T2 PA/NJ Schools.. Help! (Nova, Temple, RU)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where do I put in my deposit while waiting on Temple?

RU-Camden
60%
Villanova (sticker, or maybe 5-10k$ tops, still working on getting some money)
40%
Syracuse (30k scholly)
No votes

Total votes: 5

beach_terror

T2 PA/NJ Schools.. Help! (Nova, Temple, RU)

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:44 am

So, my cycle is basically over, minus hearing from waitlists. I'm on a list for $ at Villanova, and I'll be getting in-state tuition for Temple assuming I get in. I don't have biglaw aspirations, but if I make the grades I won't reject the opportunity. As of now, I'm interested in PI work in Philadelphia. If not, then small/midlaw in Philly.

I have the option of living at home if I go to Villanova/Temple... and will probably do so my 2L and 3L if housing ends up being too costly.

Thanks, and if you could leave some reasoning as to your voting, I'd appreciate it.

Syracuse is kind of the outlier here, but they gave me 30,000 renewable... so they're my next cheapest option and will place decently in Philadelphia.
Last edited by beach_terror on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

beach_terror

Re: T2 PA/NJ Schools.. Help! (Nova, Temple, RU)

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:29 am

The lone Syracuse vote, mind saying why?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks for the votes, if anyone has any wisdom to impart I'd be interested to hear it. The trend echoes my thoughts as well, which is Temple if I get in, but Villanova if I don't. Even though it's more expensive, Nova will afford me the better opportunities in Philadelphia. Socially, I'm tied to the city. So I'd be happier at Nova or Temple, which I think is something people don't factor in enough sometimes.

Keep em coming.

mkaste01

Postby mkaste01 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 am

Also deciding among Nova, Temple, and Rutgers. More inclined to choose Temple or Villanova. Under the impression that Temple has a stronger litigation program, as their civil litigation clinic is supposed to be stellar. Nova also has great clinics like the immigration and refugee law clinic.

I have been to both schools and nova's facilities are awesome, though temple's certainly aren't a negative (just kind of average). I was nova undergrad 08 and am disinclined to live another 3 years out on the main line, but that isn't a deal breaker either.

It has been difficult for me to find the concrete differences between the two schools as relates to career placement. Temple has more alums in the prominent city firms I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), but this difference may be negligible. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Career placement, quality of life, etc?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Honestly, I think that similarly ranked (class, that is) grads from either school will have about the same shot of getting a job in the city. Same with the suburbs, but maybe an inch toward Villanova since the mainliners love it so much. Personally, I'd rather live on the mainline (went to HS there) than in the city, just because I'd have an easier time staying focused and studying.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Bump, same question.... getting down to and hoping for more opinions.

I can put in to get 3 roommates at Villanova, which will shrink my housing costs to 15k for all 3 years total. I live close by, so food will be taken care of. The same goes for Temple, if I get in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”