Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Would you pay sticker at Cornell?

Yes
83
63%
No
48
37%
 
Total votes: 131

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby irishman86 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Cornell (and Georgetown) seem to get a lot of hate on these boards. I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14. Would you pay sticker at Cornell?

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:55 pm

irishman86 wrote:Cornell (and Georgetown) seem to get a lot of hate on these boards. I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14. Would you pay sticker at Cornell?


Absolutely.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 pm

I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....

ppa840
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby ppa840 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Yes if it is the only t14 school you have been accepted to

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....


Sure, people approach this question with their own perspectives shaped by their own current options. But it is still an objective question and a matter of opinion, and he is asking for people's opinions.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby CyLaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:05 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....


Sure, people approach this question with their own perspectives shaped by their own current options. But it is still an objective question and a matter of opinion, and he is asking for people's opinions.


I don't think something can be objective and a matter of opinion.

That said. This of course depends on what you want and what your options are.

I would pay sticker to Cornell as I want PI and the LRAP makes loans not matter above a certain point, so the 210k would not phase me. If there was no LRAP, than no way.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:07 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....


Sure, people approach this question with their own perspectives shaped by their own current options. But it is still an objective question and a matter of opinion, and he is asking for people's opinions.


Your point?

I am just making the observation about how people are approaching this question. The OP cannot expect this to tell him/her anything more then whether the population on TLS right now would do it (not to be confused with a recommendation that he/she SHOULD do it).
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 pm

irishman86 wrote:Cornell (and Georgetown) seem to get a lot of hate on these boards. I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14. Would you pay sticker at Cornell?


Cornell doesn't have worse prospects than Michigan, Northwestern, Uva, Duke, Boalt, or Penn.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:10 pm

CyLaw wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....


Sure, people approach this question with their own perspectives shaped by their own current options. But it is still an objective question and a matter of opinion, and he is asking for people's opinions.


I don't think something can be objective and a matter of opinion.

That said. This of course depends on what you want and what your options are.

I would pay sticker to Cornell as I want PI and the LRAP makes loans not matter above a certain point, so the 210k would not phase me. If there was no LRAP, than no way.


Yea, also, it is not an "objective question" at all. It clearly says "would YOU", making it subjective.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:10 pm

irishman86 wrote: I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14.


also, suicides
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/20/new.yo ... es/?hpt=T2
(6 in one year!?)

but yeah I'd go there, sure.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....


Sure, people approach this question with their own perspectives shaped by their own current options. But it is still an objective question and a matter of opinion, and he is asking for people's opinions.


Your point?

I am just making the observation about how people are approaching this question. The OP cannot expect this to tell him anything more then whether the population on TLS right now would do it (not to be confused with a recommendation that he/she SHOULD do it).


The question was whether YOU would go to Cornell at sticker. I would. Someone who got into Harvard might not. In sum, I agree with everything you said.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby irishman86 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Cornell (and Georgetown) seem to get a lot of hate on these boards. I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14. Would you pay sticker at Cornell?


Cornell doesn't have worse prospects than Michigan, Northwestern, Uva, Duke, Boalt, or Penn.


According to recent data it does. It also places less into clerkships than some of those schools.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby billyez » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14 pm

If I've interpreted Flanker's post correctly, I concur with it. As someone who signed onto UVA at sticker price and with no regrets, I'd note that this kind of decision really depends on the person. Some of the people who are voting in this poll might not fully understand what going to Cornell really entails. That's not a knock on them, it's just that...until you're in the thick of it, making these decisions, I'm not sure you have the full spectrum of experience necessary to make a recommendation.

I would have gone to Cornell sticker myself. Until I was accepted to UVA, it was my top choice. But with the price involved there, that's certainly not an easy decision.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I think most people are comparing this option to their current choices....


Sure, people approach this question with their own perspectives shaped by their own current options. But it is still an objective question and a matter of opinion, and he is asking for people's opinions.


I don't think something can be objective and a matter of opinion.

That said. This of course depends on what you want and what your options are.

I would pay sticker to Cornell as I want PI and the LRAP makes loans not matter above a certain point, so the 210k would not phase me. If there was no LRAP, than no way.


Yea, also, it is not an "objective question" at all. It clearly says "would YOU", making it subjective.


I think an assumption of any question like this is that there is a right answer. Maybe objective was the wrong word according to your definition. Can something can be objective and also a matter of opinion? Heh. Let's not get into a debate about semantics. Anyway, back to the topic. Yeah, go to Cornell.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 pm

irishman86 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Cornell (and Georgetown) seem to get a lot of hate on these boards. I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14. Would you pay sticker at Cornell?


Cornell doesn't have worse prospects than Michigan, Northwestern, Uva, Duke, Boalt, or Penn.


According to recent data it does. It also places less into clerkships than some of those schools.


Image

Image

It was only 2009 when it took a hit. It was because New York City took a massive hit in 2009. Class of 09 data won't be a good representation of what class of 13 will be facing at OCI.

That 2009 data also shows Northwestern being better than UChi. That just isn't true.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby miamiman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 pm

No

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby irishman86 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
It was only 2009 when it took a hit. It was because New York City took a massive hit in 2009. Class of 09 data won't be a good representation of what class of 13 will be facing at OCI.

That 2009 data also shows Northwestern being better than UChi. That just isn't true.


I don't understand why you are posting that information to prove your point as that doesn't take into account of clerkships. Cornell does not place better than Harvard.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Oh boy, I will help you out here D.Fox.

Irishman, read his first post, does he include Harvard?

Also, I see your point, NLJ250 isn't everything. That being said, Cornell does do pretty well all around.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby irishman86 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:Oh boy, I will help you out here D.Fox.

Irishman, read his first post, does he include Harvard?


According to that data, it shows Cornell placing more into biglaw than Harvard. He's using NLJ placement statistics only to argue his point, without taking into account of clerkships.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:27 pm

See above edit ^^^^

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:That 2009 data also shows Northwestern being better than UChi. That just isn't true.


By some measures NU might be "better" than UC.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Cornell (and Georgetown) seem to get a lot of hate on these boards. I guess it's because they have the worst job prospects out of the top 14. Would you pay sticker at Cornell?


Cornell doesn't have worse prospects than Michigan, Northwestern, Uva, Duke, Boalt, or Penn.

Thanks DF, thanks..

<-----will be paying sticker at Cornell

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby CyLaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:39 pm

irishman86 wrote:
I don't understand why you are posting that information to prove your point as that doesn't take into account of clerkships. Cornell does not place better than Harvard.


Clerkships are likely due to self selection.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Yes, but my numbers barely got me into a t50 (which I am not attending) so my opinion is a little skewed.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Would you go to Cornell at sticker?

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm

CyLaw wrote: Clerkships are likely due to self selection.


As opposed to big law not being self-selection...? Clerkships are by far the most prestigious jobs you can get straight out of law school. They require the highest grades (usually top 15%) plus recommendations. They also open up doors for the DOJ and other prestigious federal jobs, which require clerkships to be considered as a serious applicant.

A primary reason why you don't see people considering clerkships is because they don't have the grades to make the cut. If I were top 15% I would definitely make clerkships my number one choice for post-graduate employment.
Last edited by fortissimo on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest