UT v. UVA.. so conflicted.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT or UVA?

University of Texas
77%
University of Virginia
23%

Total votes: 88

mcflooter06

UT v. UVA.. so conflicted.

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Hello all. I hate to do this, but I am at wits end and need to make a decision soon, and would really appreciate some outside input.

I'm from Texas, and intend to practice in Dallas following law school. I have lived here most of my life, my entire family lives here, and I went to undergrad in Texas- I'm not too worried about not breaking into the legal market here since I have such strong ties. I would LIKE to clerk after law school, and then perhaps go onto biglaw, but both, of course, hinge on doing well at either school. I would like to do politics if at all possible, but I'm aware that's a long shot (but I like having that option still OPEN).

I have in state tuition plus a $28,500 scholarship at UT-Austin, which would put me in roughly $90K in debt. I am assuming that I am paying sticker at UVA, and my current loan amount per year is for $67K. I love UVA and the opportunities graduating from such a prestigious school, and I am worried about how far a UT degree could carry me concerning clerkship/political/biglaw placement. Is the $100,000 price difference between the two justified in the opportunities I could gain from attending UVA?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read!

gladiator

Re: UT v. UVA.. so conflicted.

Postby gladiator » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Did you visit UVA?

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:06 pm

gladiator wrote:Did you visit UVA?

I did. I went to the ASD on Friday, and just got back. I really loved the school, which makes this decision harder. The price difference is just.. huge.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm

If you want to stay in Texas and practice in Dallas, go to UT for roughly half the price of UVA.

Don't let a messageboard full of UVA trolls tell you otherwise.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:15 pm

GeePee wrote:If you want to stay in Texas and practice in Dallas, go to UT for roughly half the price of UVA.
Worse case scenario, you don't get biglaw, which isn't the end of the world.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
GeePee wrote:If you want to stay in Texas and practice in Dallas, go to UT for roughly half the price of UVA.
Worse case scenario, you don't get biglaw, which isn't the end of the world.

Very true, and I honestly don't think I will be upset if I don't. Thanks for the input!

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Don't let a messageboard full of UVA trolls tell you otherwise.

Ah, you have no idea how much better it makes me feel to hear other people say that. Thanks.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:23 pm

we want you at Texas!!!.. but then again im biased :wink:

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:24 pm

$100,000 is a lot of money.

adrib

Postby adrib » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 pm

flooter, you are fast becoming one of my favorite posters. as such, i demand that you come be my classmate at UT NAAAOOOWWWWW :mrgreen:

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 pm

UT is so credited here. I just did some calculations on the loans I'd have leaving Vanderbilt with an 81K scholarship--paying over 700 bucks a month for 10 years to pay off the ~55K difference in tuition. It makes my body hurt since I'm barely paying that much right now for my rent.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Puffy wrote:$100,000 is a lot of money.

Hahaha, I knoooow. I could buy a freaking house with that (well, in TEXAS).

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 pm

adrib wrote:flooter, you are fast becoming one of my favorite posters. as such, i demand that you come be my classmate at UT NAAAOOOWWWWW :mrgreen:

catharsis wrote:we want you at Texas!!!.. but then again im biased :wink:

I LOVE you guys. <3

Judging by the Texas population on this board, though small, I will totally be happy there. :-D

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:43 pm

T is clearly you best option.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 pm

think about this carefully. UVA will give you alot mroe options than Texas will in the long run. Whatever you do, if you go to texas and get screwed over.... you may be thinking, "what if I went to UVA?" Also, would you rather hang a Texas degree on your wall when you could have to hang a UVA degree?

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Texas, a UVA degree isnt worth the difference in price if you want to stay in the state.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:00 pm

avacado111 wrote:think about this carefully. UVA will give you alot mroe options than Texas will in the long run. Whatever you do, if you go to texas and get screwed over.... you may be thinking, "what if I went to UVA?" Also, would you rather hang a Texas degree on your wall when you could have to hang a UVA degree?

I believe I would be equally pleased with either degree, but I do agree with UVA giving more options nationally.

