Cornell placement outside of NY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Teoeo

Cornell placement outside of NY

Postby Teoeo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 pm

I am just curious, how do you guys think cornell places outside of NY. For example, do you think a cornell grad would do well in say, LA or SF in cali vs. local schools like UCLA or Hastings (obviously wouldnt do as well as Cal in SF....). Would it trump GW in DC for being a T14 (again, not gonna beat GULC). I know that most ppl who go there end up in NY, but im not sure how much of this is based on the fact that ppl who want to practice in NY disproportionately go to Cornell rather than the degree being less portable than other T14s.

brewinbruin

Re: Cornell placement outside of NY

Postby brewinbruin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:57 pm

I'm also interested in this question (particularly Cornell vs. UCLA in southern California). Cornell does hold regional recruiting events in Los Angeles, but I'm curious to see real numbers or at least anecdotal evidence of placement

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm

No one has any opinions? -bump ^_^

MapacheGrande

Postby MapacheGrande » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 pm

If I recall correctly:

According to the information that they gave us during the accepted students' day, there is a heavy concentration of Cornell grads in NY state (~60%), ~90-95% of which are in NYC. The breakdown of the remaining ~40% split into other markets (Boston, LA, DC, etc.) tends to fluctuate from year to year. My impression was that the concentration in NY(C) was a result of interest and also the relative size of the job market. However, they made it seem as if choosing to work in one of the other markets was certainly a viable option based on the regional recruiting events, etc.

As for Cornell vs. one of the California schools for work on the west coast, I really can't say.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Hrm, that seems to be a common answer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”