Idaho Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deadpanic

Silver

Idaho

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Probably a long shot, but are there any current/future law students at Idaho? Or even some residents of Idaho that can give me some insight on Moscow, the law school, and the legal market?

I've withdrawn pretty much everywhere sans a few schools, which includes Idaho. I can't bring myself to do it (trying to schedule a visit). I know Idaho isn't exactly a huge legal market, but I would be pretty content working 35-40 hours a week and spending the rest of my time being a trout bum on the river.

Puffy

New

Re: Idaho

Post by Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Can you ask Idaho to get you in touch with one of their current students?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:02 am

:idea:

shaville

New

Post by shaville » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:43 am

Boise has a few relatively large firms (75+ lawyers). Most of the firms hire from regional schools like Idaho - but also from Gonzaga, Utah, and BYU. Your job prospects aren't good unless you graduate high in your class.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 am

shaville wrote:Boise has a few relatively large firms (75+ lawyers). Most of the firms hire from regional schools like Idaho - but also from Gonzaga, Utah, and BYU. Your job prospects aren't good unless you graduate high in your class.
What if you graduate top 1/3 or median? I wouldn't mind doing DUI cases if it meant a livable wage + wearing waders in a river on the weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 am

deadpanic wrote:
shaville wrote:Boise has a few relatively large firms (75+ lawyers). Most of the firms hire from regional schools like Idaho - but also from Gonzaga, Utah, and BYU. Your job prospects aren't good unless you graduate high in your class.
What if you graduate top 1/3 or median? I wouldn't mind doing DUI cases if it meant a livable wage + wearing waders in a river on the weekend.
If all you're after is a paycheck and are o.k. with a pretty dang small one, I think Idaho could be a could option for you. If you wanted to keep COL low while working at a small firm and being near nature, you could hit up any number of smaller towns like Lewistion, for example.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 am

Having grown up in Idaho I can tell you there are many reasons not to study law in Idaho. The major reason is the size of the market, there is not many jobs in the state for lawyers. If you do just want to work in the public sector I would say you would have to hit top 1/3 as there are many who go elsewhere for law school then decide they want the lifestyle you discussed and come back. So if you make top third I would say you will be able to find something in state. Otherwise schools like Utah, BYU, and Gonzaga will out do you.

Idaho is a wonderful place to live if you are into the outdoors. Winters can suck but that depends on where you live and how much you hate the wind as it blows (literally) everyday. I grew up on the other side of the state, but have been to Moscow a few times having no real impression on the town as a whole. It seems like another small Idaho community to me. The further North you go in the panhandle the weirder things get as the panhandle of Idaho is infamous for crappy weather and white supremacy.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks for everyone's insight. Definitely seems like a pretty tough market.
Padimud wrote:The further North you go in the panhandle the weirder things get as the panhandle of Idaho is infamous for crappy weather and white supremacy.
Now that I think about it, that sounds right. Everytime I am watching Court TV and they have some white supremists on the run, it is always starts off: "Post Falls, a small town in the Northwest corner of Idaho. These neo-nazi's have been stockpiling dynamite, grenades..."

Or substitute a town in WA state, Montana or Utah.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:35 am

All I can say is if you do attend, look for a job in Boise or SouthEastern Idaho (where people are normal and equality runs true).

If you have options such as Gonzaga or another school in that region, I would take those over U of Idaho...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 am

Padimud wrote:If you have options such as Gonzaga or another school in that region, I would take those over U of Idaho...
I didn't really apply to any others in the region. I liked Idaho because it is inexpensive and I got scholarship $. Thought about Montana for the same reason but ended up not applying.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:09 pm

I can tell you this much: even for people that are originally from Idaho and plan on practicing in Idaho, the U of I is not a choice, it's a lack of options.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Gonzaga over U of I is a ridiculous statement. Gonzaga has no more "pull" than U of I and is TONS more expensive. Plus, the entire city is one big ghetto.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Have you ever been to Moscow . . . aka. One little ghetto.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Padimud wrote:Have you ever been to Moscow . . . aka. One little ghetto.
Have I ever been........I'm gonna have to think about that one.

Moscow is extremely convenient and very college student friendly. WSU is right down the street so there are basically all the stores you need right in the middle on the highway in between the schools. Everything is within walking distance and there is an extensive bike/running/walking trail that stretches on for 20 miles. The COL is cheap and the size of apartment you can get would amaze most people. It is a close knit community and you cannot go to the store without seeing at least like 3 people you know.

Basically, you can walk down the street without a high probability of being acosted by homeless people, robbed, shot, or stepping on a drug needle.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:50 pm

A'nold wrote:
Have I ever been........I'm gonna have to think about that one.

Moscow is extremely convenient and very college student friendly. WSU is right down the street so there are basically all the stores you need right in the middle on the highway in between the schools. Everything is within walking distance and there is an extensive bike/running/walking trail that stretches on for 20 miles. The COL is cheap and the size of apartment you can get would amaze most people. It is a close knit community and you cannot go to the store without seeing at least like 3 people you know.

