WUSTL ($$$) v. W&M ($) v. UVA (sticker)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
novalady

WUSTL ($$$) v. W&M ($) v. UVA (sticker)?

Postby novalady » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Washington U in St. Louis gave me about 85% tuition in merit scholarship, while W&M gave me about $12K. Neither have gpa requirements or any other strings attached. After factoring in the scholarships and my Virginia residency, WM would leave me at least $70K in debt while WUSTL is about $30K or less. As for UVA, I'm currently WL but I wanted to throw it in here anyway. Assuming that WL = no scholarship, is the UVA at sticker is over 50K/yr.

My interests are in commercial real estate and urban economic development. Obviously want a great paying job when I graduate but I'm not a biglaw or my world is over type.

I'm drawn to WUSTL because the clinical programs and upper level curriculum are more reflective of my interests and the school gives off a more liberal, academically adventurous vibe. WM seems very conservative and I'm not thrilled about the idea of spending my early twenties next to colonial Williamsburg. I also like that WUSTL potentially leaves me more open to other markets, as I think a lot of WM grads are competing for the same mid & south-atlantic jobs.

On the other hand, I am most interested in working in DC and wonder if I'm passing up networking opportunities in the area by going to WUSTL instead of WM. I'm a DC Metro area native so I do have a few connects myself, but nothing is as good as proximity- right?

Do the DC networking opportunities of WM outweigh the scholarship money, t-20 rep and my perceived greater happiness at WUSTL? If I get off the WL at UVA, is it worth paying full price?

Other things about me:
ivy undergrad if that makes any difference, latina

Borhas

Re: WUSTL ($$$) v. W&M ($) v. UVA (sticker)?

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:16 pm

UVa

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:32 pm

30k in debt is pretty attractive compared to 150k, tough decision. But this is assuming get off the waitlist to begin with. UVA's waitlist is longer than the great wall of china.

novalady

Postby novalady » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 pm

holydonkey wrote:30k in debt is pretty attractive compared to 150k, tough decision. But this is assuming get off the waitlist to begin with. UVA's waitlist is longer than the great wall of china.

Yeah I agree, UVA is more of a side issue as of right now. The bigger question is WUSTL v WM

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm

If WashU is giving you an 85% scholarship, how does that only leave you with less than $30k in debt? Are you not factoring in COL?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”