BU vs UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ilovelawapps

BU vs UCLA

Postby ilovelawapps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 am

Hi does anyone have in insight/input on how the 2 schools stack up against each other for the East Coast? My guess is BU probably places better on the East Coast and obviously UCLA places better out west, but will someone from BU have a decent chance at landing employment in California (eg LA, San Francisco)? Will the BU grad place better than the UCLA grad in NYC? Thanks for any input.

ilovelawapps

Re: BU vs UCLA

Postby ilovelawapps » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 am

Anybody have any ideas?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 am

You would probably need top grades at either school to break into a market on the opposite coast, but I would imagine the UCLA grad to have an easier time due to:

1) NYC being the easiest market to break into (in the sense that local ties aren't needed)
2) UCLA has a much better reputation than BU overall (and it could be argued that UCLA grads self select to remain in LA, but could easily send more of its class elsewhere)

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 am

f0bolous wrote:You would probably need top grades at either school to break into a market on the opposite coast, but I would imagine the UCLA grad to have an easier time due to:

1) NYC being the easiest market to break into (in the sense that local ties aren't needed)
2) UCLA has a much better reputation than BU overall (and it could be argued that UCLA grads self select to remain in LA, but could easily send more of its class elsewhere)

I guess so. BU places a ton into NYC every year - UCLA not so much. Your alumni base at BU will be much larger - BU places more nationally, but with self selection, who knows. I personally believe that BU is better for the east coast, including NYC.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:41 am

Blindmelon wrote:
f0bolous wrote:You would probably need top grades at either school to break into a market on the opposite coast, but I would imagine the UCLA grad to have an easier time due to:

I guess so. BU places a ton into NYC every year - UCLA not so much. Your alumni base at BU will be much larger - BU places more nationally, but with self selection, who knows. I personally believe that BU is better for the east coast, including NYC.

definitely BU places better in NYC than UCLA. no doubt about that. i just interpreted OP's original question as whether a BU grad will place in LA as well as a UCLA grad will place in NYC.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 am

f0bolous wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

definitely BU places better in NYC than UCLA. no doubt about that. i just interpreted OP's original question as whether a BU grad will place in LA as well as a UCLA grad will place in NYC.

Ah gotcha. Yea, I think thats right. BU places like 10% a year into Cali in a good year and does really well actually in LA firms (its our 3rd biggest market), but ITE, I assume it'll be much much more difficult to make the jump especially given USC/UCLA's difficulty in breaking into their own market.

ilovelawapps

Postby ilovelawapps » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for the info guys, I assumed BU did better in NYC but was going through their website and saw that a decent amount of grads find work in CA. Ok heres something crazy-Blindmelon, from your posts I think you attend/attended BU? Any idea how BU grads place internationally? I would love to live a few years in London after school, provided I can find a job. I know I won't be well versed in the laws of the UK, but if I was doing IP or something like that I don't think it'd be TOO much of a handicap...I hope.

GradPath2011

Postby GradPath2011 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

You're obviously biased. UCLA < BU. nough said.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 am

GradPath2011 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

You're obviously biased. UCLA < BU. nough said.

You just agreed with me. So I guess I'm biased and right. I don't see why you'd try to point it out though. Thanks for the +1.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”