UVA $$ vs. NYU $ for CA Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA 75k or NYU 25k for California biglaw?

UVA 75k
71%
NYU 25k
29%

Total votes: 49

MY FILES!

UVA $$ vs. NYU $ for CA Biglaw

Postby MY FILES! » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Received 75k at UVA (not to mention in-state tuition) and 25k at NYU. My parents are also willing to chip in for small, incidental expenses on the condition that I choose UVA.

I'm afraid of debt, but equally afraid that UVA's California biglaw placement can't rival NYU's. How does the West Coast view each of these schools? Also, is my fear of the heavier NYU debt burden really justified if I'm just going to end up in biglaw anyway?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

EDIT: Here's some math:
NYU: 70k/yr X 3 yrs = 210k - 25k = 185k
UVA: 58k/yr X 3 yrs = 174k - 75k = 99k

Borhas

Re: UVA $$ vs. NYU $ for CA Biglaw

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:02 pm

conventional wisdom says it's unwise to think you are going land in big law anyway. Don't know about CA placement, but isn't UVa supposed to be one of those national level schools or something?

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:09 pm

No idea how UVA Law is viewed by California lawyers, but as a UVA alum in CA I can tell you that, among the general populace (or actually even among academics and graduate students), no one has any idea what UVA is. Don't know how relevant my anecdotal evidence for non-law school prestige would be for you, but there it is.

MY FILES!

Postby MY FILES! » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Puffy wrote:No idea how UVA Law is viewed by California lawyers, but as a UVA alum in CA I can tell you that, among the general populace (or actually even among academics and graduate students), no one has any idea what UVA is. Don't know how relevant my anecdotal evidence for non-law school prestige would be for you, but there it is.

Ugh, that's exactly what I was worried about. I was sort of leaning toward UVA before, but if saving 100 grand will also cost me a biglaw career in my location of choice, then the decision becomes much more difficult...

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:51 pm

MY FILES! wrote:
Puffy wrote:No idea how UVA Law is viewed by California lawyers, but as a UVA alum in CA I can tell you that, among the general populace (or actually even among academics and graduate students), no one has any idea what UVA is. Don't know how relevant my anecdotal evidence for non-law school prestige would be for you, but there it is.

Ugh, that's exactly what I was worried about. I was sort of leaning toward UVA before, but if saving 100 grand will also cost me a biglaw career in my location of choice, then the decision becomes much more difficult...

Don't let an anecdote about lay prestige on TLS make up your mind for you.

The legal community =/= academia or grad students. UVA places well in California. Lawyers know which schools are the good ones. Does it place as well as NYU? That's a more difficult question. Is any placement difference offset by the fact that you're getting more money? Even more difficult. But don't answer these questions with the presumption that so-and-so layperson in California isn't impressed by UVA and therefore law firms don't seek to hire UVA grades. Because they do. (And, an aside: west coast laypeople are about as indifferent to NYU as they are to UVA.)

If you have the grades necessary for BigLaw anywhere, and a decent enough link to California, you will likely be able to return.
Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Your math is a little off. UVA is $63,000 a year all-in...So the three-year total is $189,000. (Unless the difference is what your parents will chip in).

Still, with a $75k scholly, that's a great deal.

Really, I would compare the OCI list -- see which California firms come and, if possible, find out how the students have fared in getting callbacks and offers.

MY FILES!

Postby MY FILES! » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:10 pm

scribelaw wrote:Your math is a little off. UVA is $63,000 a year all-in...So the three-year total is $189,000. (Unless the difference is what your parents will chip in).

Still, with a $75k scholly, that's a great deal.

Really, I would compare the OCI list -- see which California firms come and, if possible, find out how the students have fared in getting callbacks and offers.

Nah, it's 58k for in-state (I'm a Virginia resident). http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm

Good call on the OCI list, though. I think it's about time I called up the UVA Law career services office.

All of this assumes that I can overcome having no true "link" to California - which seems pretty important, as JSUVA2012 points out - but I hope to start remedying that little resume blemish this summer by getting a job out there.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Do you have any other preferences? Have you visited both and do you like one more than the other?

MY FILES!

Postby MY FILES! » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:21 pm

los blancos wrote:Do you have any other preferences? Have you visited both and do you like one more than the other?

Nah, haven't visited either - attending the NYU ASW this upcoming weekend, and UVA's the next (though NYU wants my first deposit before then, which seems a little tricky). I know they're culturally dissimilar - liberals, artisans and activists at one, moderate/conservative fratty types at the other (sorry for the gross overgeneralizations) - but I'd have no problem adjusting to either. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm

This is a link I've seen before that's moderately useful. Extremely small sample and outdated since it's 5 years old but it's something.

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/student ... w/data.htm

I've looked at medium-big law firm websites for offices/firms in Cali and NYU grads seem much more prevalent than UVA grads, but not sure if this is self-selection or what. My general view from reading what's on this site and links on this site along with general law school books is that the top 6 schools are truly national while it's a little bit tougher with the rest of the top 14 to tell. You would be sacrificing if you want CA biglaw and go to UVA, but how much you sacrifice is unclear.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm

MY FILES! wrote:
los blancos wrote:Do you have any other preferences? Have you visited both and do you like one more than the other?

Nah, haven't visited either - attending the NYU ASW this upcoming weekend, and UVA's the next (though NYU wants my first deposit before then, which seems a little tricky). I know they're culturally dissimilar - liberals, artisans and activists at one, moderate/conservative fratty types at the other (sorry for the gross overgeneralizations) - but I'd have no problem adjusting to either. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

UVA is not that great if you are not into stuff like natural light, professional sports, and games involving the frisbee. There is one dominant culture and very little goes on outside of it.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Puffy wrote:
MY FILES! wrote:

UVA is not that great if you are not into stuff like natural light, professional sports, and games involving the frisbee. There is one dominant culture and very little goes on outside of it.

WTF are you talking about? I've never seen a single game of frisbee played here. And by natural light I'm assuming you mean the great climate. And by professional sports you surely must mean "college sports."

Wow, you know a lot about us. :roll:

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Outside of New York, NYU and UVA's reputation is pretty much equal. The money is nice at UVA but it's not so significant either. If you visit both schools and like NYU more, go there. However, your ability to get a biglaw job in California is about the same.

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Outside of New York City, there isn't a big difference between NYU and UVA. But the one place that there might be is California. NYU places very well there (over a tenth of NYU grads go there directly after law school), especially among elite California firms. At the same time, I'm not sure the difference in California placement is enough to justify the price difference given your respective scholarship offers. I would definitely recommend going to both schools and checking them out because they have two very different atmospheres.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”