Idaho

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
General Tso

Re: Idaho

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am

So you guys are saying that 50-70k is a lock out of Idaho?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 am

davipatr wrote:
Stats don't back this up. Just look at any large firm in Boise and compare the number of grads from those two schools, doesn't matter if you are talking about partners or associates. U of I owns it. It is actually really encouraging since I am in with a decen scholy at U of I and waitlisted at BYU

I never said BYU places more students in positions in Idaho. I said BYU could place better almost every time. Most BYU students don't want to practice in Idaho. It's no secret that it's about a thousand times harder to get into BYU then it is U of I or that the school is better. I'm not saying you can't go to U of I and be successful, just that U of I shouldn't be your first choice. Unless of course you're thinking about going into politics in Idaho, then maybe (just maybe) U of I would give you the advantage.

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Torvon wrote:
davipatr wrote:
Stats don't back this up. Just look at any large firm in Boise and compare the number of grads from those two schools, doesn't matter if you are talking about partners or associates. U of I owns it. It is actually really encouraging since I am in with a decen scholy at U of I and waitlisted at BYU

I never said BYU places more students in positions in Idaho. I said BYU could place better almost every time. Most BYU students don't want to practice in Idaho. It's no secret that it's about a thousand times harder to get into BYU then it is U of I or that the school is better. I'm not saying you can't go to U of I and be successful, just that U of I shouldn't be your first choice. Unless of course you're thinking about going into politics in Idaho, then maybe (just maybe) U of I would give you the advantage.

I am thinking about politics which makes me consider Idaho very seriously, because that seems to be the path. Even if I don't go that way though, I was just saying that it is not necessarily true that a BYU grad would win a job over an Idaho grad in Idaho. The Idaho grad would likely have experience clerking more relevant to the Idaho Legal scene, which is insulated, and would more likely have formed useful connections which can be just as influential as anything else if not more so. Weigh in the fact that so many partners are U of I grads, and would therefore have a higher likelihood of being responsible for hiring (more chances of this being the case), and there you are. BYU does not definitely trump U of I in Idaho.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”