Another personal factor that is playing into this decision is that I hate living in small towns and isolation. Though I think this is a rather small factor in considering schools, I think I would be happier in a bigger city. Again, small factor, but it definitely plays a role.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 pm

beesknees wrote:My friend turned down UVA two cycles ago for UT. UVA gave him a partial scholly, but he got full tuition at UT and wants to stay in Texas (apparently, the Texas market has a fierce love of UT). He doesn't regret his decision at all, especially in light of the fact that his class got slammed (economy went to the toilet) so he likes that he chose a great school in the region he wants but is coming out with FAR less debt (COL debt is still there) because his worse case scenario is not nearly as bad as the kids who are paying full price to go to a school and who wound up on the wrong side of the curve and are #*%#ed. Also, Austin wins hands down over Charlottesville, IMO.

Its just anecdotal, but I know I am searching for precedents for a similar decision (Mich at sticker vs Vandy with slightly more than half tuition). Really, though, its a good dilemma to have and you probably can't go wrong.

Thanks! It does really help to hear some anecdotes, since I have none to go by.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am

I'll echo all of those that say Texas sounds like home for you. If you want to live/work and possibly run for office in Texas, having a Texas law degree is probably the best choice. Sure, you could work in Dallas with a UVA degree, but why pay more?

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

Thank you everyone for the very helpful answers! :-D

memaha

Postby memaha » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Go to UT without a question. Cheaper. Better connections/ties to Texas market (especially if you know you want to end up there). Those two reasons should be enough to help you make that decision.

(And this is coming from a UVA 0L :D )

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:56 pm

avacado111 wrote:think about this carefully. UVA will give you alot mroe options than Texas will in the long run. Whatever you do, if you go to texas and get screwed over.... you may be thinking, "what if I went to UVA?" Also, would you rather hang a Texas degree on your wall when you could have to hang a UVA degree?

With all due respect to avacado, is the fuzzy feeling you get from hanging a piece of paper on your wall really worth 100k? And I don't think he is going to get "screwed over," but even if he does, I'd rather have the flexibility to take a lower paying job thanks to less debt. If he got "screwed over" at UVA, he would be drowning in debt.

I can't even believe this is comparable. Its not like we're talking about UVA vs. Texas Tech. We're talking about just a few spots in the rankings, and OP wants to stay in Texas. This is pure conjecture here, since I'm not all that familiar with the Texas market, but I can't imagine a Dallas firm is going to prefer UVA grads over UT grads. My guess is that Dallas is probably full of Texas/SMU grads, for the most part. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but typically a degree from the state's flagship school (especially a school like Texas) is going to get priority over a school more than 1,000 miles away (unless that school is HYS). Threads like these just show how much sway U.S. News gets in today's law school decision-making. If we were comparing the two at sticker, then maybe UVA could be argued for. But the combination of OP's desire to stay in TX and the scholarship money should make UT the clear winner.

PS. Go Cowboys!

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
avacado111 wrote:I can't even believe this is comparable. Its not like we're talking about UVA vs. Texas Tech. We're talking about just a few spots in the rankings, and OP wants to stay in Texas. This is pure conjecture here, since I'm not all that familiar with the Texas market, but I can't imagine a Dallas firm is going to prefer UVA grads over UT grads. My guess is that Dallas is probably full of Texas/SMU grads, for the most part. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but typically a degree from the state's flagship school (especially a school like Texas) is going to get priority over a school more than 1,000 miles away (unless that school is HYS). Threads like these just show how much sway U.S. News gets in today's law school decision-making. If we were comparing the two at sticker, then maybe UVA could be argued for. But the combination of OP's desire to stay in TX and the scholarship money should make UT the clear winner.

[strike]PS. Go Cowboys![/strike]

Corrected. Everything about this post is now right...except your username. haha

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 pm

beesknees wrote:My friend turned down UVA two cycles ago for UT. UVA gave him a partial scholly, but he got full tuition at UT and wants to stay in Texas (apparently, the Texas market has a fierce love of UT). He doesn't regret his decision at all, especially in light of the fact that his class got slammed (economy went to the toilet) so he likes that he chose a great school in the region he wants but is coming out with FAR less debt (COL debt is still there) because his worse case scenario is not nearly as bad as the kids who are paying full price to go to a school and who wound up on the wrong side of the curve and are #*%#ed. Also, Austin wins hands down over Charlottesville, IMO.

Its just anecdotal, but I know I am searching for precedents for a similar decision (Mich at sticker vs Vandy with slightly more than half tuition). Really, though, its a good dilemma to have and you probably can't go wrong.

this was an opinion? i thought it was fact lol

that being said, UT > UVA in your particular situation -- your goals and the large debt, i just dont see how anyone could recommend otherwise

and your comments about wanting to maybe go into politics...i assume you mean in TX?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”