Any Advice?! UC Hastings v. Loyola v. Pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Danteshek

Re: Any Advice?! UC Hastings v. Loyola v. Pepperdine

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 pm

East coast. That explains it. You clearly know very little about the LA schools.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't think Pepperdine should even be in this discussion. In my experience, Pepperdine's reputation in LA is not nearly as strong as Loyola's (despite U.S. News Rankings). Most people I have talked to outside of law school are incredibly surprised to hear that Pepperdine is ranked higher than LLS. LLS has a great alumni base in LA, so if that is where you want to be geographically, then it is a better choice than both Pepperdine and Hastings in my opinion.

Killing-Time

Postby Killing-Time » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Danteshek wrote:Hopefully, when you're at Pepperdine, you'll learn not to talk shit about Southwestern. Otherwise, you'll sound not only like a douchebag, but also ignorant.

You sir are an ignorant douche.

OP asked about deciding btw Hastings, Loyola, and Pepperdine and you attempt to turn the thread into a Southwester-admits thread.

If you can't handle someone questioning your logic that Southwestern, despite being unranked, is better than Hastings and the LA T2's for entertainment law or whatever, then best you don't post at all.

Have a little respect for the forum and quit being so "ignorant".

Killing-Time

Postby Killing-Time » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 pm

To original post:

I would focus on a preference you have that is less likely to change (such as geographically where you want to work) over just the entertainment law preference. Generally Hastings is a solid school behind Standford and Berk in Norcal, and Pepperdine -Loyola are solid school's behind UCLA and USC.

My personal favorite "preference" is where will you have the least debt. Its tough to guess what career you want now, but its nice to think that you could pursue any career including low paying PI work, with low enough debt to afford it.

I would leverage the schollys against each other, ppl supposedly do it successfully all the time; visit the schools; do some research and pick the best fit for your personality.

My other 2 cents is that entertainment law is purely networking followed by your resume and I don't see how an entertainment related journal is that beneficial unless it creates networking opportunities. In terms or resume, law review would look far better.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Nice 2nd post, alt. I joined this discussion because the topic was entertainment law generally. If you don't want to read what I have to say, you can hide my posts.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Danteshek wrote:East coast. That explains it. You clearly know very little about the LA schools.

yeah yeah yeah leave me alone.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:55 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:I don't think Pepperdine should even be in this discussion. In my experience, Pepperdine's reputation in LA is not nearly as strong as Loyola's (despite U.S. News Rankings). Most people I have talked to outside of law school are incredibly surprised to hear that Pepperdine is ranked higher than LLS. LLS has a great alumni base in LA, so if that is where you want to be geographically, then it is a better choice than both Pepperdine and Hastings in my opinion.

+1

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Okay, so regarding the entertainment law thing - I just talked to my uncle, who friend does in-house at Paramount, and her husband is also an entertainment lawyer. One of them went to Georgetown Law and one went to GWU. And I guess that makes this post completely irrelevant to the thread haha..

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 pm

I think the point here is networking: if a school isn't of such poor quality the their grads are closed out of jobs, then it's going to be how well you perform in school and how well you can make inroads for employment.

That being said, it would seem that schools with established connections for networking and alumni in the field are going to be very valuable. So I would certainly research the number and quality of standing relationships, as well as how the typical student actually gains employment in that field.

Proximity should likely play some role, but only as a function of the previous paragraphs networking considerations.

My guess (and I don't think this is tainted by my WL at Hastings, haha) is that Hastings will make it a bit more difficult to get in contact with the people you want jobs from. I might be wrong.

I would think Loyola's established alumni base would be great. However, if Southwestern seems to have some similar opportunities - reduction in debt is always a great opportunity to not be forced into a career. Ex: if you graduate from Loyola without the entertainment job and need to start paying off your debt, maybe you have to go into another area of practice to get the bills paid. Can you spend your time and energy on other another job search and networking? Probably not as much. If you graduate with little or no debt, the pressure to obtain a well paid job right away is less and you may be able to float yourself on unpaid internship experience for a little while to get your foot in the door.

These, however, are just my own thoughts and conjecture on the idea. One of the appealing things of a full ride to me are the lack of pressure post-graduation to find the job that pays the most despite a lack of interest (and I'm not even talking HIGH paying jobs, just jobs that pay the most to cope with the debt).

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:19 pm

That's a remarkably balanced analysis. Jobs in entertainment tend to be very low paying at first (especially the agencies). Having a bit of financial freedom could be the difference between being able to pursue the career you want, and getting stuck doing something unrelated.

ViP

Postby ViP » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Danteshek wrote:Hopefully, when you're at Pepperdine, you'll learn not to talk shit about Southwestern. Otherwise, you'll sound not only like a douchebag, but also ignorant.

You're one of the most condescending, arrogant members on this forum.

And that's saying a lot.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 pm

A lot of people think I'm arrogant in real life too. People either love me or hate me. I say what I think. I don't really care that much if it offends a few people.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 am

That's silly. Southwestern is where you go when you can't even get into Loyola.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 am

Danteshek wrote:A lot of people think I'm arrogant in real life too. People either love me or hate me. I say what I think. I don't really care that much if it offends a few people.

This guy kind of reminds me of Dwight from The Office. But I'm sure that even Dwight could do better than the 146 LSAT you need for Southwestern.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Yes, I am exactly like Dwight. In fact, Dwight is my hero. The parallels might break down however when you consider physical capacity. Somehow, I doubt Dwight can squat clean 250 lbs or front squat 310 lbs. Other than that, I don't mind the comparison. Dwight usually gets what he wants.
Last edited by Danteshek on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StyrofoamWar

Postby StyrofoamWar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Last edited by StyrofoamWar on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Danteshek wrote:Yes, I am exactly like Dwight. In fact, Dwight is my hero. The parallels might break down however when you consider physical capacity. Somehow, I doubt Dwight can squat clean 250 lbs or front squat 310 lbs. Other than that, I don't mind the comparison. Dwight usually gets what he wants.

This is an epic quote.

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Danteshek wrote:Nice 2nd post, alt. I joined this discussion because the topic was entertainment law generally. If you don't want to read what I have to say, you can hide my posts.

The topic was UC Hastings v. Loyola v. Pepperdine, actually. Not "my TTT is the best." Idiot.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:26 pm

MJMD wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Nice 2nd post, alt. I joined this discussion because the topic was entertainment law generally. If you don't want to read what I have to say, you can hide my posts.

The topic was UC Hastings v. Loyola v. Pepperdine, actually. Not "my TTT is the best." Idiot.

Dude go the fuck away....you have 39 posts and you want to talk shit? Dante is an actual law student who has given solid advice for a really long time here. Sure some of us will disagree with his views on Southwestern and other T3 schools, but give the man some respect.

And why dig up this thread just to flame Dante? This discussion was a week ago.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:48 pm

This thread reminds me that there is at least one benefit to attending a "TTT" law school. It is much easier to detect entitled and toolish law students and graduates. Not associating with such people (who often turn out to be unethical as well as toolish), is important to preserving one's reputation. Most of my friends from Harvard-Westlake and Wesleyan went to much better law schools. Fortunately, that experience for the most part did not turn them into arrogant douchebags like some people in this thread and on TLS in general.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”