Rutgers v. NY Law v. NE Law v. Widener Law v. the UNKNOWN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CSKNJ

Rutgers v. NY Law v. NE Law v. Widener Law v. the UNKNOWN

Postby CSKNJ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm from NJ and have been admitted to Rutgers-Camden, New York Law, New England Law, and Widener so far. I was rejected from Penn State and Northeastern, wait-listed at Michigan State, and am awaiting reply from Syracuse, Pitt., and CUNY. I can tell that many of you are really in the know about the academics and job prospects of various schools following graduation, and would like your opinion on which of these schools I should attend this fall. Financially NE Law comes in at 33.5K, Widener 32K a year, NY Law with a 15K scholarship I was granted would cost 27.5K, and Rutgers with a 5K scholarship and in-state tuition would cost just 16K.

Right now Rutgers is definitely my top-pick. I want to live in a major city during law school and with the money I save I could get a decent place in Philly, and its nice to have a choice between a New York, Boston, and Philadelphia school. From what I've read from Princeton review job prospects at Rutgers and perhaps NY Law seem the strongest, but I would love some board input on this. I would also like to hear if I should hold out for an admittance decision from either Pitt, Syracuse, or CUNY before making my decision. Just for reference my GPA/LSAT was 2.67/160. I think my personal statement was pretty strong since Rutgers mentioned it in my scholarship letter. Thanks.

erniesto

Re: Rutgers v. NY Law v. NE Law v. Widener Law v. the UNKNOWN

Postby erniesto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Easy call, cheapest school in a region you'd be happy to live in.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Dude - go to Rutgers. For you, it's the cheapest and highest ranked school. Rutgers has gr8 placement so you'll be better off.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Rutgers is TCR. The only ranked law school on your list also happens to be the cheapest by a substantial margin. I don't have the placement stats in front of me but I'm confident they'll show Rutgers is the strongest offer. Congrats on having such an easy choice.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:19 pm

CSKNJ wrote:I'm from NJ and have been admitted to Rutgers-Camden, New York Law, New England Law, and Widener so far. I was rejected from Penn State and Northeastern, wait-listed at Michigan State, and am awaiting reply from Syracuse, Pitt., and CUNY. I can tell that many of you are really in the know about the academics and job prospects of various schools following graduation, and would like your opinion on which of these schools I should attend this fall. Financially NE Law comes in at 33.5K, Widener 32K a year, NY Law with a 15K scholarship I was granted would cost 27.5K, and Rutgers with a 5K scholarship and in-state tuition would cost just 16K.

Right now Rutgers is definitely my top-pick. I want to live in a major city during law school and with the money I save I could get a decent place in Philly, and its nice to have a choice between a New York, Boston, and Philadelphia school. From what I've read from Princeton review job prospects at Rutgers and perhaps NY Law seem the strongest, but I would love some board input on this. I would also like to hear if I should hold out for an admittance decision from either Pitt, Syracuse, or CUNY before making my decision. Just for reference my GPA/LSAT was 2.67/160. I think my personal statement was pretty strong since Rutgers mentioned it in my scholarship letter. Thanks.

Rutgers without a doubt. It is the cheapest in best. I am from MA and I will tell you that some people are able to get jobs coming out of NE Law...but Lawyers that I have talked to that went to higher ranked (T1 and T2) schools and have good jobs in the area now have no love for that school. Certainly NOT worth the price tag....not to mention the cost of living in Boston is outrageous. I turned down almost a full scholly there to go to Rutgers-Newark. Syracuse is pretty expensive unless you get a big scholarship...but you certainly won't be near a major city. Personally...I loved Philly when I visited it...it is cheaper to live in than Boston and NY...and at 16k? You can't go wrong w/ Rutgers.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 pm

OP: If you were to start a poll, you would likely get 100% for Rutgers.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Another vote for Rutgers....it's a good school.
I don't even see how this is an issue....

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Is it worth waiting on Pitt's answer before committing to Rutgers? Pitt is an affordable T1 school especially if I can get a partial scholarship. From what I've read their employment prospects are about the same as Rutgers if not a little better.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:35 pm

CSKNJ wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Is it worth waiting on Pitt's answer before committing to Rutgers? Pitt is an affordable T1 school especially if I can get a partial scholarship. From what I've read their employment prospects are about the same as Rutgers if not a little better.

