W&L($) vs. BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

W&L($) vs. BU

Postby waxloaf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 am

Hoping you guys can help me makes pros and cons for each of these schools, here is what I have so far, they are my two options at the moment. Just a note, I am currently not interested in Biglaw, but would like to go into government or PI. I am also notorious for changing my mind on such things, so I wouldn't be surprised if I wanted biglaw in a year or two.

W&L:

Pros: 17k/y scholly, low cost of living, nice rural area, (3rd year program)
Cons: less networking, tougher to get jobs, (3rd year program), middle of nowhere so harder to find internships and summer jobs

BU:

Pros: Better school rankings wise, better professors, metropolitan area, good networking and job prospects
Cons: No scholly, high COL, competition from other Boston schools for good summer jobs, ugly law school tower

Anyone else have any other ideas? Any things I have forgotten? Just telling me which you think would be a better bet would be helpful too. I will be visiting both schools soon so I'm sure that will help me out but I would like some input as well. Thanks.

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby waxloaf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:46 pm

bump

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

If you want to go for a high paying coorporate law gig, then BU wins hands down, as the debt you accrue will be worth it. They place 40% plus into the (in)famous NLJ250 and have job prospects rivaling T14 schools, especially if the economy turns around.

However, if you want to go to DC or go into anything BUT TLS' all-desirous BigLaw, then I'd take W and L.

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby waxloaf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks for the input, anyone else have any thoughts? They would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Kchuck
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 am

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby Kchuck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 am

Washington and Lee

leraa6587
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby leraa6587 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 am

BU was top 20 last time I checked. When you get closer to number 1 it makes a bigger difference than say 50 vs. 60. There's a reason that it's higher, but all in all you just need to visit or possibly re-visit. I would pick BU though because it will have more mobility, and I actually think you'd have an easier time getting a job in DC with a BU degree IMO, after touring W&L and hearing that not that many people went to DC. Good luck!!

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 am

will BU stay ranked that high? i've heard it's pretty questionable...

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby waxloaf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 am

pollaclc wrote:will BU stay ranked that high? i've heard it's pretty questionable...


also a factor that crossed my mind, but then again W&L could drop as well so I think its kind of a wash at the moment.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby tram988 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:46 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:If you want to go for a high paying coorporate law gig, then BU wins hands down, as the debt you accrue will be worth it. They place 40% plus into the (in)famous NLJ250 and have job prospects rivaling T14 schools, especially if the economy turns around.

However, if you want to go to DC or go into anything BUT TLS' all-desirous BigLaw, then I'd take W and L.

Where are these statistics? According to the most recent 2009 NLJ250, both BU and BC were placing equally at 34.6%.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby waxloaf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm

leraa6587 wrote:BU was top 20 last time I checked. When you get closer to number 1 it makes a bigger difference than say 50 vs. 60. There's a reason that it's higher, but all in all you just need to visit or possibly re-visit. I would pick BU though because it will have more mobility, and I actually think you'd have an easier time getting a job in DC with a BU degree IMO, after touring W&L and hearing that not that many people went to DC. Good luck!!


Just from OCI numbers on LSN looks like W&L has more presence in D.C., I'm not super concerned about location, I like New England and the South equally.

I guess the big question now is biglaw vs. non-biglaw; anyone have any other reasons why BU would be a better choice? Would the educational quality of a #20 school be vastly superior to a #30?

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: W&L($) vs. BU

Postby waxloaf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

bump




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anon sequitur, muggleclutch and 2 guests