Basically, you can walk down the street without a high probability of being acosted by homeless people, robbed, shot, or stepping on a drug needle.
Lol. True that. I was just trying to say that being from Idaho, I would never attend the U of I under any circumstances. Idaho is a very communal place. I love it there, just would never go to law school in Moscow.

fandango

New

Post by fandango » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Padimud wrote:Having grown up in Idaho I can tell you there are many reasons not to study law in Idaho. The major reason is the size of the market, there is not many jobs in the state for lawyers. If you do just want to work in the public sector I would say you would have to hit top 1/3 as there are many who go elsewhere for law school then decide they want the lifestyle you discussed and come back. So if you make top third I would say you will be able to find something in state. Otherwise schools like Utah, BYU, and Gonzaga will out do you.

Idaho is a wonderful place to live if you are into the outdoors. Winters can suck but that depends on where you live and how much you hate the wind as it blows (literally) everyday. I grew up on the other side of the state, but have been to Moscow a few times having no real impression on the town as a whole. It seems like another small Idaho community to me. The further North you go in the panhandle the weirder things get as the panhandle of Idaho is infamous for crappy weather and white supremacy.
No, Gonzaga does not trump Idaho in Idaho. Nor does it trump Montana in Montana. F-ing LOL. BYU, Utah, UW will give you the edge over a UI grad in Idaho, but Gonzaga will not. Most people in the Northwest, regardless of region within the region, regard Gonzaga as a pretentious tool factory. Admission standards are not high. It's just more expensive than any in state in the region. Oregon Law grads seem to do well in Idaho. No, I'm not a lawyer in Idaho, but I know many, and I've lived in a few Northwest cities. Sorry, but no on Gonzaga. Gonzaga dominates in Spokane, and takes a back seat everywhere else. Sorry to bash on Gonzaga, but GU isn't in the same league as Utah, BYU and UW. Not even close.

Lawyerwannabe18

New

Post by Lawyerwannabe18 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Moscow is a cute little town. The U of I campus isnt bad. Everything you need is within walking distance. If your really into the outdoors then Idaho may be the place for you. I know a few U of I grads that have done well in small practices in eastern washington. Although from what I hear its hard to do much out of idaho. I wouldnt attend if you want to make any sort of serious $$. If your into the social and party scene then U of I is okay, and party central WSU is only about 8 miles away.

I would visit and check it out before weighing your options

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Thought I would give my .02 since i went to U of I for my undergrad. I personally loved the 4 years that I spent there. If you are into anything outdoors youll feel right at home and there are tons of things that you can do close by. Most of the posters have been right about the job opportunities after law school; you will be mostly restricted to Idaho upon graduation. With that being said most U of I grads are very devout alums so take advantage of any and every opportunity to network while you are there and hopefully it will open up a job opportunity after graduation.

fandango

New

Post by fandango » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

No, Moscow is not one little ghetto. It's actually rather hip compared to the rest of Idaho and all of Utah. Pullman is cool as well. Only 8 miles away. Moscow is the only liberal leaning pocket in Idaho and there is little crime. It's also very clean. Spokane is run down and there is a decent amount of crime. The only cool thing about Spokane is that it is 20 minutes from Coeur d' Alene, Idaho.

You mentioned Gonzaga twice in this thread, and you are giving this guy bad information. GU does well in Eastern Washington but is second, third, or fourth everywhere else.

T14 will beat Idaho in Idaho, for sure. As will a UW grad, a Utah grad, or a BYU grad in many cases, but not always.

TaiRuiJin

New

Post by TaiRuiJin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm from Idaho and have spoken with a lot of attorneys in Idaho and U of I grads. I applied to U of I with a 165/4 combo because U of I has a lock on a lot of firms and with a lot of the judges. There is an "old boys" type atmosphere. I spoke with one recent grad (not from U of I) who interviewed for a clerkship with the Idaho Supreme Court, and he was told that though they did grant him an interview, they only hire clerks from the U of I. Further, many of the attorneys practicing here are U of I alum, and they want their firm to remain that way. Aside from the big firms that may be looking for grads from more competitive programs, small boutiques and many government jobs are available for a U of I grad. The major caveat however is that your law degree limits you to Idaho. Period. Not only do you need to be okay with being a trout bum and making 50-70K, you need to realize that may be all you can do for a while. But the old boys club is also functioning in our government, and eventually your U of I degree could help you get into public office.

Summary: U of I limits choices outside of Idaho, but you will have sweet access to the old boys club that shouldn't be overlooked. Good luck.

