I liked the idea that they produce "turn key attorneys," and I was not afraid of their reputation for hard work. However, the more I met with them, and the more Baylor grads I spoke with, the more dissuaded I was to go there. Former grads have told me that it was a huge mistake to go to Baylor, and to avoid that place at all costs. I've only met one a Baylor grad who was happy with his decision. He graduated in the nineties.[/quote]

Really? Then why would I be posting on the SMU thread about hoping they release regular decisions soon, and why did I say to someone earlier in this thread that UofH would probably be a better option? I'm not an adcomm.[/quote]

Thats exactly what an adcomm woud say.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 pm

colemf wrote:I'm thinking the same thing.
Ha, not at all. I'm in undergrad at Baylor, and I don't even know if I want to go to law school at Baylor, which I clearly stated in my previous posts. In all my posts I never said "yes, go to Baylor, all the rumors are lies". All I have simply stated are things that other people (Baylor law students and grads) have told me and things I have heard. I have heard both the bad things and the good things about Baylor Law -- just trying to give everyone all of the information that I have acquired, and state that the best decision is for one to choose the best law school for them individually depending on their situation.[/quote]

Like a poster said above, where there's smoke, there's fire. There are too many negatives about Baylor to outweigh any positives (if there are any). Unless they're giving out a full ride + stipend, Baylor shouldn't even be a blip on the radar. I was very interested in Baylor when I started school shopping. I liked the idea that they produce "turn key attorneys," and I was not afraid of their reputation for hard work. However, the more I met with them, and the more Baylor grads I spoke with, the more dissuaded I was to go there. Former grads have told me that it was a huge mistake to go to Baylor, and to avoid that place at all costs. I've only met one a Baylor grad who was happy with his decision. He graduated in the nineties.[/quote]

Really? Then why would I be posting on the SMU thread about hoping they release regular decisions soon, and why did I say to someone earlier in this thread that UofH would probably be a better option? I'm not an adcomm.[/quote]

Thats exactly what an adcomm woud say.[/quote]

Oh my gosh, you people are so annoying.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh my gosh, you people are so annoying.[/quote]

What do you mean by "you people"?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 pm

Being from TX, UH is much more highly regarded in terms of BigLaw job placements, but I do know of one baylor law alum that loved it and placed well.

That being said, there is a reason why they strive so hard to be so different from any other law school via their trimester system and emphasis placed on practicality and litigation, and that is because they are basically terrible at everything else.

Waco is also one of the worst places to be in TX, IMO as a Texas res. and a frequent visitor to Waco.

I would choose Wake Forest out of your list. If you are a big dude, maybe UH but it's a pretty rough area as well (and high COL if you want to live somewhere nice).

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

colemf wrote:Really? Then why would I be posting on the SMU thread about hoping they release regular decisions soon, and why did I say to someone earlier in this thread that UofH would probably be a better option? I'm not an adcomm.

What do you mean by "you people"?[/quote]

Those of you claiming I am a Baylor adcomm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 pm

pugalicious wrote:Off topic, but about UofH (I'm accepted but not from Texas), is it really in the worst part of town?

No, not the worst, but bad. It is the largest commuter school in the country for a reason. Rice/ Bellaire neighborhood is reasonably close by- if you have a car and can afford to live in that neighborhood, I would recommend it. U of H has taken steps to make the area more safe I've heard, but Houston is houston is houston. There's only so much clean-up they can do. Just be smart and don't take your surroundings for granted. Leave your fancy purse at home and leave the campus at a reasonable hour.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Off topic, but about UofH (I'm accepted but not from Texas), is it really in the worst part of town?

No, not the worst, but bad. It is the largest commuter school in the country for a reason. Rice/ Bellaire neighborhood is reasonably close by- if you have a car and can afford to live in that neighborhood, I would recommend it. U of H has taken steps to make the area more safe I've heard, but Houston is houston is houston. There's only so much clean-up they can do. Just be smart and don't take your surroundings for granted. Leave your fancy purse at home and leave the campus at a reasonable hour.
Yes, there is a certain area around Rice where a lot of grad students live that go to UofH. One of my friends lives there that is attending dental school. It's a new area with a lot of young people, restaurants and shopping. I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of it is, but I will try to find out.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm

colemf wrote:I am in the exact same situation, full ride offer from baylor but accepted to several other schools including UofH, its will be hard to turn down money but i just can't see myself living in Waco for 3 years in that atmosphere, plus if im already living in Houston(assuming i go to UofH) i wont have to move for summer internships, and i just looked up the previous US News ranking, Baylor has recently been dropping while Uof H has been steadly rising. I just dont know if i can throw money away, but on the other hand with the 2.5 req. keeping the scholly is by no means a sure thing.

Isnt the median 2.5 or something??

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:20 pm

This page has massive quote fail.

Also, leraa6587 is bang-on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:39 pm

colemf wrote:Really? Then why would I be posting on the SMU thread about hoping they release regular decisions soon, and why did I say to someone earlier in this thread that UofH would probably be a better option? I'm not an adcomm.

What do you mean by "you people"?[/quote]

I never thought a Baylor adcomm would be so blatantly racist. I guess thats where the "slave driver" mentality of the faculty comes from.

kew

New

Post by kew » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:40 pm

Haha I thanks for all the replies! I didn't notice so many people have been responding. I've been talking to a lot of baylor students the last few days and they all seem to have good things to say (granted they are the student ambassadors). Baylor knows how to give a show...
I'm still waiting on a few schools and just received an email yesterday that I'm in at Tulane with a scholarship although I doubt very much.
Is UH really in that rough of area? Everyone told me to be careful but it didn't seem that bad to me. Obviously I would probably live around rice, I really liked that area anyway when I visited. But would I have to worry about my safety??

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm

kew wrote:Haha I thanks for all the replies! I didn't notice so many people have been responding. I've been talking to a lot of baylor students the last few days and they all seem to have good things to say (granted they are the student ambassadors). Baylor knows how to give a show...
I'm still waiting on a few schools and just received an email yesterday that I'm in at Tulane with a scholarship although I doubt very much.
Is UH really in that rough of area? Everyone told me to be careful but it didn't seem that bad to me. Obviously I would probably live around rice, I really liked that area anyway when I visited. But would I have to worry about my safety??
My friend, who I spoke about before, that lives near Rice and attends the dental school loves the area she is in and UofH. She said considering she lives outside of the "bad" area, it's not bad at all. As long as you don't walk around campus alone late at night and things like that, I don't think you'll have a problem.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 am

kew wrote:Haha I thanks for all the replies! I didn't notice so many people have been responding. I've been talking to a lot of baylor students the last few days and they all seem to have good things to say (granted they are the student ambassadors). Baylor knows how to give a show...

You are exactly right about their "show"!! When I toured for UG, we were on a bus the whole time and they didn't mention safety once. When my dad (yeah whatev I was 17) asked about the area, the girl did a great job of avoiding the subject.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”