All this talk of connections...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
quickquestionthanks

All this talk of connections...

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:02 am

When people refer to "connections" to a certain city, what do you mean exactly?

For example, I have a few extended family members that live in a certain city in which I'd like to attend law school. One of those family members is an attorney, but isn't in a big firm. He has been in private practice for decades. I can't see how he could "connect" me or hook me up with a job. Is this still a connection to the city?

quickquestionthanks

Re: All this talk of connections...

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:26 am

Hmm. Well I hope that's true. :)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:35 pm

When people say "it will be easier to go back to XYZ secondary market if you have connections to the area," they simply mean that you have family there or grew up there. They do not mean that you know people who know people or that you have friends in high places. The reason having family or other such connections to a given secondary market matters is that firms in secondary markets often view students from national schools as flight risks.

Chairman

Postby Chairman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Bronte wrote:When people say "it will be easier to go back to XYZ secondary market if you have connections to the area," they simply mean that you have family there or grew up there. They do not mean that you know people who know people or that you have friends in high places. The reason having family or other such connections to a given secondary market matters is that firms in secondary markets often view students from national schools as flight risks.

Exactly. As a rule, when interviewing for a job in a secondary market, you need to convince the employer that you want to be there; having "connections" is generally the easiest way to do that.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:32 am

Bronte wrote:When people say "it will be easier to go back to XYZ secondary market if you have connections to the area," they simply mean that you have family there or grew up there. They do not mean that you know people who know people or that you have friends in high places. The reason having family or other such connections to a given secondary market matters is that firms in secondary markets often view students from national schools as flight risks.

Oh, okay. That's good to know. I was actually confused about the same thing. People on this site have always told me that it would be easy for me to get back to my home region if I go to a far-off school as long as I maintained "connections." I always disregarded them, since I don't have any legal connections anywhere, besides friends' parents that are lawyers.

So these firms seriously "flight risks" when hiring? I guess in my hometown of Washington, DC, it wouldn't really matter since a lot of national school graduates go there to stay anyways..

Return to “Choosing a Law School”