Choosing between 6 schools and have no clue what to do???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
genuine_advocate

Choosing between 6 schools and have no clue what to do???

Postby genuine_advocate » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

I am an African American male and am trying to make a decision between the 6 schools listed below and I honestly have no clue what to do. My mind has kinda shut down because I have been trying to weigh so many options. I don't know what I want to do in terms of what field of law I want to study but I do know that I enjoy law and want to use my degree to help someone. Any constructive advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The schools that are in the running are:
-Boston University (Sticker price)
-American (Sticker price)
-UIUC (10k per yer)
-Howard (15k per year)
-Cardozo (30k per year)
-Chicago-Kent (full-tution: 39,800 per year)

There are no restrictions on the money from Kent, Cardozo or UIUC. I need to stay in the top 15% to keep my Howard scholarship. Let me know what you think.

minuit

Re: Choosing between 6 schools and have no clue what to do???

Postby minuit » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:09 pm

well, you can at least cross howard off the list... that is a ridiculous scholarship stipulation!!

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm

genuine_advocate wrote:I am an African American male and am trying to make a decision between the 6 schools listed below and I honestly have no clue what to do. My mind has kinda shut down because I have been trying to weigh so many options. I don't know what I want to do in terms of what field of law I want to study but I do know that I enjoy law and want to use my degree to help someone. Any constructive advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-UIUC (10k per yer)
-Howard (15k per year)
-Cardozo (30k per year)

There are no restrictions on the money from Kent, Cardozo or UIUC. I need to stay in the top 15% to keep my Howard scholarship. Let me know what you think.

I'd consider Boston, UIUC and Cardozo only.

American is good (I'm a 1L there), but sticker to sticker against Boston, it's not worth it unless you really want access to the DC market or have a strong interest in the program.
UIUC with the 10K is pretty sweet. Cardozo if you are interested in making NYC connections.

Boston probably has the most portability post law school.

There is a lot to consider; where you want to end up after school, your regional preferences, personal likes and dislikes. Good luck and let us know!

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:34 pm

genuine_advocate wrote:I am an African American male and am trying to make a decision between the 6 schools listed below and I honestly have no clue what to do. My mind has kinda shut down because I have been trying to weigh so many options. I don't know what I want to do in terms of what field of law I want to study but I do know that I enjoy law and want to use my degree to help someone. Any constructive advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-UIUC (10k per yer)
-Howard (15k per year)
-Cardozo (30k per year)

I think since you do not have a specific program you want to go to and that you want to help people, I would choose the one with the least debt.

If you want to go public (in terms of professional practice), then ranking, which UIUC is by far the best, shouldn't matter, although it probably has the best programs.

If you were more specific about where you want to live, what you want to do, etc. then maybe a different school.

But from what I gather, going to Kent, with the least amount of debt would be best.
Last edited by kommatas on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 pm

If finance isn't an issue, I'd choose Boston. If it is, Kent would be a very strong choice, especially if you're considering IP/Patent fields.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:50 pm

I think a lot of it depends on where you want to end up, as these are all (for the most part) 'regional' schools. To maximize your job potential when you first graduate it is probably best to plan on working nearby to the school you go to. It seems to me that the UIUC offer may be the best in terms of ranking + money, but if you don't want to work in the Chicago area I'm not sure I would go for it (perhaps you could research how many UIUC graduates end up working outside the mid-west; if there is a considerable percentage you might not be entirely bound to the mid-west). I would cross American off the list because you have acceptances from much stronger schools, some of which include money. I would say that goes even if you want to live in D.C.- I think the Howard offer would be better than American even though you can't count on money once the grades come in. There are a lot of firms that recruit from Howard even though it is considered to be a low-tier/ low-ranked school, so I'm not convinced you would be better off going to American (even if you lose your Howard scholarship, I think you would still be paying a lot more at American). If you are going for best value and are comfortable with the idea of living and working in the Chicago area, then I think Chicago-Kent with the full-scholarship is not a bad plan. However, UCIC is a far superior school based on the rankings and since they are offering you some money I think that is probably the better way to go. You do seem to have a difficult choice; you have so many options with a lot of different factors to consider. It seems that narrowing down the region you want to live and work in could be a good first step.

genuine_advocate

Postby genuine_advocate » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks for all the advice and help thus far. My decision has been furthered altered because I was just awarded 30K per year from Boston U with no restrictions. That just further complicates things...

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 am

Boston, no brainer now.

mkirk3

Postby mkirk3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 am

genuine_advocate wrote:Thanks for all the advice and help thus far. My decision has been furthered altered because I was just awarded 30K per year from Boston U with no restrictions. That just further complicates things...

... unless you hate Boston you have no reason whatsoever to do anything but sent your confirmation to BU ASAP.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 am

Boston Univ. Best scholarship, highest placement. Easy choice.

Unless you leverage that offer with UIUC to get a full scholarship go with BU. You'll have a nice headstart in OCI anyways unless the economy further erodes diversity initiatives.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 am

BU will give you the best career prospects

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 am

I reiterate BU.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

After the scholarship offer, BU is the only real choice here.

If you're legitimately having a problem deciding after that scholarship offer, then perhaps you should try to identify what reasons you wouldn't want to go to BU (maybe you don't want to live in New England, or you just don't like the Boston region, etc.). In which case, yeah, choose someplace else that you think you'd more enjoy. Otherwise, if there's no actual reason why you wouldn't want to be in Boston, I'd definitely say jump at the BU offer.

lovethelaw88

Postby lovethelaw88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

I'd go with BU. They have wonderful financial aid packages, especially if you're URM.

I would cross Cardozo off the list now. A friend of mine goes there on a full scholarship and told me they put all of the scholarship recipients in one section so they compete against each other and then 1/3 of them lose their scholarships completely!

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:36 pm

BU 100%. congrats!

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 pm

lovethelaw88 wrote:I'd go with BU. They have wonderful financial aid packages, especially if you're URM.

I would cross Cardozo off the list now. A friend of mine goes there on a full scholarship and told me they put all of the scholarship recipients in one section so they compete against each other and then 1/3 of them lose their scholarships completely!

OP said he didn't have any stipulations on the cardozo money.

genuine_advocate

Postby genuine_advocate » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:02 pm

I want to really thank everyone who posted replies to my question. The advice was a great help. I am still waiting to here from WUSTL and BC but at this point I have narrowed down my choices to BU and Chicago-Kent with a strong force pulling towards BU. I am headed to Boston tomorrow to attend their Admitted Students Preview Day (the March 26th one). Visiting is going to go a long way in determining whether I will be able to see myself in Boston for the next three years. Again, thanks to all of you who replied.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”