UVA v. GULC $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

UVA
54%
GULC
46%

Total votes: 106

legalease9

Re: UVA v. GULC $$

Postby legalease9 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Georgetown. Take the money.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks Gil!

Last bump before heading to GULC later this week.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:55 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Also being black means you've got an easier chance getting a firm job even if you fuck up.

OR DOES IT???

:shock: It doesn't?!

This...with more faces.

DEKOCARDS

Postby DEKOCARDS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I had to make the identical decision two years ago and I chose GULC. I'm really glad I did. The facilities are great, faculty is great, and the size is fine with me. One thing rarely mentioned on these boards is that with a bigger student body comes greater options for courses, clubs, and clinics. UVA gives you a bit more safety in the middle of the class, but my thinking was that the scholarship more than makes up for that difference, also after coming to DC, with every internship possible available to you, you may find that you don't even want to follow the Big Law route (I honestly think that makes for part of the disparity in placement at the NLJ250). Still, tough decision, I really like UVA.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:47 pm

beef wellington wrote:Wow you make Georgetown sound great. Are you focused on PI? I have some questions I'd like to PM you if you wouldn't mind.

I really like it here :) I'm 50/50 on PI. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. PM me anytime.

Postby 270910 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Pre-ITE, georgetown no question.

ITE, you really don't want to be the GT grad who struck out that might have had a chance from UVA. Worth ~80K? Hard to say.

If you wind up top of your class at either school, you'll be set and the slight prestige difference won't matter.

Visit Georgetown, then follow instinct is my best advice.

p.s. - have you factored in CoL? I'd imagine Capitol Hill is more spendy than Cville, and if you don't live on Capitol Hill the commute will throw a wrench into QoL decisions.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:41 pm

disco_barred wrote:I'd imagine Capitol Hill is more spendy than Cville, and if you don't live on Capitol Hill the commute will throw a wrench into QoL decisions.

While I am absolutely sure plenty of Georgetown people live in Capitol Hill, no one I know personally does. We have a fantastic metro system that stretches out as far as Maryland and Northern Virginia. Anywhere off of the red line is easiest, but I live off the yellow/green lines, and metroing to campus takes about 30 minutes and costs under $3. There's also a circulator bus that hits the most populous neighborhoods (it's more convenient for people in certain 'hoods). I live in Columbia Heights, as do many other 1Ls in my section... other popular neighborhoods are Dupont Circle on the pricier side, Adams Morgan and Cleveland Park on the more modestly priced side, and Silver Spring (MD) and Arlington (VA) at the cheapest end (but still very easy via metro).

I should be clear, however: DC is much more expensive than Charlottesville. I just wouldn't have been able to live in Charlottesville during grad school without going absolutely stir crazy.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:44 pm

$200k is waaay too much debt to get into, IMO. I mean, before the market crashed, at least you would have job security with a t-14 degree and that might justify taking ranking over cost. Right now, even t-14 students are not guaranteed 150k jobs. It will take a LONG time to pay back that 200k loan, especially without a high paying job. I don't konw about you, but I have a 10k car loan right now and just wish I could get it over with asap. I can't imagine the pressure of 200k on my back. But I'm extremely debt averse, and 120k is really not that much better than 200k. Nevertheless, I think when it comes to choosing from schools within the same ranking range, less debt is always better.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Leaving for DC tomorrow. Hopefully I have a clearer picture when I get back.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:57 pm

D Brooks wrote:Leaving for DC tomorrow. Hopefully I have a clearer picture when I get back.

Give the thread a bump when you get back and let us know what you think!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Georgetown's ASW wasn't as good as UVA's IMO, but I since I have so many friends in DC I was worried about seeing them all and skipped out on some of the GULC events so it's mostly my fault.

Anyway, the good aspects of the weekend were that it completely reminded me about everything I love about GULC: numerous courses/clinics, great profs and adjuncts, countless opportunities available in DC, being in DC, etc.

I told myself at the beginning of the cycle that I'd only pay sticker for HYSCC. Right now I'm thinking about sticking with that promise.

Anyone else want to chime in or convince me to do otherwise?

Edit: If I accept the GULC $$ I have to withdraw from all other schools meaning I can't wait for Chicago's (my number 1) WL to start moving.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 pm

BUMP!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”