Boston v. Boston v. Boston

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which to attend?

Suffolk (full tuition, stay in the top 50%)
15%
NESL (full tuition, maintain a 3.0)
2%
Northeastern ($25,500 over 3 years)
15%
Hold out for sticker at BU/BC
68%

Total votes: 47

blerg

Boston v. Boston v. Boston

Postby blerg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I love Boston and want to practice here.

I'm leaning towards Suffolk for their alumni base. I haven't heard anything from BU or BC, but I'm reasonably within their range (3.6/166).

Edited to add that I'm terrified of debt, my parents aren't helping me at all, and I'm sitting on minimal UG debt ($4K).

darknightbegins

Re: Boston v. Boston v. Boston

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Fuck man Boston? Well glad some people can deal with those winters. For Boston go for BC or BU or go home. There is plenty of competition in that market with some pretty to very good schools. I wouldn't be willing to go into that kind of market unless I had some nice cred at my back. The schools you listed don't provide the cred I'm talking about either.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:45 pm

I would hold out for BU or BC. Those two schools seem to dominate that market, with all the other schools such as Suffolk, Northeastern, and New England Law left to pick up the scraps. Both BU and BC seem to have great things going for them, BU with its supposedly amazing faculty, and BC with its reputation as the "Disneyland" of law schools for their very collegial environment.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

dakatz wrote:I would hold out for BU or BC. Those two schools seem to dominate that market, with all the other schools such as Suffolk, Northeastern, and New England Law left to pick up the scraps. Both BU and BC seem to have great things going for them, BU with its supposedly amazing faculty, and BC with its reputation as the "Disneyland" of law schools for their very collegial environment.

I heard from a friend that lived in Boston all his life that New England Law was a toilet.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm

dakatz wrote:I would hold out for BU or BC. Those two schools seem to dominate that market, with all the other schools such as Suffolk, Northeastern, and New England Law left to pick up the scraps. Both BU and BC seem to have great things going for them, BU with its supposedly amazing faculty, and BC with its reputation as the "Disneyland" of law schools for their very collegial environment.

+1

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 pm

tram988 wrote:

+1

+2. It's true.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 pm

With those numbers, I think you stand a good shot at one of the 2 (BU/BC) - even if its off the WL. Either of which would be great - good luck!

vebode01

Postby vebode01 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I had the same decision to make (minus NESL and plus about 70k UG debt), I just got 15k/year from BC and have decided on going there. Overall I think the BC/BU reputations and prospects outweigh the ride from Suffolk or NESL tenfold.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I have the same scholarships to suffolk and northeastern (didn't apply to NESL) and I've been put on the BC waitlist. I'm going to try to use my network to get into BC but we'll see how that works out. If I get in, I'm going BC; if not Suffolk vs. Northeastern with those scholarships would be an interesting decision.

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 pm

I work for a big Boston firm. If you want to work in Boston there is no reason to pay sticker at a school. NONE. If you would like to leave Boston at some point then go to BU/BC.....Do well at Suffolk and you will have a great Network and less debt! Dont listen to the TLSers who do not know the Boston Market.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:09 pm

mailmanstalker wrote:I work for a big Boston firm. If you want to work in Boston there is no reason to pay sticker at a school. NONE. If you would like to leave Boston at some point then go to BU/BC.....Do well at Suffolk and you will have a great Network and less debt! Dont listen to the TLSers who do not know the Boston Market.

Yes if you do well (top 5-10%).

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I would wait for BU/BC if you think there's a shot of getting in before the deadlines. Otherwise, I think between NEU/NESL/Suffolk, with those $$ amounts, I would personally take Suffolk, unless you really want to work in PI (which is NEU's strong suit). Suffolk has a strong alumni network in Boston and, I think, will give you slightly better access to a wider variety of potential jobs when you graduate, providing you do well. Plus you have a full ride. I wouldn't consider NESL if you have other options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”