What Would You Do?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Rutgers
52%
UMiami
19%
Villanova
5%
Seton Hall
14%
Notre Dame - ride the waitlist
10%

Total votes: 21

msv5010

What Would You Do?

Postby msv5010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I started one of these earlier in the year but I want to try this again. I'm having serious trouble picking a school to attend, so any thoughts will help. Here are the schools I am considering:

Rutgers (instate, 8k/year scholarship renewable with a 3.0)
UMiami (23k/year scholarship renewable with a 3.2)
Villanova (10k/year scholarship renewable with a 3.25)
Seton Hall (25k/year scholarship renewable top half of class)
Notre Dame (Waitlist- Ride it out?)

I understand all these schools may be considered regional but I have no preference as to location after law school. I will be paying for law school on my own and I hope to keep my debt as low as possible or at least get the most bang for my buck.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Great Satchmo

Re: What Would You Do?

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

I don't understand how people can really have no preference for location...

But, if in fact you truly don't care, go to the school that is the cheapest with the best, relatively, job opportunities in the region.

As far as waiting out the waitlist - well, you can commit to another school and just make the change if ND ends up working out.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

I chose Rutgers but I would personally reapply next year with a better LSAT score if I were in your unenviable position.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Sorry, to be more specific, my permanent residence is in NJ but I also have a place in South Florida. So really only ND would be a completely new region anyway.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 pm

msv5010 wrote:
I understand all these schools may be considered regional but I have no preference as to location after law school. I will be paying for law school on my own and I hope to keep my debt as low as possible or at least get the most bang for my buck.

I would go for the least amount of debt, after visiting a ton of schools in tier 2 and bottom of tier 1, they all seem the same, just regional, so go for cheapest (or warm weather haha)

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Haha I currently attend Penn State so there are few things more enticing than warm weather.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:12 am

horriblegb wrote:
msv5010 wrote:

I would go for the least amount of debt, after visiting a ton of schools in tier 2 and bottom of tier 1, they all seem the same, just regional, so go for cheapest (or warm weather haha)

+1

But otherwise, out of the options, I guess Rutgers since they are close to some major markets. Yeah I know Miami is a major market too and its warmer, so fuck maybe Miami. Flip a coin.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:17 am

Miami is better than TLS would let you believe. I'm not saying it is awesome, but you'll find a 60-80k a year job upon graduation, and in florida--thats some legit $

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am

Cupidity wrote:Miami is better than TLS would let you believe. I'm not saying it is awesome, but you'll find a 60-80k a year job upon graduation, and in florida--thats some legit $

I heard the Florida market is pretty bad right now, doesn't mean it will be real bad in 3 or 4 years though. Also sticker at Miami is a little high, along with the cost of living near campus. However I doubt its anymore than Rutgers unless you get in state tuition there. I'd rather live in Miami but I don't know how Rutgers places. I didn't apply and look into Rutgers because its in a cold climate that I don't want to live in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”