UF or Wake Forest

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or Wake

University of Florida
53%
Wake Forest
47%

Total votes: 30

kickincane21

UF or Wake Forest

Postby kickincane21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:00 pm

So I've been attempting to narrow down my school choices...and thanks to no money from GMU or American have for the most part narrowed it down to UF or Wake with room for 1 more depending scholarship negotiations.

Without going into specific numbers, other than I'm a Florida resident, UF would cost me about $8,000 less per year assuming I keep their scholarship which is a 3.2 if I recall correctly.

I'm sure everyone is going to say it depends where you want to practice, so lets assume I'm not sure. I know UF places great in FL and as a resident thats a plus, but I'm worried if I decide later to work somewhere else on the east coast that Wake provides slightly more mobility.

In general what are everyones thoughts on these two schools and is one a clear favorite, or not really?

Nicholasnickynic

Re: UF or Wake Forest

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:32 pm

can you give us the cost for each school?

For instance, is it 30k total vs 54k total?

Or is it 81k total v 105k total?

That makes a big difference in picking a school.

Most people would probably say 51k is a good price for a school. However, many would say that 105k is too much.

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:53 am

3 Years at UF will be roughly $30K and 3 years at Wake will be $54K, both of these figures are assuming I retain my current scholarships and that I don't receive any new ones. They are also for tuition only, cost of living seems pretty equivalent at both places.

I posted this yesterday before leaving work hoping it would help guide my decision and today when I check-in the poll is dead even 5-5 haha.

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Bump...

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 pm

The prices are pretty even, and I think that Wake has a better national reach than UF (though both are obviously regional). FWIW I grew up in New York, undergrad in St Louis, lived in south Florida for 5 years after college, and have lived in NC for almost 3 years after leaving Florida, and my experiences is that in terms of lay-prestige in these places Wake is better regarded than UF. I know that UF places well in Florida, but (at least in south Florida) it isn't viewed as a super-elite school (unlike UNC which people within Carolina place on par with the ivies).

In addition, because of the small size and massive endowment, I think that Wake probably has more resources to help you with your job search if you decide you want to go out of state (though again NC is by far your best bet from Wake). I tend to imagine that the benefit to a decent (read not t20) state school extends mainly within that state whereas a decent private school will usually have graduates who matriculate from a larger geographic base and thus extend that benefit further out.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I would say UF in this case. It is a sure thing that you will have in-state tuition for all 3 years, even if you lose your scholarship. So you would be looking at minimal debt. If you lost your scholarship at Wake Forest, well, that wouldn't be good at all.

Wake may have a bit more mobility, but I wouldn't say it has that much more. With UF you could probably still work in GA, SC, or other states in the Southeast without much problem, especially with a little experience. Wake may be a bit better for VA/DC/Mid-atlantic, but I just don't think its mobility is so much better that you need to risk going deep into debt.

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:17 pm

I would also say UF (not because I'm attending). But really, these are two similarly ranked schools. UF places better in FL, Wake places better in NC, and both place similar numbers every else. Neither is a national school, but both have ok placement in Atl, DC, and NYC. And both have massive alumni networks. So it's gotta be all about price, special programs you're interested in, or where you want to live.

P.S. If you want to do tax or corporate law, then you should definitely choose UF.

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Thank you all for your prompt and thorough responses. As far as losing the scholarship at Wake, I only have to keep top 2/3rds of class which I'm not saying is guaranteed, but if i fall into the bottom 1/3 I have greater problems than just scholarship concerns. I'm actually more worried about keeping the UF scholarship which requires above a 3.2 (I'm not sure how that compares), but it sounds harder. If I lose the UF scholarship the difference between the 2 schools is only $2,000 a year.

Anyway, I visited UF this past week for the admit students day and just wasn't too reassured. I'm going to try to arrange a visit to Wake this week for the ASD and hope I am convinced one way or another at that point.

You all make valid points and I understand its a hard decision without knowing exactly where or what I want to practice but i'm honestly not sure. I like international/entertainment&sports/ and corporate law at this point without any significant knowledge of what they entail.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:50 pm

jakeoooh wrote:The prices are pretty even, and I think that Wake has a better national reach than UF (though both are obviously regional). FWIW I grew up in New York, undergrad in St Louis, lived in south Florida for 5 years after college, and have lived in NC for almost 3 years after leaving Florida, and my experiences is that in terms of lay-prestige in these places Wake is better regarded than UF. I know that UF places well in Florida, but (at least in south Florida) it isn't viewed as a super-elite school (unlike UNC which people within Carolina place on par with the ivies).

Lay prestige doesn't mean jack as far as getting jobs, unfortunately, as lay people don't give you the jobs. Do not let this influence what school you will go to.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:52 pm

OP, if you want to stay in FL, go to UF. If you want to leave, go with Wake (though it's not gonna take you far from NC). Simple as that.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Wake's mobility.

After looking at numbers and talking to the admissions director at wake, this is what I believe to be the real deal on wake's range.

If you want to work in N.C., its the best choice other than Duke (WakeForest employment numbers this year >unc).

That being said, Wake forest can also set you up in Georgia, Virginia, or New York. However, you are probably better off attending a school in those states. Also, I imagine its easier to get a job in Va or Georgia out of Wake than it is to get one in NY. Most likely, the wake Grads going to NY were at the top of thier class.

So, Wake's "national" placement is NC, Va, Georgia (3 state placement is VERY good considering wake's Rank, but its not some ticket all across america). Admissions officers will try to convice you Wake can take you anywhere in the Southeast, but realisitically its NC, Va, and Georgia.

*phew*

Hope that wasn't too repetitive/confusing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”