Trying to pick a school- looking for suggestions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cp19

Trying to pick a school- looking for suggestions

Postby cp19 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:52 am

I'm trying to decide between Pepperdine, American, and Tulane. Any suggestions??

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Re: Trying to pick a school- looking for suggestions

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 am

Have you visited all of them?

Any $$ included?

Career preferences?

Region preference?

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 am

cp19 wrote:I'm trying to decide between Pepperdine, American, and Tulane. Any suggestions??

ALL THINGS EQUAL, I'd personally choose American. But thats only because I grew up in Tenleytown, the neighborhood where American exists.

It is unlikely that all things are equal though... care to share more information about your choices? Like your preferences, $$ given, what you want to do after graduation?

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:59 am

cp19 wrote:I'm trying to decide between Pepperdine, American, and Tulane. Any suggestions??

These are very different schools with very different regional strengths.

It all depends on what you want to do with your degree, financial situation, regional preference, personal likes and dislikes, and what you want to get out of your experience in law school. Consider what really interests you and look at the school's focus. Are you uncertain about what and where you want to practice? Go to the school that you think will offer the most comprehensive experience and broadest placement after graduation.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

cp19

Postby cp19 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 am

I'm most interested in Business Law. I received $15k per year at Tulane if I maintain a 3.0 or higher gpa. I'm not sure where I want to practice. Any opinions on which school has the best national reach or employment prospects?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 am

cp19 wrote:I'm most interested in Business Law. I received $15k per year at Tulane if I maintain a 3.0 or higher gpa. I'm not sure where I want to practice. Any opinions on which school has the best national reach or employment prospects?

i would pick american myself with those choices. Or maybe Pepperdine. American will do you well in DC but not many other places. Pepperdine is extremely regional as is Tulane.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

I'd say Tulane, because of the scholarship. I also know a law grad from Tulane who makes $600k per year doing bankruptcy law in NYC, so maybe I am biased.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
cp19 wrote:I'm most interested in Business Law. I received $15k per year at Tulane if I maintain a 3.0 or higher gpa. I'm not sure where I want to practice. Any opinions on which school has the best national reach or employment prospects?

i would pick american myself with those choices. Or maybe Pepperdine. American will do you well in DC but not many other places. Pepperdine is extremely regional as is Tulane.

I don't agree with this at all. American at sticker at around 40K/year or Tulane, a better & more portable degree, at about 25K/year, if you maintain the scholarship. Even if you lose the scholarship, it is going to be the same price as American.

Best national reach of those is Tulane and it is the cheapest. This decision should be easy.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

Tulane, because of cost.

awr

Postby awr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am

I am in a similar boat (Tulane with $, AU or Loyola Law School), and am interested in this discussion. I have already visited Tulane and AU and am heading to LLS in a few weeks. For what its worth, I am currently leaning towards AU over Tulane. I just feel that students at AU may have more opportunities available to them than students at Tulane, but I am definitely having problems turning down Tulane's offer.

As for Pepperdine, I do not think that it is a better choice than either Tulane or AU for national reach. Pepperdine (or LLS in my case) is a pretty good regional school with a solid reputation in its own market, but not really beyond that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”