Decisional Paralysis...help.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
liquidsword

Decisional Paralysis...help.

Postby liquidsword » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:48 pm

I'll begin with an apology for my narcissistic post...sorry.

And a promise to offer any of my insights/acceptance/numbers info if asked.

I've been accepted into a handful of schools with little differentiating them for me...hoping some of the thoughtful members of the board can provide some insight.

Accepted:
Miami - $23k/yr scholly
Santa Clara - $11k/yr scholly
Depaul - $10k/yr scholly
Temple
Villanova
San Francisco

WL:
William & Mary (planning to withdraw)

Awaiting Decision:
UNC

Most realistically considering Santa Clara, Temple and Miami mainly because of financial/locational considerations. Acceptance to Carolina would be nice, as it is my alma mater.

Thoughts?

Danteshek

Re: Decisional Paralysis...help.

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Where do you want to live?

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:57 pm

A very valid question. Unfortunately, I currently have no answer. Silicon Valley is appealing...I have ties to Philly..and the scholly Miami is offering makes them very hard to overlook.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Santa Clara dominates San Jose. Has a strong showing in Silicon Valley, but so does Stanford. I personally dislike San Jose.

I can't stand humidity, but if I could, I would go to Miami. Especially since there's a glut of condos you might be able to afford soon if you work really hard.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:06 am

I think you should go to Temple, considering you have ties in Philly. It's very difficult to start over in a new city.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks for the input -- my ties to Philly aren't direct...I have family there. I suppose since none of these schools are top national choices, it's mainly a matter of location...

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:41 am

Villanova sucks. Don't go there.

Disclaimer: I'm really only saying this because they killed my bracket. HTH

jdenquist

Postby jdenquist » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 am

As much as the scholarship from Miami is tempting, understand that the cost of attending Miami and Santa Clara, after both scholarships are considered is fairly equal. Miami is tempting, but how much time will you spend in class and how much time at the beach? If that could be a distraction, then Miami may not be the best school. Also, as far as a diverse education goes, Santa Clara has several specialty programs that Miami does not. You may get a better experience, especially with more accessibility to professors at Santa Clara. On the other hand, Miami does have a high median salary coming out of school ($100,000).

It's a tough decision. Typically, graduates of the two schools stay in the areas where they attended school unless they make connections to other places. The fact that Miami has a more well known name may help your portabilty and job prospects in other regions bodes well for Miami. I would base my decision on where I would want to practice, debt load (about equal), bar passage rates (Miami), professional development/career services department. I don't envy your decision, but with the economy down, real estate prices in Miami are falling, and in my opinion, would sway me towards Miami. That all changes if you want to IP law or International Law, which would then sway me to Santa Clara.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 am

Again, thanks for the thoughtful input. Leaning toward SCU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”