PS. I won't be attending though I was accepted.

fandango

New

Post by fandango » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:46 pm

TaiRuiJin wrote:I'm from Idaho and have spoken with a lot of attorneys in Idaho and U of I grads. I applied to U of I with a 165/4 combo because U of I has a lock on a lot of firms and with a lot of the judges. There is an "old boys" type atmosphere. I spoke with one recent grad (not from U of I) who interviewed for a clerkship with the Idaho Supreme Court, and he was told that though they did grant him an interview, they only hire clerks from the U of I. Further, many of the attorneys practicing here are U of I alum, and they want their firm to remain that way. Aside from the big firms that may be looking for grads from more competitive programs, small boutiques and many government jobs are available for a U of I grad. The major caveat however is that your law degree limits you to Idaho. Period. Not only do you need to be okay with being a trout bum and making 50-70K, you need to realize that may be all you can do for a while. But the old boys club is also functioning in our government, and eventually your U of I degree could help you get into public office.

Summary: U of I limits choices outside of Idaho, but you will have sweet access to the old boys club that shouldn't be overlooked. Good luck.

+1

I have a friend who graduated top 10 in his class from U of I law and he works for a solid boutique firm in Boise. He's 8 years out of law school and he has a 911, a Harley, a house in the cool part of Boise (the North End), and a condo in Sun Valley. You can do well in Idaho as a UI law grad. I didn't apply there because I don't want to live there.

Throw a late app at Montana and see what they say. You never know. If they offer you in-state, maybe you should take it. Montana grads are even more loyal to each other, and pretty much only T14 trumps Montana in Montana. Lower T1 (including UW, Utah and BYU) means d!ck in Montana.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm

TaiRuiJin wrote:I'm from Idaho and have spoken with a lot of attorneys in Idaho and U of I grads. I applied to U of I with a 165/4 combo because U of I has a lock on a lot of firms and with a lot of the judges. There is an "old boys" type atmosphere. I spoke with one recent grad (not from U of I) who interviewed for a clerkship with the Idaho Supreme Court, and he was told that though they did grant him an interview, they only hire clerks from the U of I. Further, many of the attorneys practicing here are U of I alum, and they want their firm to remain that way. Aside from the big firms that may be looking for grads from more competitive programs, small boutiques and many government jobs are available for a U of I grad. The major caveat however is that your law degree limits you to Idaho. Period. Not only do you need to be okay with being a trout bum and making 50-70K, you need to realize that may be all you can do for a while. But the old boys club is also functioning in our government, and eventually your U of I degree could help you get into public office.

This is pretty good info, except for the 50-70k and the locked in Idaho thing. Anyone who performs top 5-10% of any class will have options. The only strong alumni base is obviously in Idaho, but look at any big firm you want to in Boise (Holland and Hart) and you will see that U of I owns the industry in Idaho. Period. Those firms do not interview at any other school almost ever. My wife's uncle is a U of I alumn, is a millionaire and currently Wells Fargo's in house attorney for bankrupcy. He told me to drop his name with the dean for a better scholarship. Idaho alumns take care of each other. Big time. The satellite campus which is running now in Boise is obviously the only game in town, so basically U of I grads will have their pick of the jobs they want. Everyone else gets leftovers

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:34 am

davipatr wrote:

This is pretty good info, except for the 50-70k and the locked in Idaho thing. Anyone who performs top 5-10% of any class will have options. The only strong alumni base is obviously in Idaho, but look at any big firm you want to in Boise (Holland and Hart) and you will see that U of I owns the industry in Idaho. Period. Those firms do not interview at any other school almost ever. My wife's uncle is a U of I alumn, is a millionaire and currently Wells Fargo's in house attorney for bankrupcy. He told me to drop his name with the dean for a better scholarship. Idaho alumns take care of each other. Big time. The satellite campus which is running now in Boise is obviously the only game in town, so basically U of I grads will have their pick of the jobs they want. Everyone else gets leftovers
Even if you want to practice in Idaho, the U of I is not your best option. BYU, for example, will place you in a better position almost every time.

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Torvon wrote:
davipatr wrote:

Even if you want to practice in Idaho, the U of I is not your best option. BYU, for example, will place you in a better position almost every time.
Stats don't back this up. Just look at any large firm in Boise and compare the number of grads from those two schools, doesn't matter if you are talking about partners or associates. U of I owns it. It is actually really encouraging since I am in with a decen scholy at U of I and waitlisted at BYU

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 am

Padimud wrote:The further North you go in the panhandle the weirder things get as the panhandle of Idaho is infamous for crappy weather and white supremacy.
I took my kids to Silverwood (theme park in northern - ID). This is no shit, standing in line with my girls, who are mix of Asian and Cracker, with my sister. This mouth-breathing neanderthal is staring at my girls, then looking at me, then my sister -- this wen back-in-forth for a few minutes.....I knew what was coming next. He asks if the girls are my kids. I said yes, of course. Incredibly, he asks, "why are they so brown?" I calming replied that my wife is "brown." All he said was... "Whaaaaat?" To his credit, five minutes later, he did realize what he just said and apologized.

Do a search on "Southern Poverty Law Clinic" and "Idaho" and "Butler".

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”