USC$ vs IU$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

USC (20k/year scholarship guaranteed)
33
69%
IU Bloomington (full scholarship guaranteed)
15
31%
 
Total votes: 48

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:00 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.


ITE biglaw isnt too likely from either, so I would take IU.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 am

sfdreaming09 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.


ITE biglaw isnt too likely from either, so I would take IU.


From USC? I'd say you have a pretty good shot if you're in the top 30% of your class. By the time you graduate, perhaps top 50. In LA, of course.

roadkilllaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 am

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby roadkilllaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:15 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.


ITE biglaw isnt too likely from either, so I would take IU.


From USC? I'd say you have a pretty good shot if you're in the top 30% of your class. By the time you graduate, perhaps top 50. In LA, of course.


Really? ITE?

I chose USC too, mostly because I don't think IUB deserves its rank and its not as portable as USC. ITE, you'd prbly want to be top 5-10% at USC for a SHOT a biglaw, not top 30%

Edit:
Do either scholarships come with GPA requirements??

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 am

roadkilllaw wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.


ITE biglaw isnt too likely from either, so I would take IU.


From USC? I'd say you have a pretty good shot if you're in the top 30% of your class. By the time you graduate, perhaps top 50. In LA, of course.


Really? ITE?

I chose USC too, mostly because I don't think IUB deserves its rank and its not as portable as USC. ITE, you'd prbly want to be top 5-10% at USC for a SHOT a biglaw, not top 30%

Edit:
Do either scholarships come with GPA requirements??


Nope. Both scholarships are guaranteed for all 3 years.

On the subject of job placement, USC placed 15th on the 2009 NLJ250 charts with 41.6% of grads placed. IUB doesn't even appear in the top 50 of that chart. Of course, this placement happened before the big downturn.

roadkilllaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 am

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby roadkilllaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 am

I still go for USC.
Honestly, before I started researching law schools, I didn't even know that IUB had a law school. I think that USC gives far more opportunities than IUB so even though i'm debt adverse, i'd still choose USC --> it's going to be the most portable of the two

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Can anyone else chime in with their thoughts?

User avatar
Puffy
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 am

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby Puffy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Like, if you have to think about this, then you are probably the type of person who'd do better in Indiana or whatever.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Ok, interesting, Puffy. Now can anyone with manners chime in?

jonnodotsg
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby jonnodotsg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 pm

.
Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:58 pm

jonnodotsg wrote:I'd say that it really depends on where you'd like to practice. As has been mentioned countless times in this forum, take USC if you want LA, and IU if you want the Midwest. However, if none of these two markets appeal to you, then I'd go with IU. The significant reduction in debt would allow you a bit more flexibility in terms of career options upon graduation.


+1. Well said.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby danquayle » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:01 pm

thinkbig wrote:
jonnodotsg wrote:I'd say that it really depends on where you'd like to practice. As has been mentioned countless times in this forum, take USC if you want LA, and IU if you want the Midwest. However, if none of these two markets appeal to you, then I'd go with IU. The significant reduction in debt would allow you a bit more flexibility in terms of career options upon graduation.


+1. Well said.


Except USC is in a far more dominate position relative to its market than IU. I'm big for keeping debt down, and I'm big on IU, but I'd take USC... easily.

You're looking at a school thats essentially tied for first in its market with said market being one of the largest in the country...

Although, that USC scholarship will be pretty much offset by the cost of living in LA.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for the constructive responses! Anyone else?

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby beef wellington » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 am

musicfor18 wrote:Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.

It sounds like you want USC. More portable, plus if you were to get stuck in CA or IN, personally I'd much rather be stuck in CA.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:04 pm

bump

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 pm

beef wellington wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Which would you choose? I want to leave big law open as an option, and would generally like as much portability as possible. Should I take the full scholarship or undertake more debt for USC? Please vote and leave your thoughts.

It sounds like you want USC. More portable, plus if you were to get stuck in CA or IN, personally I'd much rather be stuck in CA.


+1,000,000.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 pm

Why is IU ranked so high at 23 if so many people think it should be lower? Or....why do you think it should be ranked lower than it is?

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 am

musicfor18 wrote:Why is IU ranked so high at 23 if so many people think it should be lower? Or....why do you think it should be ranked lower than it is?

I think I remember reading something like they got a huge one time donation that pushed up their expenditure per student number.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 am

beef wellington wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Why is IU ranked so high at 23 if so many people think it should be lower? Or....why do you think it should be ranked lower than it is?

I think I remember reading something like they got a huge one time donation that pushed up their expenditure per student number.


Yes, well it's definitely true they got a huge donation. I think that's how they're able to give out a bunch of full scholarships.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Anyone else?

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:50 pm

bunp

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm

roadkilllaw wrote:ITE, you'd prbly want to be top 5-10% at USC for a SHOT a biglaw, not top 30%


This is a ridiculous underestimation.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
roadkilllaw wrote:ITE, you'd prbly want to be top 5-10% at USC for a SHOT a biglaw, not top 30%


This is a ridiculous underestimation.


How so? Are you saying that you don't need to be as high as top 5-10%? Or are you saying that you need to be even higher?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
roadkilllaw wrote:ITE, you'd prbly want to be top 5-10% at USC for a SHOT a biglaw, not top 30%


This is a ridiculous underestimation.


How so? Are you saying that you don't need to be as high as top 5-10%? Or are you saying that you need to be even higher?


To have a SHOT at BigLaw? I'm sure anyone in top quarter at USC still has a SHOT.

In the good economy, probably around half (or more) of USC had a shot at BigLaw. There are about half as many BigLaw SA positions now than there were a few years ago. So top quarter is a decent estimation.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: USC$ vs IU$$$

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Aha, thanks for the clarification. Are you currently in law school or a 0L?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyswo, Google [Bot] and 2 guests