Pitt's great if you want to work in Pittsburgh/western PA or maybe DC. Rutgers Camden would place you better in Philly, and Newark would probably place you better in NYC.
If you want to work in NJ, go to Rutgers.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Pitt's great if you want to work in Pittsburgh/western PA or maybe DC. Rutgers Camden would place you better in Philly, and Newark would probably place you better in NYC.

I am interested in constitutional law and politics so D.C. is definitely an option. If not that then intellectual property or real estate law in which I would probably stay in the Philly/NY area. It seems that the two are close enough that you should be able to work in the same geographic and industry areas after school? Do I have this right or do curriculums come in to play in which Pitt is much better for those who want to go to Washington?

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:43 pm

CSKNJ wrote:

I am interested in constitutional law and politics so D.C. is definitely an option. If not that then intellectual property or real estate law in which I would probably stay in the Philly/NY area. It seems that the two are close enough that you should be able to work in the same geographic and industry areas after school? Do I have this right or do curriculums come in to play in which Pitt is much better for those who want to go to Washington?

If you like con law and politics, and might want DC, maybe see what Pitt has to offer you. They have alot of connections with DC these days...they're really trying to milk that market.

However, given your numbers, unless you're URM I don't think they're gonna offer you $$$ (hopefully I'm wrong...)

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:45 pm

What does URM mean? I just joined these boards yesterday and I'm not quite caught up on all the acronyms. So far TTT is my favorite. :)

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm

CSKNJ wrote:What does URM mean? I just joined these boards yesterday and I'm not quite caught up on all the acronyms. So far TTT is my favorite. :)

Under-represented minority.

Generally it means you're black or hispanic.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:54 pm

^^^

Thanks.

oski2003

Postby oski2003 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:06 pm

CSKNJ, I am curious as to where you went to undergrad? Do you mind if I email you personally? I had the same undergrad gpa so would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind. Let me know, thanks.

Alwaysmile618

Postby Alwaysmile618 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Camden has another vote from me. However, as awesome as Camden is, just remember that Philadelphia market has many other competitors in the city itself (Temple, U Penn, & even Penn state).

Rutgers is a great school with great professors that are very approachable and friendly. However, as the school review from the TLS suggests, you NEED to go visit Camden Jersey to see for yourself what you are getting into. I went to visit the campus in the middle of December on a gloomy day, and it was not the most friendly environment I have seen to say the least. Most people live in Victor and Victor does seem like a 'decent' place to live in. However, you really need to go visit the school.

Anyways, be excited and good luck with your choice

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 am

Rutgers camden. I now know 3 grads that are doing decent in Philly. You can't beat the tuition, and you would be very competitive in South Jersey

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 am

have you considered the tolls every day? it's a killer. 4 dollars a day.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:52 am

nillumin wrote:have you considered the tolls every day? it's a killer. 4 dollars a day.

OP is from NJ, and it's cheaper if you use EZPass.

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm

it's beeen said already, but Rutgers, Rutgers, Rutgers.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Rutgersv. NY Law v. NE Law v. Widener Law v. the UNKNOWN

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm

CSKNJ wrote:I'm from NJ and have been admitted to Rutgers-Camden, New York Law, New England Law, and Widener so far. I was rejected from Penn State and Northeastern, wait-listed at Michigan State, and am awaiting reply from Syracuse, Pitt., and CUNY. I can tell that many of you are really in the know about the academics and job prospects of various schools following graduation, and would like your opinion on which of these schools I should attend this fall. Financially NE Law comes in at 33.5K, Widener 32K a year, NY Law with a 15K scholarship I was granted would cost 27.5K, and Rutgers with a 5K scholarship and in-state tuition would cost just 16K.

Just say no.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:19 am

I chose Rutgers and am starting my 1L year in a little over a week. I took advantage of a summer jump start class so I only have to take Torts, Civ Pro, and Legal Writing. It seemed like a good way to lessen the stress level for my first semester and I was able to really bear down on my summer Contracts class.

Just say no.

Why?

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:57 pm

CSKNJ wrote:I chose Rutgers and am starting my 1L year in a little over a week. I took advantage of a summer jump start class so I only have to take Torts, Civ Pro, and Legal Writing. It seemed like a good way to lessen the stress level for my first semester and I was able to really bear down on my summer Contracts class.

Congrat!
I think you made a good choice!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”