Can Emory Sustain its Current Ranking?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Can Emory Sustain its Current Ranking?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I was looking at a "Best Graduate Schools" US NEWS edition from 2006 this past weekend and was rather surprised to see Emory was ranked 32nd. I remember way back when I was applying to UG, Emory was ranked well for UG, and it has been ranked as high as 9th, so its current UG ranking of 17 is a bit of a slip from its high.

Emory has a good endowment. Has Emory just been throwing money at applicants to raise numbers and climb the Law Rankings the past four years, or has the school's reputation also increased recently?

With Atlanta a rapidly growing city and huge center of commerce and travel, I personally would like to think of Emory as an institution poised to become a main player in the 21st century, given the strength of its UG, Law, and Med. Do others feel like it is a "school of the future" that can maintain its ranking if not slowly inch up, or do people feel it could very easily be ranked in the 30s three years from now?

UFMatt

Re: Can Emory Sustain its Current Ranking?

Postby UFMatt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm

That was a one year aberration:

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_school_rankings__1987_1999
http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_school_rankings__2000_present

Emory should be able to retain its current ranking. Looking at LSN for this cycle, there is a wall at 166 whereas in the past few years it was 165. Before that 164. A clear upward trend.

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:04 pm

They started at 23.5 and slowly fell, except for one year, to a low point and then rose rapidly, so I am not sure I view it as an aberration but more like a J-curve. I guess another way of phrasing the question would be: have they hit their high point or could they continue to rise? Are they a school that can consistently produce a ranking result, or will they continue to fluctuate in significant ways? The interview on TLS suggests they have climbed faster in the top 30 than all but one school over the last few years, and there is a noticeable ascension in terms of numbers.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:13 pm

I know the dean of admissions well. He says (like all other schools no doubt) that Emory is intent on moving up. He recognizes the T14 wall but they have a goal of T16 w/in 4 years. Emory has managed better than a lot of other schools in the recession, which may poise it to continue to rise. Current numbers aside, faculty continually mention how the quality of students has increased tremendously over the past 5 years.

Please take this post with a grain of salt. I am at Emory and my information comes from those with some form of relationship to the school.

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm

I would like to believe it, though. When you look just outside the T14, you see schools like Vanderbilt and UCLA that have held strong over time. When looking at other schools that fluctuate dramatically, I wonder if Emory can become another permanent fixture. The endowment and nature of Atlanta's position in the future of our country seem to suggest the answer could be yes, but who knows?
Last edited by twintipping_bumps on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 pm

It had a rapid rise in the rankings, but NLJ250 hiring has lagged behind schools ranked lower. Keep that in mind.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Atlanta's supposed rise have such an influence on Emory's position relative to its peers?

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Well right now I am torn apart by the 50k cost differential over three years between Tulane and Emory. Is that one a no-brainer? It seems like I would have much better prospects during summers and upon graduation at Emory. I think Tulane will always have a great reputation, but I wonder if Emory is going to really make itself known in the future.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:24 pm

rad law wrote:It had a rapid rise in the rankings, but NLJ250 hiring has lagged behind schools ranked lower. Keep that in mind.

true. But don't forget that the nature of atlanta legal market is not within the NLJ250 criteria as much as schools like BU, which have been previously compared. Not to mention, the stats everyone is looking at are meaningless. No one has seen the real toll taken on biglaw hiring w/in the NLJ250 as those were stats from the class of 2009 (which saw deferrals). The real classes killed by the hiring were 2010/11.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:Well right now I am torn apart by the 50k cost differential over three years between Tulane and Emory. Is that one a no-brainer? It seems like I would have much better prospects during summers and upon graduation at Emory. I think Tulane will always have a great reputation, but I wonder if Emory is going to really make itself known in the future.

Isn't Emory's reputation much much better than Tulane's even now?

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Puffy wrote:Just out of curiosity, why do you think Atlanta's supposed rise have such an influence on Emory's position relative to its peers?

Atlanta seems to be a city on the rise with a large number of fortune 500 companies there as well as an increasing stake on the national stage, so if that translates into greater and more lucrative job prospects for graduates, then I would think that would translate into greater prestige compared to schools in markets that deteriorate or remain stagnant.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm

rando wrote:
rad law wrote:It had a rapid rise in the rankings, but NLJ250 hiring has lagged behind schools ranked lower. Keep that in mind.

true. But don't forget that the nature of atlanta legal market is not within the NLJ250 criteria as much as schools like BU, which have been previously compared. Not to mention, the stats everyone is looking at are meaningless. No one has seen the real toll taken on biglaw hiring w/in the NLJ250 as those were stats from the class of 2009 (which saw deferrals). The real classes killed by the hiring were 2010/11.

