W&L v. GMU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
freeman09

W&L v. GMU

Postby freeman09 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello all.

I am picking between W&L with money against George Mason with money.

I am also on the waitlist at William and Mary and UVA. If admitted of the wait list, I'd definitely take W&M as a VA resident with their name and great in-state rate.

Wondering what people think about GMU and W&L in today's market.

DE3

Re: W&L v. GMU

Postby DE3 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

GMU definitely has a decent rep in the D.C. area. Of course, they'll always be overshadowed by GW and Georgetown, but according to the school the better GMU grads have some pretty good options, many of which are in the federal and state government. When I went for ASD, I got the notion that many GMU grads rely on networking to create job opportunities as opposed to career services being the driver.

W&L, on the other hand, seems to have a pretty quiet reputation. Maybe that's because of its location, even though its rankings are on par with W&M. Don't really know that much about W&L.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 pm

W&L has one of the best water polo programs in the country.

megj999

Postby megj999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 am

I believe in the latest rankings GM is at 45 and W&L is at 30

sladegalute

Postby sladegalute » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:31 am

From what I can gather, if you are at the very top of GMU's class you will have some pretty solid options in Northern Virginia and DC (although some say the government connection is/will dry up because it is a conservative law school and the Democrats are in power for now at least). W&L has an extremely good reputation in VA and particularly southwest. If you want to work in Roanoke that is the easy choice. It appears to at least get some OCI attention from bigger firms but not sure how many people they actually take. I think this decision should be based on what environment you prefer.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. GMU certainly has the DC advantage. W&L has an older name.

Still have time to decide.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 pm

As a VA resident, I can tell you W&L is much more respected in the state (at least where I'm from). I can't speak for D.C. If I were you I would choose W&L in a heartbeat.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Any more thoughts out there?

Best for private v. public practice?

Etc...

I should add my interest is the southeast for practice. I'd like to remain in VA but also have interest in other regional states.

Also, what do people think about the academic environment in the two schools considering differing viewpoints and so on?

Thanks.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 pm

freeman09 wrote:Any more thoughts out there?

Best for private v. public practice?

Etc...

I should add my interest is the southeast for practice. I'd like to remain in VA but also have interest in other regional states.

Also, what do people think about the academic environment in the two schools considering differing viewpoints and so on?

Thanks.

Well, if you want to work in the southeast, W&L is the way to go. It's very isolated in Lexington, VA, but it is older and more well-established than GMU (just my opinion, but I've lived in VA in the past and have had a couple friends go to each school fwiw). While both schools are decent, GMU is much newer and is essentially a commuter school geared towards NOVA and DC. GMU also is known for its conservative reputation. It might be easier to find govt opportunities through GMU with its proximity to DC, but it sounds like W&L matches your needs more.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm

my two cents: I would go to GMU, W&L is higher ranked and all but I dont think you can trump the intrinsic benefits of being able to network in DC in person anytime you want to due to the proximity.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Placement stats say GMU for government work and W&L for everything else (NLJ250, clerkship, etc.) Also, you should visit both. W&L is different from every other school I've been to; it's got a unique vibe. I haven't been to GMU, but I'm guessing there's a huge difference between a small liberal arts school in western Virginia and a commuter school outside D.C.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:03 pm

For the record, GMU is in DC like University of Maryland is in DC.

An exaggeration, but I've met plenty of people who have never been to the school and think it's in DC like GW or Georgetown is in DC

Johannes de Silentio

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 am

Definitely visit both campuses if you can...there is a very different feel to both institutions and that may be a deciding factor for you.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:59 pm

I visited W&L and will visit GMU here in a week or so for their ASW.

Different schools with very different character.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

gmu with money. make your debt smaller in your situation. now if it were between a t14 vs. gmu with money i would say t14.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 pm

avacado111 wrote:gmu with money. make your debt smaller in your situation. now if it were between a t14 vs. gmu with money i would say t14.

Thats true with 12k a year at GMU and 29-30 at W&L. (both after some merit aid)

Any thoughts from those planning to attend either school or current students?

Also, what are people's thoughts on what might happen with higher education given the new state executive in VA?

Think it will really change much at state law schools?

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 am

I am/was in a very similar situation, only that I had no money at W&L and money at GMU. Once I read about GMU's heavy focus on econ and conservative views, I reevaluated things. But I really do think it comes down to how you feel about the school when you visit. Nobody on here can predict what kinds of jobs we'll get in the next 1-3 years, nor can anyone really tell you what school is right for you. Just visit the two places if you can, talk to current/prospective students, and make the choice you feel is best.

That was a lot of help, I'm sure. :P

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Glad for the advice.

I'll visit GMU and make an informed decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”