HELP! Multiple Deposits ok? w/ scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
koco501

HELP! Multiple Deposits ok? w/ scholarship?

Postby koco501 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Ok so the 1st seat deposit deadline is approaching. I am waiting on two of my top choice schools that I have been Waitlisted at. HOWEVER, I have to send in a seat deposit and I cant decide between SLU and Loyola Chicago. I want to send in a deposit for both, but I got hefty scholarships to both schools. is this ok? TLS consensus says you shouldnt multiple deposit if you are tying up scholarship $ and that the schools might find out?

MURPH

Re: HELP! Multiple Deposits ok? w/ scholarship?

Postby MURPH » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Personally I am on a half dozen waitlists and I am expecting people like you to put down multiple deposits. I expect the waitlists to run their course through the summer. It doesn't bother me if you do that. That is the way the game is played. Just don't wait until the day before orientation to cancel, please. Some time in early June would be fine.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:58 pm

In the same boat...I feel your pain.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Lord knows schools play their part of the game well, you may as well play to.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Ask the schools what they think, I think it is best to be straightforward. If you are truly unsure, let them know. I asked and so far I've received one answer that it is okay if I really need the time to decide, but my deposit is non refundable. This seems reasonable to me.

If the school documentation you received doesn't specifically say you have to withdraw, then this is probably the answer you can expect to get too.

koco501

Postby koco501 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 pm

What I have read is that, if you put down two deposits (especially if you are tying up scholarship $) you risk your admission because sometimes schools communicate with each other and also LSAC advises against this and sends a report of where you have sent in a deposits. Can anyone confirm that there is no problem with sending in 2 deposits to 2 schools where you have been offered scholarship $?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Check with the schools - they've already admitted you and offered scholarships, they can't do anything bad if you ask them this question. Just make sure that if they say "no, you can't double deposit with us", that it's not just their preference, make sure it is explicit that you will have your offer revoked for doing so.

However, it seems that most schools don't forbid double deposits - they have waitlist to draw from and they'll keep a few hundred bucks for their troubles.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

I asked this a while back, and the answer I got was a double (or whatever) deposit at the 1st deadline is OK because the 1st deadline is early.

However, schools start sharing info at the 2nd deposit and it is highly frowned-upon to do so then.

But at the same time, I take the opinion that the school really doesn't care that much about you, and they are playing an admissions game, so do what you need to do for yourself and your family.

Here's the thread I started with some good info in it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111122

koco501

Postby koco501 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

So did you ask the admissions office about their deposit policy? I feel like that is risky and if you did how did you ask?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:04 pm

No, I didn't. It's not stated anywhere on the website of either school.

Really, if they have a problem with it, tough shit. I don't have a choice.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I didn't ask either, but I am going to do at least a double deposit for a short time as well (and even with $). It is pretty much the school's fault for taking over 5 months to accept me even though my apps were in in October, and I am still not complete everywhere. Can't make an informed decision if I don't know what all my options are.

EDIT: by complete I mean that I do not have a final decision. All apps are under review.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 pm

I always assumed that the only problem with throwing down multiple deposits was that you don't get money back.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:34 pm

I know of one school (don't worry its a tier 3) that explicitly states in the admissions packet (and their website) that they do not appreciate putting down multiple seat deposits. and they definitely threaten us with the possibility of losing our seat, if discovered through lsac, as someone else mentioned. It was my first acceptance and my very last choice, so (needless to say) I was a bit disillusioned. lol. I expected a little more "woo woo woo." In the end, I completely understand why it causes problems for other applicants. It's definitely an issue for me and tier 1s. But I'll take my place when it pops up, with no grudges on how long it takes.

fwiw, I think schools that have to worry most about under enrollment and reputation probably have a stronger stance about this, and if they do, they'll probably let you know up front. If you have to ask, you're likely in good shape.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”