Also true.

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Puffy wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:Well right now I am torn apart by the 50k cost differential over three years between Tulane and Emory. Is that one a no-brainer? It seems like I would have much better prospects during summers and upon graduation at Emory. I think Tulane will always have a great reputation, but I wonder if Emory is going to really make itself known in the future.

To me and the well-educated people I know, yes. To most people I encounter and people in social circumstances, not so much. As only a second generation college graduate, those things come into play when thinking about the future of my family.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Not if UGA continues to give Emory a run for its money in terms of employment prospects and lower tuition.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:36 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:To me and the well-educated people I know, yes. To most people I encounter and people in social circumstances, not so much. As only a second generation college graduate, those things come into play when thinking about the future of my family.

This reputation Tulane is supposed to have among regular folks is all new to me, and I grew up in the South (Virginia, the southern part not NOVA). I guess Virginians are more about UVA and Vandy.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Not if UGA continues to give Emory a run for its money in terms of employment prospects and lower tuition.

If you want to work in GA sure, but outside, I'd take Emory any day, not for full price though. Also, that letter UGA's Dean sent out begging firms to hire their grads is not a good sign.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm

rad law wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Not if UGA continues to give Emory a run for its money in terms of employment prospects and lower tuition.

If you want to work in GA sure, but outside, I'd take Emory any day, not for full price though. Also, that letter UGA's Dean sent out begging firms to hire their grads is not a good sign.

Well, in terms of national placement, you're correct. I was speaking mainly from the perspective of an in-state applicant.

However, while Emory is better for national placement, one must admit that it struggles placing students nationally---and you'll be hard pressed to find Emory grads out west, in the midwest or even up north (save NY---barely).

rando

Postby rando » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:
Puffy wrote:

To me and the well-educated people I know, yes. To most people I encounter and people in social circumstances, not so much. As only a second generation college graduate, those things come into play when thinking about the future of my family.

OP: Promise me that you will not make a law school decision on either;
1 - Emory's possible rise in future reputation
2 - Uneducated people's reactions in social circumstances

rando

Postby rando » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
rad law wrote:

Well, in terms of national placement, you're correct. I was speaking mainly from the perspective of an in-state applicant.

However, while Emory is better for national placement, one must admit that it struggles placing students nationally---and you'll be hard pressed to find Emory grads out west, in the midwest or even up north (save NY---barely).

Anecdotal - I know several people working in LA this summer. I interviewed at several well respected firms in SoCal. At one, the two people across the table were Emory Grads. Hiring partner + junior partner. Not perfect evidence, not hard pressed either.
BTW, NY is not barely. FWIW.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:47 pm

I tend to look at Emory in a group of schools that are the really strong regional schools. I think there is a good chance that 19-25 or so will fluctuate pretty often from year to year for the forseeable future, with WUSTL, Emory, BU, Minnesota, Illinois, Notre Dame, GW among that group. These are schools that place best in their respective regions and have some national reach, but not too much. I don't see any of these schools passing USC for 18, or dropping below 25 either. If you're choosing among these schools, it's got to be a regional decision and a financial decision.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
rad law wrote:

Also anecdotal - the people I know have jobs in Chicago, NYC and ATL.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

rando wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
rad law wrote:

Anecdotal - I know several people working in LA this summer. I interviewed at several well respected firms in SoCal. At one, the two people across the table were Emory Grads. Hiring partner + junior partner. Not perfect evidence, not hard pressed either.
BTW, NY is not barely. FWIW.

How does Emory place in NY? I'm curious to know because I've heard it has struggled in NY. Even students from there have told me. But I ask in all sincerity and interest.

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

rando wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:
Puffy wrote:

OP: Promise me that you will not make a law school decision on either;
1 - Emory's possible rise in future reputation
2 - Uneducated people's reactions in social circumstances

I wish I could make that promise, but I went to a UG and Grad Program that both were really good and have done me well but get sort of odd responses when mentioned. Emory, to me in New England, is like a Pomona: if you are aware of schools you know it is great; otherwise, you have never heard of it. Tulane, on the other hand, has the popular culture references and New Orleans mystique. So while I am leaning towards making my decision based on job prospects, where Emory wins, my previous experiences leave me somewhat hesitant.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 pm

because the previous experiences you mention have gotten you jobs i presume

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Yes, but I'm not yet where I want to be.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”