UVA$$ vs. NYU$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

UVA $$
53%
NYU $
47%

Total votes: 32

wackjickham

UVA$$ vs. NYU$

Postby wackjickham » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:09 pm

$25,000 + in state at UVA all 3 years, plus decreased cost of living
$10,000 1L and 2L and $5,000 3L year at NYU (upgraded to $10,000 if summer job earns me < $15,000

I'm leaning towards UVA currently, but I have this giant urge to get out of Virginia as I've lived here my entire life. The cost of attendance would end up being about 80k-90k higher at NYU over all 3 years. I've asked NYU to reconsider my scholarship based on UVA's but am anticipating a no answer. I don't really care much where I practice, but I'd like to be in the private sector. I'm not Vault T10 or bust, I just want a good job.

I know there are a billion of these threads out there but what would you do? I feel like I may never forgive myself for not taking the opportunity to go to NYU, but then again I also feel like ITE having less debt would make more sense if I wasn't dead set on NYC Biglaw.

Thoughts?
Last edited by wackjickham on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Re: UVA$$ vs. NYU$

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:19 pm

wackjickham wrote:$25,000 + in state at UVA all 3 years, plus decreased cost of living
$10,000 1L and 2L and $5,000 3L year at NYU (upgraded to $10,000 if summer job earns me < $15,000

I'm leaning towards UVA currently, but I have this giant urge to get out of Virginia as I've lived here my entire life. The cost of attendance would end up being about 80k-90k higher at NYU over all 3 years. I've asked NYU to reconsider my scholarship based on UVA's but am anticipating a no answer. I don't really care much where I practice, but I'd like to be in the private sector. I'm not Vault T10 or bust, I just want a good job.
I know there are a billion of these threads out there but what would you do? I feel like I may never forgive myself for not taking the opportunity to go to NYU, but then again I also feel like ITE having less debt would make more sense if I wasn't dead set on NYC Biglaw.

Thoughts?

These two things seem to indicate that UVA would be the best choice for you. Unless you really crave living in NYC (on an indebted law student's budget, mind you), then I don't see another reason to choose NYU, especially since you aren't dead-set on public interest work.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:26 pm

i'd say UVA but if you really want to get out of VA then go enjoy NYC for 3 years

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

A lot of people say they want to go to law school straight through from undergrad because they know they probably wouldn't be able to go back.

I'm kind of the same way about getting out of Virginia. I'm worried if I don't do it now, I'll never be able to. On the other hand, its hard to turn down 75k in this economy just to do something that I might be able to do in three years anyway.

I'm visiting NYU this week so we'll see how that goes as well. I've already visited, but I basically just wandered around, but was still very impressed. I'm looking forward to the admitted students day events.

Any more advice is more than appreciated!

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:20 pm

I think that taking into account the huge cost difference, and your indecision over where you want to practice, UVA is the right choice. It will still give you a degree of portability, either throughout the south, or to DC or NYC if you so desired. In addition, you'll be less of an indebted servant to big-law at graduation, which opens your options up a lot more.

Plus, as thickfreakness said, if you go to NYU you'll be living on a student budget in a really expensive place. Now I love NYC- I try to visit twice a year, and will never acknowledge anyplace else as 'the city,' when referred to in those terms. However, to really take advantage of the the place, you need coin. Restaurants, clubs, bars, gallery openings, etc etc, are all pricey. There's lots of free stuff to do also, but so much of the city is going to be closed off to you on a student budget. I say take UVA and try to get a job up in NYC after your second year. That way the firm will wine-and-dine you around, and you'll get a foot out of the Virginia door.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks for your help everyone, having other law students to talk through this with is really helpful as opposed to mostly lay-people. Any other thoughts are more than appreciated.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 am

I said NYU just because it would be a great chance for you to experience new things, especially if you lived in Virginia all your life. With that said, if you are debt averse, take UVA. It is hard to say no to that much money without forgoing long-term career prospects.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”